Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

National League Championship Series

biggunsbob

Both wildcard teams advance to Championship series for the 2nd year in a row as the Phillies look to go back to World Series.
This is Arizona?s first Championship series since 2007. They lost to the Rockies 4-0.
Philadelphia holds a 4-3 regular season advantage over Arizona.

Arizona (84-78) verses Philadelphia (90-72)
Playoffs
Arizona 2-0 over Milwaukee?????..Philadelphia 2-0 over Miami.
Arizona 3-0 over Los Angeles????..Philadelphia 3-1 over Atlanta.

Games #1 Arizona at Philadelphia??Phillies 5 Diamondbacks 3 Final.
Games #2 Arizona at Philadelphia?..Phillies 10 Diamondbacks 0 Final.
Game #3 Philadelphia at Arizona???Arizona 2 Philadelphia 1 Final.
Game #4 Philadelphia at Arizona???Arizona 6 Philadelphia 5 Final.
Game #5 Philadelphia at Arizona??.Phillies 6 Diamondbacks 1 Final.
Game #6 Arizona at Philadelphia??Diamondbacks 5 Phillies 1 Final.
Game #7 Arizona at Philadelphia?..Diamondbacks 4 Phillies 2 Final.
Arizona wins series 4-3

Last edited:
Baseball and Hockey are the two sports where the cream doesn't always rise to the top. Baseball is different because they use different starting pitching every night and due to the up and down nature of hitting (70-75% failure rate). Hockey is because a hot goalie can change a series or even an post season.

Fewest aggregate wins among four semi-finalists. First time all four teams have 90 wins or less.

Speaking of the Arizona team, now in the ALCS after only winning 84 games all season. What does the numbers look like, should the Diamonbacks beat the Phillies?.......

.....The 2006 Cardinals finished the regular season 83?78. This is the second-worst record ever for a league champion

the 1973 New York Mets finished 82?79) and the worst record ever for a World Series champion. Previously the 1987 Minnesota Twins finished 85?77 and defeated that year's Cardinals team in the 1987 World Series.

Speaking of the Arizona team, now in the ALCS after only winning 84 games all season. What does the numbers look like, should the Diamonbacks beat the Phillies?.......

.....The 2006 Cardinals finished the regular season 83?78. This is the second-worst record ever for a league champion

the 1973 New York Mets finished 82?79) and the worst record ever for a World Series champion. Previously the 1987 Minnesota Twins finished 85?77 and defeated that year's Cardinals team in the 1987 World Series.

Mets lost WS to As in 7. They were up 3-2 and lost Gs 6-7 in Oakland.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/14/deeper-discussions-91/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Once again, the playoffs this year are generating lots of discussion among both teams, corporate MLB and fans. TV shows, radio and national articles are focused on whether the modern day format is a good one.

MLB added another wild card slot, followed shortly thereafter with yet another one. Now, each league has 3 wild card slots each.

The reasons for these moves were financially based. It extended the playoff games thus generating more revenue from the number of games played to tv broadcast rights to advertising revenue.

But another factor was to keep fans involved, engaged and attending games. And you do that by giving hope to as many as possible that their team may play in October.

Among the actual teams, they have now come to universally label winning in the playoffs as a ?crapshoot.? No longer is it about pure talent or having one of the best records. It?s become about the luck of the draw, playoff positioning and who?s hot at the right time.

Everyone in baseball agrees that the October games are no longer about the best teams playing the best teams with the winner being known as the best team in baseball.

It has become a tournament instead where a team who barely scrapes into the playoffs can win a ring over another team with 103 wins.

What do you think about the playoff system?

Should it return to being contest of the best vs the best?

Or should it turn into a unpredictable tournament in which a variety of teams all have a fairly equal chance of winning?

Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts. Of course, you can also respond to other readers.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.

Ready?

What kind of October playoff format do you prefer?

1. A format in which the best only play the best.

2. An unpredictable tournament style in which anything can happen.

VOTE

I?m very torn on the new playoff format. I do like extra teams but hate shorter series.

But shorter series may help the tigers out one day. Skubal can have electric stuff sometimes.
He could dominate in the playoffs hopefully one day when we get back.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/14/deeper-discussions-91/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Once again, the playoffs this year are generating lots of discussion among both teams, corporate MLB and fans. TV shows, radio and national articles are focused on whether the modern day format is a good one.

MLB added another wild card slot, followed shortly thereafter with yet another one. Now, each league has 3 wild card slots each.

The reasons for these moves were financially based. It extended the playoff games thus generating more revenue from the number of games played to tv broadcast rights to advertising revenue.

But another factor was to keep fans involved, engaged and attending games. And you do that by giving hope to as many as possible that their team may play in October.

Among the actual teams, they have now come to universally label winning in the playoffs as a ?crapshoot.? No longer is it about pure talent or having one of the best records. It?s become about the luck of the draw, playoff positioning and who?s hot at the right time.

Everyone in baseball agrees that the October games are no longer about the best teams playing the best teams with the winner being known as the best team in baseball.

It has become a tournament instead where a team who barely scrapes into the playoffs can win a ring over another team with 103 wins.

What do you think about the playoff system?

Should it return to being contest of the best vs the best?

Or should it turn into a unpredictable tournament in which a variety of teams all have a fairly equal chance of winning?

Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts. Of course, you can also respond to other readers.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.

Ready?

What kind of October playoff format do you prefer?

1. A format in which the best only play the best.

2. An unpredictable tournament style in which anything can happen.

VOTE

I prefer the best of the best.

I just can?t root for the Phillies. They play in a band box park and I will not root for David Dombrowski. Guess that makes me bitter for the state he left Detroit in.

Nick Castellanos joins Reggie Jackson in 1977 as the only players in MLB history to have 5 home runs in a 3-game span in a postseason.

I just can?t root for the Phillies. They play in a band box park and I will not root for David Dombrowski. Guess that makes me bitter for the state he left Detroit in.

I said in another thread somewhere that I want the Rangers to win so that Bruce Bochy can join Sparky.

Just not sure who I want to win. So pissed the Tigers haven?t won a ws since 1984 I hope no team wins lol.

Phillies gagging away like the Astros. Only have 2 outs left.
One out left.

I REALLY DISLIKE TNE TIGERS OWNER. They better turn it around.

Last edited:
Back