Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Daytona 500 Thread

mhughes0021

Gonna try to give this a shot this year and post a race thread on sundays. I was not a nascar fan until a couple years ago. I work for Coke and i manage i district out here near the Fontana race track in Cali. Every year ive been put in charge in getting the surrounding area prepped for the incomming race fans. We have monster and Body Armor that also comes off our trucks and its a big time of year locally for their brands. All of a sudden i got sucked in. Partly cause the event is fun to go to every year, also its something to watch on sundays when football isnt in season. I mainly root for drivers that promote our brands: Kyle Busch (Nos), Kurt Busch (Monster), Joey Logano (Coke), Kyle Larson (Coke), Ryan Blaney (Body Armor). Not expecting a ton of inrace play by play comments but theres typically a lot to talk about post race amongst race fans....lately its been all about who Jimmy Johnson is going to hit this week. IF youre a race fan...come post your thoughts!

You ever been to a race before? When I was about 19-20 I went to the Michigan 500. When cars went by you I couldn't see anything.. Never went to one again. I liked watching Foyt, even read some books on him, and Johnny Rutherford. As you can see it's been awhile.

They still have this race? I thought they decided not to bother anymore after Danica Patrick retired.

I don't drink pop anymore but it's not Coke or Pepsi its Faygo Root beer.

Last edited:
Is Pepsi OK?

No lol. It's actually nearly non existent out here in cali. Mountain dew i remember being big back home in Michigan and as mitch said...faygo. people never heard of faygo in socal lol.

Last edited:
No lol. It's actually nearly non existent out here in cali. Mountain due i remember being big back home in Michigan and as mitch said...faygo. people never heard of faygo in socal lol.

If I ever have a soft drink it’s a Coke zero or diet Coke and that isn’t very often. My wife likes Coke, in fact, if we go to a place and she’s asked “is Pepsi OK?” We typically get up and leave.

But if Steve Carell, Cardi B and Lil Jon prefer Pepsi, as far as I’m concerned, for them, it’s OK.

Last edited:
If I ever have a soft drink it?s a Coke zero or diet Coke and that isn?t very often. My wife likes Coke, in fact, if we go to a place and she?s asked ?is Pepsi OK?? We typically get up and leave.

But if Steve Carell, Cardi B and Lil Jon prefer Pepsi, as far as I?m concerned, for them, it?s OK.

Coke zero orange vanilla comes out next week!

I just got back from the 500. It was the first time I have been. I took my son who is big on to racing and we went to the Coke Zero 400 last year. Wasn't very eventful until the last 30 laps. I grew up looking the Hendrick team: Johnson, Gordon, and Nadeau. Now most of the drivers I looked are retired as I try and watch with my son so I root for Johnson, Larson, and Chastain. I like Chastain because he has related to one of my neighbors and started in the same area as Florida as me.

If I ever have a soft drink it?s a Coke zero or diet Coke and that isn?t very often. My wife likes Coke, in fact, if we go to a place and she?s asked ?is Pepsi OK?? We typically get up and leave.

But if Steve Carell, Cardi B and Lil Jon prefer Pepsi, as far as I?m concerned, for them, it?s OK.

I also will only drink Coke (regular, NOT diet), and if they have Pepsi will order unsweetened ice tea.

Unsweetened ice tea is usually my go to drink anyways; I cut sweetened beverages out of my diet almost completely a couple years ago, but every once and a while will crave a Coke.

the fake taste of artificial sweeteners makes me want to gag. So do Pepsi and other cola drinks like Dr. Pepper.

NASCAR is boring . Now I do run into the Daytona once and awhile and then I saw they were doing stages ? What the heck happened to old school nascar racing ? All these new cars look alike.

Now mount Bathurst. In Australia. Now that is a wild racing.

https://youtu.be/YGykmw1M_Y4

Last edited:
Back