Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chapel Hill shooting

Michchamp

terrible, and absolutely despicable, from the initial reports. It sounds like the story is still developing; not too much about the 5 W's.

alleged shooter was an atheist (though he looks more like a redneck to me, or at least a redneck atheist).

Crazy and I'm not shocked that this isn't getting bigger media coverage. Atheist killing 3 christians...media fucking gold! 3 muslims...meh.

Redneck atheist, i agree with. He was probably one of those actual militant atheists who relate to the tea party and carry rifles around openly. Those people confuse me.

Crazy and I'm not shocked that this isn't getting bigger media coverage. Atheist killing 3 christians...media fucking gold! 3 muslims...meh.

Redneck atheist, i agree with. He was probably one of those actual militant atheists who relate to the tea party and carry rifles around openly. Those people confuse me.

Wow. You found it. You found a way to bitch about Christians in a story that had no Christians in it. I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

it doesn't fit into any pre-approved narratives, so they're scrambling to come up with one.

On a related note, there's been quite a bit of ink spilled over the issue of some prominent atheists seeming to be anti-Islamic, more so than anti-religious. Sam Harris, mostly, although Richard Dawkins has tweeted a few things that make me cringe. I dislike Sam Harris immensely, based on what I've read about him, and some of his responses.

given that anti-Islamic narratives are already ingrained in US and European media & mainstream thought, these guys have a duty to clarify and ensure their speech doesn't get bundled into the same propaganda allowing Western governments to portray Muslims as "the other" and justify bombing campaigns. Even if you want to make the point that you can't preach Christianity in Riyadh, but you can preach Islam in Atlanta, that's not an Islamic thing as much as it is a constitutional thing. There are much more moderate Islamic nations and communities... but they tend to get ignored.

Wow. You found it. You found a way to bitch about Christians in a story that had no Christians in it. I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

Not about christians - the media. This is a triple murder with a huge HATE CRIME tag on it. What happened when a black teenager was killed after fighting a cop? Non stop coverage for months. Liberal media, conservative media both for different reasons. Sorry, but this pisses me off. It's a bigger story than michael brown should have bee, but i've seen nothing about it on tv.

wow, you found... something to make yourself feel superior to atheists in this thread. Now, go on your way, Mr. Superior Moderate Guy Who is Above all Arguments.

wow, you found... something to make yourself feel superior to atheists in this thread. Now, go on your way, Mr. Superior Moderate Guy Who is Above all Arguments.

Come on now. I don't single out atheists. I feel superior to everybody.

Come on now. I don't single out atheists. I feel superior to everybody.

it's easy to feel superior to "everybody"... most people are pretty stupid. atheists are exceptional though.

it doesn't fit into any pre-approved narratives, so they're scrambling to come up with one.

On a related note, there's been quite a bit of ink spilled over the issue of some prominent atheists seeming to be anti-Islamic, more so than anti-religious. Sam Harris, mostly, although Richard Dawkins has tweeted a few things that make me cringe. I dislike Sam Harris immensely, based on what I've read about him, and some of his responses.

given that anti-Islamic narratives are already ingrained in US and European media & mainstream thought, these guys have a duty to clarify and ensure their speech doesn't get bundled into the same propaganda allowing Western governments to portray Muslims as "the other" and justify bombing campaigns. Even if you want to make the point that you can't preach Christianity in Riyadh, but you can preach Islam in Atlanta, that's not an Islamic thing as much as it is a constitutional thing. There are much more moderate Islamic nations and communities... but they tend to get ignored.

agreed. Sam harris lost me a while back.

Not about christians - the media. This is a triple murder with a huge HATE CRIME tag on it. What happened when a black teenager was killed after ALLEGEDLY fighting a cop? Non stop coverage for months. Liberal media, conservative media both for different reasons. Sorry, but this pisses me off. It's a bigger story than michael brown should have bee [sic], but i've seen nothing about it on tv.

made some additions in red.

well this just happened. give it time. the editorials are still being written.

and black teenagers have been shot by cops for a variety of reasons, or no reasons at all since then, with not much coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, when I go to google news, it's the top thing and it's being covered by all the big organizations.

Edit:byco got there 1st.

669 articles.

Last edited:
The cynical part of me is saying that the "parking dispute" is a red herring so that they dont have to report a white guy killed the muslims cuz they were muslim. I think I might be super jaded.

made some additions in red.

well this just happened. give it time. the editorials are still being written.

and black teenagers have been shot by cops for a variety of reasons, or no reasons at all since then, with not much coverage.

Everybody moved after Bradly Cooper got nominated for two Academy Awards for American Sniper.

Back