Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Deadline 2/20

tomdalton22

I didn't realize that the NBA trade deadline is this week. CV should be moved to a team looking for cap relief this off season but I haven't seen any rumors about him. Suckey has some value due to his good play off the bench this year and his expiring contract but I don't think Joe D wants to trade him because his job may hinge on weather or not the Pistons make the playoffs. Josh Smith is the one player I would love to see traded but I doubt that happens either. Monroe is the player that most teams are interested in but I hear the Pistons asking price is very high (as it should be). My guess is nothing happens.

I didn't realize that the NBA trade deadline is this week. CV should be moved to a team looking for cap relief this off season but I haven't seen any rumors about him. Suckey has some value due to his good play off the bench this year and his expiring contract but I don't think Joe D wants to trade him because his job may hinge on weather or not the Pistons make the playoffs. Josh Smith is the one player I would love to see traded but I doubt that happens either. Monroe is the player that most teams are interested in but I hear the Pistons asking price is very high (as it should be). My guess is nothing happens.

Well i still think Monroe is better to deal even if you have to lower the price some, because Smith could be more efficient at PF, and his own trade value is lower.

Well i still think Monroe is better to deal even if you have to lower the price some, because Smith could be more efficient at PF, and his own trade value is lower.

But Monroe is the better player. They need a SF that can shoot from the outside. It doesn't matter....J Smoove isn't going anywhere :(

But Monroe is the better player. They need a SF that can shoot from the outside. It doesn't matter....J Smoove isn't going anywhere :(

I`m not so sure. As much as I don`t like Josh Smith right now he is the better player at PF for this team. Monroe will probably continue to get better but Smith is better defensively and more athletic.

Stuckey may be their best asset to move, If the can Package him with Jarebko to a contender for a 1st round pick and a young player with some promise that would be nice. Charlie V I would rather hold onto and have that money in the Offseason than use him to get someones bad contract.
Monroe though if you can move him for a young controlable 2 or 3 that can shoot i`d say you would have to do it.

Detroit needs a SF who can shoot and play defense. I just don't know if there are any teams out there who have one and need what we are willing to give them. All the GM's are either pushing for a win now or salivating over the draft and tanking. We don't have a draft pick to send in a trade, so we have nothing of value to give a tanking team aside from a guy like Villanueva to help them tank more effectively and get cap relief for the summer... that just isn't enough for even a tanking team to part with a good 3&D SF (since they are role players, not guys who significantly improve a bad teams win chances), particularly a young one that can grow with their rebuild. There are fewer teams in win now mode, and not many of them are willing to give up a valuable 3&D SF in order to get better at PF/C since the NBA is so perimeter oriented (and those 3&D role players are much bigger factors on a good teams ability to go from good to REALLY good). We would need to find a win now team that has a big need to upgrade at PF/C AND has more than one good 3&D SF. I haven't done any real research on this, but my guess is that there just aren't good matches for a trade.

Joe D is without question in win now mode, and unless Gores forces him to do it won't sacrifice the current team's success for future success (unless Gores promises him at least one more year). As much as I'd like to see them make a move this year, they might be in a better position to make a move in the offseason (via Monroe sign and trade or other move), getting the type of guys they need and/or a draft pick.

Detroit needs a SF who can shoot and play defense. I just don't know if there are any teams out there who have one and need what we are willing to give them. All the GM's are either pushing for a win now or salivating over the draft and tanking. We don't have a draft pick to send in a trade, so we have nothing of value to give a tanking team aside from a guy like Villanueva to help them tank more effectively and get cap relief for the summer... that just isn't enough for even a tanking team to part with a good 3&D SF (since they are role players, not guys who significantly improve a bad teams win chances), particularly a young one that can grow with their rebuild. There are fewer teams in win now mode, and not many of them are willing to give up a valuable 3&D SF in order to get better at PF/C since the NBA is so perimeter oriented (and those 3&D role players are much bigger factors on a good teams ability to go from good to REALLY good). We would need to find a win now team that has a big need to upgrade at PF/C AND has more than one good 3&D SF. I haven't done any real research on this, but my guess is that there just aren't good matches for a trade.

Joe D is without question in win now mode, and unless Gores forces him to do it won't sacrifice the current team's success for future success (unless Gores promises him at least one more year). As much as I'd like to see them make a move this year, they might be in a better position to make a move in the offseason (via Monroe sign and trade or other move), getting the type of guys they need and/or a draft pick.

