Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Top 5 Sporting Events I?d Want to See In Person

byco42

5. Dave Wottle’s 800-meter win in the 1972 Olympics.
4. Game 3, 1932 World Series, Ruth’s “so-caled” shot.
3. Francis Ouimet’s 1913 US Open Playoff Win Over Harry Vardon and Ted Ray.
2. Ali-Liston I, Feb 25, 1964
1. Sixth Race, Jamaica Race Course, Queens NY. 6-27-1949. Air Lift (full brother of Triple-Crown-Winner Assault) breaks his leg, and WC Heinz writes his account from the press box on a typewriter in less than hour, on deadline. I’d want to be in the seat next to Heinz’s.

Honorable mention: Miracle on Ice, Feb 22, 1980. Bob Beamon’s record-breaking long jump in 1968. Don Larson’s perfect WS game in 1956, Game 8 1972 Summit Series.

Last edited:
Pheidippides delivers news of the Victory of Marathon, around 500 BC.

David slays Goliath, 1100 BC.

Billy Martin Jimmy Piersall fight underneath the stands, 1952.

Babe Ruth eats 100 hot dogs and bangs 100 whores, 1914-1948.

Kaepernick kneels for the national anthem the first time, 2016.

Honorable mention: Mickey Mantle gets liver transplant, dies anyway, 1995.

5. 1940 Tom Harmon gets a standing ovation from the Ohio State crowd, as Michigan wins in Columbus, 40-0, the last time Ohio State fans are ever gracious or decent in defeat.
4. 10 Cent Beer Night - Cleveland Indians vs. Texas Rangers, 6/4/74
3. Snow Bowl - 1950 Michigan vs. Ohio State
2. Black power salute, Mexico City 1968 Summer Olympics
1. 1969 - Michigan defeats Ohio State in football, 24-12

Honorable Mention:
- July 2, 1941, NYY vs Boston, Yankee Stadium, Joe DiMaggio breaks the all time hitting streak record (45 games, eventually growing to 56).

5. 1940 Tom Harmon gets a standing ovation from the Ohio State crowd, as Michigan wins in Columbus, 40-0, the last time Ohio State fans are ever gracious or decent in defeat.
4. 10 Cent Beer Night - Cleveland Indians vs. Texas Rangers, 6/4/74
3. Snow Bowl - 1950 Michigan vs. Ohio State
2. Black power salute, Mexico City 1968 Summer Olympics
1. 1969 - Michigan defeats Ohio State in football, 24-12

Honorable Mention:
- July 2, 1941, NYY vs Boston, Yankee Stadium, Joe DiMaggio breaks the all time hitting streak record (45 games, eventually growing to 56).

Those are also good choices!

I was wondering that you might have gone with ?Jesus endures the stations of the cross,? or the Battle of Civetot, or the Expulsion of Jesuits from the Spanish Monarchy, or something of that nature.

I?m glad you didn?t.

Those are all in very bad taste, especially that first one.

Pheidippides delivers news of the Victory of Marathon, around 500 BC.

David slays Goliath, 1100 BC.

Billy Martin Jimmy Piersall fight underneath the stands, 1952.

Babe Ruth eats 100 hot dogs and bangs 100 whores, 1914-1948.

Kaepernick kneels for the national anthem the first time, 2016.

Honorable mention: Mickey Mantle gets liver transplant, dies anyway, 1995.

Here are some from literature/mythology:

William Tell splits the apple.

Ferdinand the Bull takes a knee.

Achilles battles Hector.

Achilles takes one in the heel.

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark named co-champions of Panem.

Those are also good choices!

I was wondering that you might have gone with ?Jesus endures the stations of the cross,? or the Battle of Civetot, or the Expulsion of Jesuits from the Spanish Monarchy, or something of that nature.

I?m glad you didn?t.

Those are all in very bad taste, especially that first one.

some of those I'd consider more "historic" than "sporting" events... but maybe there's not as much of a difference in the cosmic sense of things... all are examples of the struggles of man against man.

I don't think I'd like to see anyone get tortured or definitely not crucified. I would like to see some historic battles though... maybe even a couple assassinations.

Here are some from literature/mythology:

William Tell splits the apple.

