Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

David Ortiz shot

They say he's stable so that's good. Can't go anywhere these days hope he has a quick recovery.

Last edited:
a couple newspapers here reporting he was shot by - or on teh orders of - a drug kingpin/local mobster who believed Ortiz was balling his special little lady

In related Dominican Republic news, 6 American tourists have died there recently, all in sketchy circumstances. A couple others got really sick. (link)

Couple this with all those stories of Americans going to Cancun and blacking out, or worse after a shot of tainted booze... yikes.

I don't know why anyone would go on one of those "low rent" trips to a cheap all-inclusive resort; these places are scum. Not the people there as much as the type of establishment... cutting corners on everything to maximize profits: liquor, food, safety, background checks on employees, cleanliness, etc. etc.

In related Dominican Republic news, 6 American tourists have died there recently, all in sketchy circumstances. A couple others got really sick. (link)

Couple this with all those stories of Americans going to Cancun and blacking out, or worse after a shot of tainted booze... yikes.

I don't know why anyone would go on one of those "low rent" trips to a cheap all-inclusive resort; these places are scum. Not the people there as much as the type of establishment... cutting corners on everything to maximize profits: liquor, food, safety, background checks on employees, cleanliness, etc. etc.

That literally sounds like every business in the United States.

Oh wait, Hard Rock chain IS owned/operated by the Yankees.

What a coincidence.

USA USA USA

I went to an all inclusive resort in Cancun last year. It was great.

I went to an all inclusive resort in Cancun last year. It was great.

I know the media likes to sensationalize stuff, but the stories I've read seem substantiated by others and the vicitims don't really have a motive to lie... good luck suing a Mexican resort in Mexican court. I guess if you stick to beer and don't get too drunk, you probably won't slip into a coma and die.

Although in one of the cases from the Dominican Republic, they got sick just sitting in their room, and their doctor told them the symptoms were similar to exposure to insecticide.

I guess the bottom line is, thousands of people still go without encountering any problems, right?

That literally sounds like every business in the United States.

Oh wait, Hard Rock chain IS owned/operated by the Yankees.

What a coincidence.

USA USA USA

touch?.

Still, I'd rather die from bad business in my own country, than some foreign one.

at least my estate can sue here.

I know the media likes to sensationalize stuff, but the stories I've read seem substantiated by others and the vicitims don't really have a motive to lie... good luck suing a Mexican resort in Mexican court. I guess if you stick to beer and don't get too drunk, you probably won't slip into a coma and die.

Although in one of the cases from the Dominican Republic, they got sick just sitting in their room, and their doctor told them the symptoms were similar to exposure to insecticide.

I guess the bottom line is, thousands of people still go without encountering any problems, right?

I pretty much stuck to Bud Light while on the resort. It was a newer place (maybe only 5 years old or so) so everything was really nice and clean. I saw some really cheap all inclusive deals and the resorts looked pretty sketchy.

I pretty much stuck to Bud Light while on the resort. It was a newer place (maybe only 5 years old or so) so everything was really nice and clean. I saw some really cheap all inclusive deals and the resorts looked pretty sketchy.

Ah,yeah. that's why I specifically called out "low rent" places... they don't poison, rob, or murder well-off folks.

Last time I was out of the country I was 18 and it was Windsor. So many great places to visit in the states going for a vacation to another country doesn't appeal to me.

Last time I was out of the country I was 18 and it was Windsor. So many great places to visit in the states going for a vacation to another country doesn't appeal to me.

I agree with you.

and I say that even as an open-minded person who thinks other Americans should be more international and open to other cultures and experiences. I really don't like leaving my own country though.

Want a tropical island? we have Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Hawaii. you could even go to Guam or Samoa.

Want mountains? we got those. deserts? hell yes. Great Lakes? Pine forests? Fall colors? Sandy beaches? All of the above. And we have big cities full of sophisticated people, small towns full of hillbillies, retirement communities full of old cranks, and college towns filled with drunk coeds. We have Chinatowns, Little Italies, Mexicantowns, etc.

You can see it all in America. Except our trains suck. But give it time.

Sounds like they arrested 7 or 8 guys in connection with this. Still not sure if Big Papi was shaggy flies with the lady or not.

I agree with you.

and I say that even as an open-minded person who thinks other Americans should be more international and open to other cultures and experiences. I really don't like leaving my own country though.

Want a tropical island? we have Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Hawaii. you could even go to Guam or Samoa.

Want mountains? we got those. deserts? hell yes. Great Lakes? Pine forests? Fall colors? Sandy beaches? All of the above. And we have big cities full of sophisticated people, small towns full of hillbillies, retirement communities full of old cranks, and college towns filled with drunk coeds. We have Chinatowns, Little Italies, Mexicantowns, etc.

You can see it all in America. Except our trains suck. But give it time.

We ain?t got the Eiffel Tower.

But France is pretty safe.

We ain?t got the Buckingham Palace.

But the UK is pretty safe.

We got Hollywood, though.

Nobody else got that.

We ain?t got the Eiffel Tower.

But France is pretty safe.

We ain?t got the Buckingham Palace.

But the UK is pretty safe.

We got Hollywood, though.

Nobody else got that.