Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Unwritten rules

I mean, what about trotting out a guy who's not a pitcher to pitch? And he under-hands a 46-mph helium balloon up to the plate? How can the count even be relevant? How is that "respecting your opponent?"

I say hit it over the Dan Ryan Expressway.

The one I?ll never understand is the people who get mad about bunting to break up a no hitter. I don?t care if it?s 20-0, I?m trying to get on base any way I can. If you?re down 28-0 in football in the 4th are you supposed to just take a knee every time?

Last edited:
The one I?ll never understand is the people who get mad about bunting to break up a no hitter. I don?t care if it?s 20-0, I?m trying to get on base any way I can. If you?re down 28-0 in football in the 4th are you supposed to just take a knee every time?

Welllll.... there's a threshhold, I think. If it's late and close, bunting for a base hit should be expected for certain hitters. But if it's "20-0" as you state, bunting for a base hit in any situation is pretty ill-advised.

Welllll.... there's a threshhold, I think. If it's late and close, bunting for a base hit should be expected for certain hitters. But if it's "20-0" as you state, bunting for a base hit in any situation is pretty ill-advised.

As Herm Edwards once said ?you play to win the game!?

And maybe 20-0 is extreme, but if it?s 6-0 I?m really supposed to not bunt my way aboard? I?ve seen crazy things happen, what if the starter is taxed and the bullpen includes the likes of Joe Jimenez and Phil Coke should they yank the starter if I bunt my way on?

And maybe 20-0 is extreme, but if it?s 6-0 I?m really supposed to not bunt my way aboard? I?ve seen crazy things happen, what if the starter is taxed and the bullpen includes the likes of Joe Jimenez and Phil Coke should they yank the starter if I bunt my way on?

Seems like these players believe that the marginal score is 3-0.

Link

And, then, the shift changes everything. Do that, and all bunts are on.

The thing is if you're way down why bunt, just a wasted at bat. The chance of beating out a bunt is smaller than tying to swing with the bat. So in a situation like this you're not bunting to get on-base but rather to get on the pitchers nerve and nothing else.

Last edited:
CC sees the situation correctly. LaRussa's brand of "ethics" is extinct. Let the boys play and let them work it out, too.

The 10-run rule is interesting, but fans would feel cheated watching a partial game, especially if the home team was the winner and they have the option to leave at any time.

I read that the issue was Larussa gave the take sign. And he ignored it.

Back