Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Classic coming to Detroit next year

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]What about Ford Field?

Its called the winter classic because they play it outdoors. Unless Ford Field adds a retractable roof I don't see that as a possibility.

It'd be pretty damn cool at CoPa. I could see them doing it at the Big House and trying to set an attendance record though.

They could do it like the olden times and play on the frozen Detroit River.

MI_Thumb said:
They could do it like the olden times and play on the frozen Detroit River.

Right under the Ambassador Bridge - or right by where the Dennis Hopper character was killed in True Romance.

That would totally be awesome!!!

Maybe they could play on the ice in the Roosevelt Warehouse where that bum was frozen a couple years ago.

It will most likely be at Comerica. Illitch won't allow it to be played outside of Detroit, being such a big proponent of downtown's revival.

all but finalized

I can sorta see the huge crowd thing, but I dunno, having the game in Detroit at CoPa just seems to make more sense to me.

Anyway, we'll see when it's a done deal.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]all but finalized

I can sorta see the huge crowd thing, but I dunno, having the game in Detroit at CoPa just seems to make more sense to me.

I agree. I thought the city did a fantastic job with the Super Bowl a few years ago, and could do some cool things with the week of hockey.

JimRice said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]all but finalized

I agree. I thought the city did a fantastic job with the Super Bowl a few years ago, and could do some cool things with the week of hockey.

Well, plunk me with a hard wood spoon, I've got it!!!

The game isn't about how many people go see it in person -- it's about how many watch it around the world on New Years Day, right???

So....why not have the game...

...in the vacant lot on my sig pic!!!

Right there where Briggs/Tiger Stadium used to be, where Al Kaline and Bobby Lane - contemporaries of Gordie Howe - played?

Bring in some moveable seats 15,000, 20,000, however many - and maybe some lights - and show old Detroit in background on television!!!

How tough, old school and romantic would that be???

Between the main game at the Big House and all the college and junior games at Comerica, this is going to be the most attended hockey event ever. I really hope there's not another nasty CBA...it has taken this long to recover from the last strike. =(

Do you think this has any impact on Lidstrom's upcoming decision? I wonder if this might draw him back for at least one more. Gotta hope, right?

Back