Ferdinand the Bull takes a knee.

Achilles battles Hector.

Achilles takes one in the heel.

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark named co-champions of Panem.

Supposedly it's a myth that the Roman general who captured Carthage wept as he watched it burn, knowing someday Rome would burn as well. I'd like to have seen that moment... sounds poignant.

I would like to go into the future and see the following:

2020 WS final
2021 superbowl
2020 NBA final game
2021 WS final
2022 superbowl

After watching those games in the future I would come back, bet huge on them all, and retire early.

I would like to go into the future and see the following:

2020 WS final
2021 superbowl
2020 NBA final game
2021 WS final
2022 superbowl

After watching those games in the future I would come back, bet huge on them all, and retire early.
If you're going to the future get the 'Grays Sports Almanac' 2070 edition.

If you're going to the future get the 'Grays Sports Almanac' 2070 edition.

That?s what I was thinking - why just one year when you can do it every day for a lifetime, like Biff Tannen?

And we all know who he was based on?

1974 - Ali vs Foreman
1980 - Miracle on Ice - US vs USSR
1997 - Tiger Woods wins the Masters
1997 - Stanley Cup - Detroit Red Wings vs Philadelphia Flyers - Game 4
2017 - Patriots erase 28-3 lead to win Super Bowl LI

1-5. Lions 1957 Championship, that's the only way I will ever see them win a championship.

1-5. Lions 1957 Championship, that's the only way I will ever see them win a championship.

On the flip side, it would be kinda fun to have been at the game when they clinched the 0-16 record.

or maybe the last preseason game of that same year, when they went 4-0, just to hear if anyone there was impressed or said "things are looking good" after that start.

On the flip side, it would be kinda fun to have been at the game when they clinched the 0-16 record.

or maybe the last preseason game of that same year, when they went 4-0, just to hear if anyone there was impressed or said "things are looking good" after that start.

I went to the first game of the year in ATL. First play was Matt Ryan's first pass for a touchdown. My sister in law took a picture of my brother and I and we had the look of 0-16.

With a 2008 QB crew of Orlovsky, Kitna, Stanton, Henson, and Culpepper, it’s astounding that the Lions went winless that year.

5. Dave Wottle?s 800-meter win in the 1972 Olympics.
4. Game 3, 1932 World Series, Ruth?s ?so-caled? shot.
3. Francis Ouimet?s 1913 US Open Playoff Win Over Harry Vardon and Ted Ray.
2. Ali-Liston I, Feb 25, 1964
1. Sixth Race, Jamaica Race Course, Queens NY. 6-27-1949. Air Lift (full brother of Triple-Crown-Winner Assault) breaks his leg, and WC Heinz writes his account from the press box on a typewriter in less than hour, on deadline. I?d want to be in the seat next to Heinz?s.

Honorable mention: Miracle on Ice, Feb 22, 1980. Bob Beamon?s record-breaking long jump in 1968. Don Larson?s perfect WS game in 1956, Game 8 1972 Summit Series.

I was really struggling with what Ali fight I'd want to see most. Quite a few can't miss events.

I was really struggling with what Ali fight I'd want to see most. Quite a few can't miss events.

Being the 9-1 underdog and boxing in a half-filled venue, in contrast to what Ali?s win catalyzed and the systematic way he dismantled Liston are all reasons why I?d want to be there, had I had only one match of his to select.

The Ernie Terrell ?What?s my Name?? Fight would rank #2. #3 would be Ali-Frazier I. Never in my lifetime was a fight so anticipated as that one among the masses.

Being the 9-1 underdog and boxing in a half-filled venue, in contrast to what Ali’s win catalyzed and the systematic way he dismantled Liston are all reasons why I’d want to be there, had I had only one match of his to select.

The Ernie Terrell “What’s my Name?” Fight would rank #2. #3 would be Ali-Frazier I. Never in my lifetime was a fight so anticipated as that one among the masses.

I based my 'Rumble in the Jungle' choice based on how electric the crowd was. That was my reasoning behind all my picks actually. I forgot about the Terrell fight, that's probably a very underrated choice.

I don't give two hoots about the Patriots but I can only imagine the wave of emotion from one fan base to the other in the stadium.

Last edited:
Back