Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ulis decision coming soon

Sbee

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2013/09/10/tyler-ulis-father-says-to-expect-a-decision-soon/

i'm happy he didn't commit at UK, I thought that was a possibility. he's a very important recruit for us, a good 4yr point guard, cousin of MSU player, Chicago recruit, etc. I think getting him would definitely help with Booker and maybe Alexander. we are also in desperate need of a PG with appling gone and Jones going elsewhere along with Davis to Dayton.

prediction 50% MSU, 45% UK, 5% Iowa. I am saying this because of the interviews with his dad where he says that he sees Tyler as a 4yr player and they want a coach who can help him improve his game. a lot of the quotes talk about nothing promised at UK, meaning that they'll take a PG in every class. also, MSU is a known to him, he knows what he would get there with Izzo from Walton. of course UK is hard to turn down and nobody would blame him for going there.

this is a key recruit for MSU, i'd feel a lot better about 2014 with him as a verbal commit.

FWIW Calapari had an in home with Tyus Jones today.

Ulis' s dad said that his son and tyus jones will not be playing together. Ulis is going to decide within 10 days while jones has an official to uk 9/27. I doubt call promised to stop recruiting jones because of ulis. The timing doesn't look good for Kentucky, I'd say more likely msu or iowa.

Ulis' s dad said that his son and tyus jones will not be playing together. Ulis is going to decide within 10 days while jones has an official to uk 9/27. I doubt call promised to stop recruiting jones because of ulis. The timing doesn't look good for Kentucky, I'd say more likely msu or iowa.

feeling more confident about this one by the day, his dad said that he doesn't see his son as a one and done and they want to be somewhere that they develop talent and where his game will evolve. of course UK doesn't run a complex offense, just dribble drive, which is PG heavy but MSU runs a more complex offense with sets that take a while to learn. hence freshmen tend to have more of a learning curve early but develop more as they stay in the system.

Try next TWO days. He's announcing Friday night.

Also, I like your optimism, but I still consider Kentucky the favorite. Honestly, I'd put Iowa 2nd. Fran was first to offer him and has really been on him through the whole process. Even yesterday he was at his house.

Also, looks like UCLA and Illinois are the leaders for Snider at the moment. Could change this weekend though with him visiting. At least we'll know the outcome of Ulis by then.

Last edited:
Try next TWO days. He's announcing Friday night.

Also, I like your optimism, but I still consider Kentucky the favorite. Honestly, I'd put Iowa 2nd. Fran was first to offer him and has really been on him through the whole process. Even yesterday he was at his house.

Also, looks like UCLA and Illinois are the leaders for Snider at the moment. Could change this weekend though with him visiting. At least we'll know the outcome of Ulis by then.

Word is he's officially going to uk.

Hoops recruiting sucks

Word is he's officially going to uk.

Hoops recruiting sucks
Booker and Okafor were with him at the Kentucky alumni game Monday as well.

This had the makings of being a GREAT year for MSU recruiting and is turning out to be such a disappointment. Izzo should just stop recruiting anyone that gets an offer from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or N Carolina and move on. Sad thing is, we let some good instate talent get away because we were tied up with these "blue chippers".

If Ulis(and Booker) indeed go to Kentucky, Snider and Blackmon become absolute MUST GET'S or this could go down as one of the biggest recruiting blunders ever.

Booker and Okafor were with him at the Kentucky alumni game Monday as well.

This had the makings of being a GREAT year for MSU recruiting and is turning out to be such a disappointment. Izzo should just stop recruiting anyone that gets an offer from Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or N Carolina and move on. Sad thing is, we let some good instate talent get away because we were tied up with these "blue chippers".

If Ulis(and Booker) indeed go to Kentucky, Snider and Blackmon become absolute MUST GET'S or this could go down as one of the biggest recruiting blunders ever.

Izzo has an in home with ulis tomorrow fwiw. One of uliss aau teammates is saying he told him its uk. Hooe he has a change of heart but not holding my breath

Ohh boy. If we lose Uliss, I will be very dissapointed. How are we losing out on these recruits ? Last year we swung and missed, and so far this year we are striking out. I dont understand how all the sudden big time recruits don't want to play for Izzo ? Word is we have another PG recruit coming in this weekend from Wisconsin, so Izzo might already know whats up with Uliss, and Snider is picking tonight. I cant believe Walton couldn't talk his own cousin into going here but Cal can convince him in a visit. I know nothing is solid right now, just a lot of rumors on twitter, but the same rumors were right last time we went through this shit.