No one is going to give the ideal shooting and defense SF for Monroe, we need to set our sights lower and settle for a pick with young potential thats maybe been overlooked, been in the wrong system or has not been given much playing time. I mentioned on another thread getting Len, Kidd-Gilchrist, and one of Phoenix's 1sts in a three way with Charlotte and Phoenix. MKG still has plenty of room to develop and improve, and doesn't jack up 3s like Smith would at SF. Defense is somewhat of an asset for him as well. It would potentially give us FOUR 20 year old top ten picks on the roster.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m7nyuts

No one is going to give the ideal shooting and defense SF for Monroe, we need to set our sights lower and settle for a pick with young potential thats maybe been overlooked, been in the wrong system or has not been given much playing time. I mentioned on another thread getting Len, Kidd-Gilchrist, and one of Phoenix's 1sts in a three way with Charlotte and Phoenix. MKG still has plenty of room to develop and improve, and doesn't jack up 3s like Smith would at SF. Defense is somewhat of an asset for him as well. It would potentially give us FOUR 20 year old top ten picks on the roster.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m7nyuts

No one is going to give us what we need right now, so we wait for a better opportunity through sign and trade in the offseason. MKG is intriguing, but the man can't shoot!!! That is the biggest problem on this team, our two's and three's either can't play defense (Dotome), can't shoot (Smith, Stuckey, Pope [at least not consistently yet]), or doesn't do either very well (Singler). We simply have to pray Pope finds his shot and find someone else who can shoot and play D next to him on the perimeter.

And seriously... Gordon again? Even if it is only for a half season, no thanks. As for Len, granted he's young, but the man is averaging about 2 fouls a game in 9 minutes!?! This trade would not make us better now, and the youth you bring in doesn't fit what the team needs more than anything else long term... guys that can shoot from the perimeter and play good D (in order to compliment either Drummond and Monroe or Drummond and Smith inside). If it isn't what we need to compliment our core going forward, and doesn't make us a better team right now, why make a move if we have a chance of getting a better deal in a sign and trade? Getting younger for the sake of getting younger doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

Last edited:
No one is going to give us what we need right now, so we wait for a better opportunity through sign and trade in the offseason. MKG is intriguing, but the man can't shoot!!! That is the biggest problem on this team, our two's and three's either can't play defense (Dotome), can't shoot (Smith, Stuckey, Pope [at least not consistently yet]), or doesn't do either very well (Singler). We simply have to pray Pope finds his shot and find someone else who can shoot and play D next to him on the perimeter.

And seriously... Gordon again? Even if it is only for a half season, no thanks. As for Len, granted he's young, but the man is averaging about 2 fouls a game in 9 minutes!?! This trade would not make us better now, and the youth you bring in doesn't fit what the team needs more than anything else long term... guys that can shoot from the perimeter and play good D (in order to compliment either Drummond and Monroe or Drummond and Smith inside). If it isn't what we need to compliment our core going forward, and doesn't make us a better team right now, why make a move if we have a chance of getting a better deal in a sign and trade? Getting younger for the sake of getting younger doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

We would also get a pick from Phoenix.

Remember what I said about giving these guys time to develop. Finding the perfect piece to the puzzle isn't always probable. If you're looking for the ideal SF in a sign and trade, let's hear who you have in mind.

We would also get a pick from Phoenix.

Remember what I said about giving these guys time to develop. Finding the perfect piece to the puzzle isn't always probable. If you're looking for the ideal SF in a sign and trade, let's hear who you have in mind.

The pick from Phoenix would be mid to late first round. I still think that the Pistons need a proven player if they trade Monroe and Stuckey.

The pick from Phoenix would be mid to late first round. I still think that the Pistons need a proven player if they trade Monroe and Stuckey.

Mid to late picks can still be valuable especially in a loaded draft where good players could fall.

No one should be able to keep his job by making the playoffs in the NBA (too many playoff teams). Especially in the east.

A Report that the Pistons and a couple other teams inquired on Loul Deng. The Cavs weren't interested in the offers made, though they're still looking for the right trade partner.

A Report that the Pistons and a couple other teams inquired on Loul Deng. The Cavs weren't interested in the offers made, though they're still looking for the right trade partner.

If we could sign Deng to a long-term contract (he's in the final year of his current contract), I would love to trade for him. He's a great defender as well as a decent offensive option. The only question I'd have is how much he has left in the tank. He'll be 29 this April.

A Shumpert/Felton to the Clippers for Collison/M. Barnes deal came close but died down, more news on that to come tomorrow reports say.

If we could sign Deng to a long-term contract (he's in the final year of his current contract), I would love to trade for him. He's a great defender as well as a decent offensive option. The only question I'd have is how much he has left in the tank. He'll be 29 this April.

29 isn't very old, his injury proneness makes him seem older than he really is.

Latest (and only) Pistons rumor seems to be that they are shopping Josh Smith but they want more than expiring contracts

Last edited:
Back