Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pick a dog for MC.

redandguilty

Pet finder is pretty great for finding dogs, which are great for lowering blood pressure.

I like this one.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22230639
IL626.22230639-1-x.jpg
IL626.22230639-3-x.jpg

I used to have a miniature schnauzer.

I'd get another one, or maybe a standard schnauzer.

smart breed, tough, loyal, doesn't shed, knows how to tell you what it wants...

MichChamp02 said:
I used to have a miniature schnauzer.

I'd get another one, or maybe a standard schnauzer.

smart breed, tough, loyal, doesn't shed, knows how to tell you what it wants...

No giant schnauzer? I don't know if it holds for schnauzers, but I always think bigger = calmer, so I prefer the bigger dogs.

My neighbors have a couple little, grey schnauzers. We see them when we're walking our own dog and therefore can't actually talk to our neighbors because the dogs won't stop barking.

don't you let them sniff eachother? usually they calm down once they get to know the other dog.

our schnauzer used to bark a lot, but only if he was inside. it was the guard dog mentality. he didn't bark (as much) when he was outside.

I would get a giant schnauzer... if I had a house and a big yard. Feel like having a dog that big in the city is wrong.

I think Dobermans are good dogs. a couple people in my neighborhood have those.

I like greyhounds too. I always figured they need space to run & more exercise, but I know a guy who has one and he said, that's not true.

The schauzers in my neighborhood bark at everything that moves that isn't their owners. They've had years of opportunities to sniff eachother. They quiet down for the sniffing and then go right back to barking.

I knew someone with a greyhound and very little yard. The dog was always skittish around loud noises and new people, probably because he was a rescued race dog, but he never seemed like he had pent up energy to burn. He was a very calm dog.

Red and Guilty said:
The schauzers in my neighborhood bark at everything that moves that isn't their owners. They've had years of opportunities to sniff eachother. They quiet down for the sniffing and then go right back to barking.

I knew someone with a greyhound and very little yard. The dog was always skittish around loud noises and new people, probably because he was a rescued race dog, but he never seemed like he had pent up energy to burn. He was a very calm dog.

huh. my dog would usually shut up when he was told to. maybe those are just particularly dumb schnauzers. my friend and his wife have two, and they're yappy. Some people don't discipline their dogs at all. makes you wonder how bratty their kids will be someday.

but as far as greyhounds goes, wikipedia confirms that. they're supposedly a very gentle breed & don't do well with loud noises and yelling.

my only other hangup with a greyhound is that I liked to play rough with my dog and wrestle sometimes. greyhounds look like they'd break in half.

Pitbulls are fun to play with like that. Hardly have to worry about getting to rough and hurting it.

Seem like really energetic though

my father-in-law has always had whippets and italian greyhounds ... both good personality breeds, but they're always nervous and jumpy and freaking out a bit.

TheVictors03 said:
my father-in-law has always had whippets and italian greyhounds ... both good personality breeds, but they're always nervous and jumpy and freaking out a bit.
We have a mutt that we think is part whippet becaause of his build. He is pretty skittish to the point that he tweaks himself out when he passes gas. It's funny and annoying at the same time...

I've had a few dogs in my day...currently have a Karelian Bear Dog which is by far probably the best dog I've ever owned, maybe tied with my last one which was an Aussie Sheppard mix (maybe dingo? I'm serious too). After this Karelian I don't know if I'd get another breed, eh, I probably would since I get 'em from rescues, but moral of the story Karelian's two thumbs up. Neat story behind the breed too...

elrod said:
I've had a few dogs in my day...currently have a Karelian Bear Dog which is by far probably the best dog I've ever owned, maybe tied with my last one which was an Aussie Sheppard mix (maybe dingo? I'm serious too). After this Karelian I don't know if I'd get another breed, eh, I probably would since I get 'em from rescues, but moral of the story Karelian's two thumbs up. Neat story behind the breed too...

whoa. just googled it. looks like that breed sheds a lot.

not going to fly w/this neat freak.

MichChamp02 said:
elrod said:

whoa. just googled it. looks like that breed sheds a lot.

not going to fly w/this neat freak.

Shedding's not terrible, but it is a long hair so there definitely is some shedding...and it's black so it's easy to see. If you're a super neat freak...yeah probably not the best choice for you.

Something tells me MC is perfectly capable of picking out dogs himself. I'm sure he's had plenty of practice.

Back