Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ulis decision coming soon

Sounds like Lyles and Cliff are going to the same college. Which isn't good for us. Lyles all but said he was going to Kansas and Cliffs girl, I believe is also going to Kansas. This recruiting year is getting worse and worse. So far, big dissapointment.

Sounds like Lyles and Cliff are going to the same college. Which isn't good for us. Lyles all but said he was going to Kansas and Cliffs girl, I believe is also going to Kansas. This recruiting year is getting worse and worse. So far, big dissapointment.

I think that was sarcastic from cliff because of a roy a Schmidt tweet earlier. He most likely takes the money from kansas but that doesnt mean he's playing with lyles.

Also, lyles dad went to sexton fwiw

I think that was sarcastic from cliff because of a roy a Schmidt tweet earlier. He most likely takes the money from kansas but that doesnt mean he's playing with lyles.

Also, lyles dad went to sexton fwiw

I don't think it matters where his dad went to high school - Lyles has zero interest in MSU.

I still don't care if our football and basketball players don't have success at the pro level - happy for them if they do but I truly believe these kids should be student athletes and they get value from the University for their efforts. But clearly, Izzo's NBA roster hurts in recruiting. If you want to argue that it doesn't hurt, go ahead but if you think it's a differentiating strength, you're nuts.

I don't think it matters where his dad went to high school - Lyles has zero interest in MSU.

I still don't care if our football and basketball players don't have success at the pro level - happy for them if they do but I truly believe these kids should be student athletes and they get value from the University for their efforts. But clearly, Izzo's NBA roster hurts in recruiting. If you want to argue that it doesn't hurt, go ahead but if you think it's a differentiating strength, you're nuts.

I think you've got the flipped around, Izzo's recruiting hurts his chance at getting players to the NBA. All of these guys Cal gets were going to be in the NBA if they went to any school, heck, half of them could have gone straight to the NBA from high school. the guys that end up in the league because of the coach are guys like Alan Anderson or Draymond and even Burke & Hardaway. if a guys a top 10 recruit and goes to the NBA after a year, is it really due to the college coach?

I think you've got the flipped around, Izzo's recruiting hurts his chance at getting players to the NBA. All of these guys Cal gets were going to be in the NBA if they went to any school, heck, half of them could have gone straight to the NBA from high school. the guys that end up in the league because of the coach are guys like Alan Anderson or Draymond and even Burke & Hardaway. if a guys a top 10 recruit and goes to the NBA after a year, is it really due to the college coach?

I don't have anything "flipped around". Lately Izzo is going after elite kids and striking out. Why? Because Cal is a better coach? NO. It's because UNC, Duke, KU, UK and formerly UConn all have multiple 1st round if not NBA stars that played for them. Izzo has Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph in '02 followed by a bunch of role players the last 11 years. Look at the recruiting classes for 2013 and 2014 - he's gone after some real big-time kids that are likely 1 and done players and come up empty handed.

And for the elites who want to stay longer than 1 year or care about school, he has to compete with Duke's academics as well as their multiple championship and elite NBA alumni. Do you think Jabari Parker or Cliff Alexander cares that Green developed so well under Izzo? I doubt it. Ulis probably should but apparently he cares more that Cal players have signed NBA contracts worth >10x what Izzo's kids have.

Last edited:
I don't have anything "flipped around". Lately Izzo is going after elite kids and striking out. Why? Because Cal is a better coach? NO. It's because UNC, Duke, KU, UK and formerly UConn all have multiple 1st round if not NBA stars that played for them. Izzo has Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph in '02 followed by a bunch of role players the last 11 years. Look at the recruiting classes for 2013 and 2014 - he's gone after some real big-time kids that are likely 1 and done players and come up empty handed.

And for the elites who want to stay longer than 1 year or care about school, he has to compete with Duke's academics as well as their multiple championship and elite NBA alumni. Do you think Jabari Parker or Cliff Alexander cares that Green developed so well under Izzo? I doubt it. Ulis probably should but apparently he cares more that Cal players have signed NBA contracts worth >10x what Izzo's kids have.

my point is that these kids really shouldn't care that much about the one and dones that have gone to a school but they do. John Wall would be a top pick if he went to CMU, that wouldn't make their coach a great coach.

my point is that these kids really shouldn't care that much about the one and dones that have gone to a school but they do. John Wall would be a top pick if he went to CMU, that wouldn't make their coach a great coach.

Agreed, but that's obvious. You could say it shouldn't matter until your blue in the face and i could agree all day, but it does matter. And you probably also agree that if John Wall went to CMU he would have zero chance at winning a championship and the likelihood that we would lose a "John Wall" to CMU is also zero or at least so close to zero that it doesn't matter. SMU has Larry Brown so Mudiay to sMU isn't that scenario. A very large percentage of the elite of the elite players got to one of a handful of schools. Being in their "top 5" is meaningless.

Back