Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Trial of the Chicago Seven

tinselwolverine

So, Jerry Rubin and Abby Hoffman is in a bookstore in Berkeley in the late 60s. Hoffman picks up a book and asks Rubin ?steal this book?? and Rubin answers ?do it.?

Oh.

I see now.

I'm going to try to watch this asap. I remember studying this case in law school... was notable for the judge trying to use an extended jail sentence for contempt of court for punitive purposes. I think that got overturned.

Tom Hayden, one of the greatest Michigan alumni, was a member of the Chicago Seven. He wrote about it as well... and how the CPD and feds followed him EVERYWHERE he went in Chicago that week. Like up close and personal... and constantly threatened to beat the shit out of him the entire time.

Oh.

I see now.

I'm going to try to watch this asap. I remember studying this case in law school... was notable for the judge trying to use an extended jail sentence for contempt of court for punitive purposes. I think that got overturned.

Tom Hayden, one of the greatest Michigan alumni, was a member of the Chicago Seven. He wrote about it as well... and how the CPD and feds followed him EVERYWHERE he went in Chicago that week. Like up close and personal... and constantly threatened to beat the shit out of him the entire time.

Watch it yesterday.

I read both books I referred to in the OP in my slightly radical youth.

Didn?t steal either one of them; read ?em both second hand, pretty sure.

Good reads at the time.

I heard an interview with Sasha Baron Cohen about this movie. I guess it was in development for a decade or so and was going to be a Spielberg movie at first. Cohen was interested the entire time, obsessed even, wrote a paper on it in college, but there was a lot of concern about his accent. Cohen recorded himself over and over practicing a 2 minute monolog. After a couple dozen recordings or whatever it was, he's finally dialed it in and sends it to Spielberg. When he finally gets a call back, they want to talk to him about the role, but say that the first pile of recordings weren't so great, but the last one could work - he sent the wrong CD, one with all the practice recordings. Spielberg was patient enough to keep listening after all those bad efforts.

edit:looked up some details

Last edited:
I heard an interview with Sasha Baron Cohen about this movie. I guess it was in development for a decade or so and was going to be a Spielberg movie at first. Cohen was interested the entire time, obsessed even, wrote a paper on it in college, but there was a lot of concern about his accent. Cohen recorded himself over and over practicing a 2 minute monolog. After a couple dozen recordings or whatever it was, he's finally dialed it in and sends it to Spielberg. When he finally gets a call back, they want to talk to him about the role, but say that the first pile of recordings weren't so great, but the last one could work - he sent the wrong CD, one with all the practice recordings. Spielberg was patient enough to keep listening after all those bad efforts.

edit:looked up some details

Was it Borat?

Or Ali G?

Back