Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

King Felix: 7 years $175 million

Yeah it's very likely we see Verlander sign something around 7/180-185m now

Yeah it's very likely we see Verlander sign something around 7/180-185m now

I dunno, Verlander is older than Felix. JV will be 31 when his contract is up. I think he gets similar money, but I don't know if he gets 7 years. Probably right around 5 years @ $25 million/per also.

Both pitchers were still under contract for 2 more seasons. Felix is 3 years younger then Verlander however I don't believe Justin would sign basically a 3 years extension that in itself is not going to happen and that is basically what you are saying.

Felix's new deal voids the final 2 years\39.5m of his old deal and replaces it with a 7 years deal with a full no trade clause. He raised his salary in 2013 and 2014 from 19.5 and 20m to an annual 25m.

I would suspect Verlander to sign an extension instead of basically a new contract. 5 year 125m extension as you stated would have his grand total to 7 years 165m total.

Let's not forget in 2009 Verlander signed his 5/80 extension 2 weeks after Felix signed his 5/78 extension.

I think he wants to be the highest paid RH pitcher in all of baseball which honestly he should be and to do that it would at least take an extension of 5 years 140 million pushing his grand total to 7 years 180 million.

Both pitchers were still under contract for 2 more seasons. Felix is 3 years younger then Verlander however I don't believe Justin would sign basically a 3 years extension that in itself is not going to happen and that is basically what you are saying.

Felix's new deal voids the final 2 years\39.5m of his old deal and replaces it with a 7 years deal with a full no trade clause. He raised his salary in 2013 and 2014 from 19.5 and 20m to an annual 25m.

I would suspect Verlander to sign an extension instead of basically a new contract. 5 year 125m extension as you stated would have his grand total to 7 years 165m total.

Let's not forget in 2009 Verlander signed his 5/80 extension 2 weeks after Felix signed his 5/78 extension.

I think he wants to be the highest paid RH pitcher in all of baseball which honestly he should be and to do that it would at least take an extension of 5 years 140 million pushing his grand total to 7 years 180 million.

To quote Teddy KGB.....pay that man his money.

To quote Teddy KGB.....pay that man his money.

There is a point of no return.

If Verlander isn't willing to give the Tigers a discount, then I say let him walk. Loyalty works both ways.

There is a point of no return.

If Verlander isn't willing to give the Tigers a discount, then I say let him walk. Loyalty works both ways.

As much as I love JV I agree. You do not want to get into the situation the Yankees are in where all their players are to old and they cant trade them because they are making way to much money to move.

What who's saying, because I said nothing of the kind.

I think the difference between who's better with Verlander and Hernandez is less of a #1 and a #2, and more of a 1a, and a 1b type thing.

The new tv revenue deal(s) should give the Tigers some extra money for Verlander, and Cabrera a year later.
As long as Mr. Ilitch is alive, I see it happening and spending to keep his star players.
Verlander any where from 5/6/7 years mid to high 20M-25to29? same with Miguel.
It would be a pr nightmare for the Tigers not signing/extending JV and MC,
and that would put them into free agency and the high bid into 30million$$ territory. teams willing or that have spent more than Tigers....dodgers, yankees, couple other teams at least,
jmo.

There are very few players I say "pay him whatever he wants" but JV is one of those. It would be nice to have such a great player to stay here for his whole Career. Not many of those these days..

Last edited:
The real question is whether JV uses Felix as his benchmark like he did in 2009 OR waits for LA to give Kershaw's expected HUGE extension as his benchmark. Kershaw will probably be somewhere close to 8 years 185-200m especially giving the free spending Dodgers.

And btw is it now being reported as a 5 year 135.5m extension to his 2 years 39.5 million left for Felix and not a new contract. Still the grand total is 7 years 175 million either way.

I have no problem paying top dollar during a player's prime years (26-32).

Name one player that received top dollar, long term contract after the age of 32 (Verlander will be 32 to start the 2015 season) that "earned" the entire contract.

At 32, Verlander could be signed to 7 years as his "last" contract. But, I would have the later years as option years and/or only kick in if certain criteria was met. There is no way I would give him 7/$175 Mil straight up. Maybe 7/$140 Mil with incentives and option years. Ultimately, if he continued to perform, then he could have a chance at $175 Mil, or more. I would not give players over 31 guaranteed monies past 5 years.

Verlander won't get an additional 7 years at 32. I believe you can look at the Hernandez extension and basically see the bar at least that were looking at a 5 year extension on top of his 2 remaining years on his current deal. Were looking with that figure with him being here from ages 30-36 during the life of the contract.

I have no problem paying top dollar during a player's prime years (26-32).

Name one player that received top dollar, long term contract after the age of 32 (Verlander will be 32 to start the 2015 season) that "earned" the entire contract.

At 32, Verlander could be signed to 7 years as his "last" contract. But, I would have the later years as option years and/or only kick in if certain criteria was met. There is no way I would give him 7/$175 Mil straight up. Maybe 7/$140 Mil with incentives and option years. Ultimately, if he continued to perform, then he could have a chance at $175 Mil, or more. I would not give players over 31 guaranteed monies past 5 years.

Most likely they'll redo the current contract in the next year or so. And it will be big money..

Apparently they are concerned with his elbow.

As the Seattle Mariners have been in discussions with Felix Hernandez about a record-setting extension, concern has developed over the condition of his pitching elbow, a source says.

The team and its franchise player had talked about a framework of a deal that would pay $175 million over the next seven seasons.

But as of Sunday afternoon, sources say, the Mariners and Hernandez are not close to finishing an extension, because there are issues that the two sides are sorting through.

The elbow issue is perceived by at least one of the parties in the deal as being a possible impediment to the completion of the new contract.

"It's an issue," said one source.

Hernandez has been a workhorse in his career, throwing 1620 1/3 innings already; in fact, since 1969, only three pitchers have thrown more innings before their 27th birthday, according to Elias Sports Bureau -- Bert Blyleven, Fernando Valenzuela and Dwight Gooden.

But as salaries have skyrocketed over the last 15 years, teams have become increasingly wary of medical concerns.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...tle-mariners-felix-hernandez-deal-source-says

IMO, if i was in JV's shoes i would absolutely work a deal out now.

could he make more money in a contract done after another brilliant year? sure, but i think it would be a relatively minimal % increase compared to the larger % decrease he might be faced with if he has an off year or has an injury, and if either of those happen he will likely roll the dice and delay signing till the following year to prove he is back to his old form and the offer would likely only be similar to what he will get now.

just seems like a small reward/big risk on his end to wait another year. now if the tigers are willing to roll the dice and see what happens next year, that is foolish on their part because the contract will likely be for a longer period of time into JVs twilight years where they are paying him way too much relative to his performance as he approaches 40. very few pitchers have been able to perform at same level, and that has traditionally been thanks to their willingness to change their style. nolan ryan and roger clemens are the only 2 i can think of that were able to maintain their style into their 40s, and clemens used roids. not sure about nolan, he might have, but he always came across to me as one of those "once in a lifetime" type of guys able to perform at a high level after others lost their ability. dude was a rancher and was able to wrestle steers for crying out loud. still love the way he whooped on ventura, LMAO! best baseball fight ever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuGp2ZRGIqI&feature=player_detailpage

sorry, bit of a thread highjacking, but hopefully you enjoyed watching that clip :D

Back