So it sounds like Jones probably to Duke, Uliss to UK, Snider to Ucla, and all of their friends will fall in line, while were standing there with our pants down. If this all happens, I feel bad for Izzo. It sounds like he has really put in the time recruiting the big names only to watch them walk away to someone else who puts in half the effort.

Ohh boy. If we lose Uliss, I will be very dissapointed. How are we losing out on these recruits ? Last year we swung and missed, and so far this year we are striking out. I dont understand how all the sudden big time recruits don't want to play for Izzo ? Word is we have another PG recruit coming in this weekend from Wisconsin, so Izzo might already know whats up with Uliss, and Snider is picking tonight. I cant believe Walton couldn't talk his own cousin into going here but Cal can convince him in a visit. I know nothing is solid right now, just a lot of rumors on twitter, but the same rumors were right last time we went through this shit.

So it sounds like Jones probably to Duke, Uliss to UK, Snider to Ucla, and all of their friends will fall in line, while were standing there with our pants down. If this all happens, I feel bad for Izzo. It sounds like he has really put in the time recruiting the big names only to watch them walk away to someone else who puts in half the effort.

I don't blame ulis for picking uk.

In the end, mudiay to smu really screwed us

Well there may still be reason to smile after all. Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn has scheduled a visit this weekend. He has offers from Kansas, Indiana, Minny, Kansas St, Creighton, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Iowa. Narrowed down to Indiana, Minny and Oklahoma.

This kid reminds me of Kalin the way he can get to the basket. This is great news.

Last edited:
Tom Izzo and Michigan State have given up on Ulis. ESPN insider said it. What a shame, just feels like we lose out on every big name. I feel bad for Izzo more than anything, he's one of the last good guys in college basketball.

Well there may still be reason to smile after all. Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn has scheduled a visit this weekend. He has offers from Kansas, Indiana, Minny, Kansas St, Creighton, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Iowa. Narrowed down to Indiana, Minny and Oklahoma.

This kid reminds me of Kalin the way he can get to the basket. This is great news.

Let me know when he commits and ill get excited

Tom Izzo and Michigan State have given up on Ulis. ESPN insider said it. What a shame, just feels like we lose out on every big name. I feel bad for Izzo more than anything, he's one of the last good guys in college basketball.

Hard to compete witb uk when these guys get to live the nba life once they step on campus

You sound like a Michigan fan talking about SEC football.

That's not a good thing.

Have you seen their players dorm? Couple that with the fact that they just have to stay eligible for one semester and don't have to make progress toward a degree, its rhe nba life with a small amount of bs classes.

The problem is the 1yr rule.

Have you seen their players dorm? Couple that with the fact that they just have to stay eligible for one semester and don't have to make progress toward a degree, its rhe nba life with a small amount of bs classes.

The problem is the 1yr rule.

I never liked the rule implementation. The NBA did it so their front offices would have more information and be less likely to make huge mistakes (doesn't feel like that actually worked). The one year rule didn't improve education or the NCAA product really at all. All it's really done is created a greater divide between the haves and have-nots, plus created monsters out of coaches.

Also, let's be honest, Calipari's teams have already seen sanctions and had wins taken away. Everyone knows he's gaming the system, the NCAA is just too inept to do anything about it. That's pretty much public knowledge at this point.

I do feel a little bad for Izzo, one of the biggest and brightest coaches in the game, but at the same time this isn't new. It's possible that Izzo just isn't the top tier recruiter that other high profile coaches are. He can legitimately say he's one of the best X's and O's guys out there, but that doesn't really get players on campus.

I would much rather see this kid go to Iowa and have to play against him than see that scumbag basketball factory just walk in and scoop up another kid. They didn't even offer him until Aug 16th - how long were they even recruiting him?

I would much rather see this kid go to Iowa and have to play against him than see that scumbag basketball factory just walk in and scoop up another kid. They didn't even offer him until Aug 16th - how long were they even recruiting him?
It's a domino effect. We're doing the same thing with Nairn.

On paper I believe the 1 year rule is a good idea, but in actuality it is completely ruining college basketball, and the play overall has really suffered I think. It's like the NBA minor leagues with UK, KU, Duke, UNC, etc.

Too bad about Ulis, I think we are in some serious trouble once again recruiting wise, future looking awfully bleak at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't blame ulis for picking uk.

In the end, mudiay to smu really screwed us

I still want to know how in the hell you turn down UK, KU, Louisville, and Arizona for SMU. Such a waste.

Back