Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Binge Watching

Baseball by Ken Burns. In the middle of episode two. What I've learned:

The owners were greedy. Especially that guy Spaulding.
Boston baseball fans were insufferable even in 1903.
John McGraw was pugnacious.
Ty Cobb was intense.
Walter Johnson threw real hard.
Black players were not especially welcome. Cap Anson, in particular, was against the concept.
Bob Costas, Billy Crystal, and George Plimpton have nothing of value whatsoever to offer. Buck O'Neill, Dan Okrent and Shelby Foote, however, do.
Narrators I've recognized who have not appeared on camera: Keith Carradine, Jason Robards, and Anthony Hopkins.
Apparently Burns never heard of "Hoss" Radbourn, because his only appearance is the image of him flipping the finger to the camera in the 1886 Boston Beaneaters' team image. If this is all the attention he garners, this entire series is null.

Baseball by Ken Burns. In the middle of episode two. What I've learned:

The owners were greedy. Especially that guy Spaulding.
Boston baseball fans were insufferable even in 1903.
John McGraw was pugnacious.
Ty Cobb was intense.
Walter Johnson threw real hard.
Black players were not especially welcome. Cap Anson, in particular, was against the concept.
Bob Costas, Billy Crystal, and George Plimpton have nothing of value whatsoever to offer. Buck O'Neill, Dan Okrent and Shelby Foote, however, do.
Narrators I've recognized who have not appeared on camera: Keith Carradine, Jason Robards, and Anthony Hopkins.
Apparently Burns never heard of "Hoss" Radbourn, because his only appearance is the image of him flipping the finger to the camera in the 1886 Boston Beaneaters' team image. If this is all the attention he garners, this entire series is null.

Its a great series. I remember Old Hoss when me and my friend used to study the baseball Encyclopedia back in the day. 73 CG in 73 starts one year. I agree on Bob Costas.

Still a fantastic series.

Last edited:
Its a great series. I remember Old Hoss when me and my friend used to study the baseball Encyclopedia back in the day. 73 CG in 73 starts one year. I agree on Bob Costas.

Still a fantastic series.

So, does Hoss get his due? It's okay to offer a "spoiler" alert.

So, does Hoss get his due? It's okay to offer a "spoiler" alert.

They generally go by era. Maybe a flash back now and then but time has passed Old Hoss. But he still lives in the hearts and minds of those stat crazy fans.

From an article I read:

The 11 episodes, each at least two hours long, are a commitment I normally struggled to keep. I would watch the first two episodes before wandering off. Life is busy until it comes to a screeching halt.

It is impossible to include every piece of baseball history in a documentary. Baseball missed events and people, like Old Hoss Radbourn and his 60 wins for the 1884 Providence Grays. However, Ken Burns does an excellent job of delving into plenty of baseball history. Every documentary has flaws.

^^^^^ I have to think that omitting Hoss was deliberate for some reason. ^^^^^

Back