Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bands you hated as you got older

Michchamp

Were there any bands that you loved when you first heard them, thought they were amazing / groundbreaking / brilliant then as you got older, said to yourself, "Wait a minute. This is complete SHIT!"

I have a couple like that.

The White Stripes are the main one that comes to mind. I can't even really listen to them anymore. Then Metallica. Then Korn.

I won't go so far as to call Led Zeppelin "complete shit," but I liked them a lot less after I started listening to original blues musicians, and realized much of Zeppelin's stuff was just blues played back at a faster tempo and with more distortion, or English folk songs re-worked as rock... WITHOUT credit to the original musicians (hence the myriad of lawsuits against them). I was a HUGE Zeppelin fan was I was 15-17.

I know they weren't the only classic rock act that ripped off black musicians, but they were maybe the worst.

Oh I think Bam Bam and Pebbles put together a band when they became teenagers.

It was a rock band.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Oh I think Bam Bam and Pebbles put together a band when they became teenagers.

It was a rock band.

implied-facepalm.jpg

The Partridge family, lol. I thought they were bad when I was a kid. As far as the OP goes, for me NO. Now there are groups who I liked and still like but some of the newer stuff I don't. Like Aerosmith, their 80's and 90's stuff blew.

I don't get the point of this.

I either like a song/band because of the music or I don't. I don't decide 10 years later that they ripped someone off, or were uncool.

Songs I though sucked before I still think suck, and I love to hear some of my first favorite songs by bands like Foreigner, Kiss, Bob Seger and Steve Miller.

And Zeppelin was more than just ripped off songs, if you knew much about them you would know that. BTW John Bonham was probably the single greatest drummer of all time, and Page was the cat's ass too.

MI_Thumb said:
I don't get the point of this.

I either like a song/band because of the music or I don't. I don't decide 10 years later that they ripped someone off, or were uncool.

Songs I though sucked before I still think suck, and I love to hear some of my first favorite songs by bands like Foreigner, Kiss, Bob Seger and Steve Miller.

And Zeppelin was more than just ripped off songs, if you knew much about them you would know that. BTW John Bonham was probably the single greatest drummer of all time, and Page was the cat's ass too.

I know. I think Zeppelin were great musicians, and some of their songs still rock. I just didn't like them as much after I got to know more about them.

You make a good point about the fact that the music sounds the same whether or not the people making it are dicks, but I just sometimes re-evaluate it subconsciously after I learn more about the people who make it.

Wondered if anyone else did.

Once I learned that the actor who played Greg Brady was fucking his mom on the show (Florence Henderson) I lost total respect for that stupid singing group the Brady kids had put together.

Today it would have actually made me respect them more, but that was back when I was young and idealistic and truly believed that I could make this world a better place.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Once I learned that the actor who played Greg Brady was fucking his mom on the show (Florence Henderson) I lost total respect for that stupid singing group the Brady kids had put together.

Today it would have actually made me respect them more, but that was back when I was young and idealistic and truly believed that I could make this world a better place.

So you didn't actually hate them as you got older?

That is contrary to the topic at hand.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Once I learned that the actor who played Greg Brady was fucking his mom on the show (Florence Henderson) I lost total respect for that stupid singing group the Brady kids had put together.

I thought that whole "fucking his tv Mom" was bullshit? Didn't he just have a crush? Who knows, though......lol.

I'm not sure. I saw a show where he claimed he beat off to thoughts of her, but he seemed to be joking.

And the dad on the show was gay in real life.

I used to watch it as a kid, but I never thought the mom was hot.

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:

So you didn't actually hate them as you got older?

That is contrary to the topic at hand.

You're right, my bad, this topic deserves it's own thread.

Or maybe even it's own board.

I will alert Monster.

Tony Balls: They was fuckin,' they have both acknowledged it in the press.

There was no crime, they was both over 18 (she was more older than 18 than he was) but they was fuckin' nevertheless.

Unless they're both lying.

Wanna know what's funny?

The Brady house is about a 10 minute walk from where I lived for years (Mich Lady lived in that neighborhood too).

Over the years, I would go to the house and go up to the door, with the intention of pretending to sell something, or pretending to be some kind of religious proslytizer, or something, just so I could have a look inside the house and up at the balcony.

But nobody ever answered the door - not even one time.

Oh, ok.

I'd fuck Carol Brady btw....she was pretty hot..lol.

That's cool that you lived by the house. Did someone actually live in it at one point? And you're from California?

MichChamp02 said:
I'm not sure. I saw a show where he claimed he beat off to thoughts of her, but he seemed to be joking.

And the dad on the show was gay in real life.

I used to watch it as a kid, but I never thought the mom was hot.

Yep, he took it in the ass like it was his job. Heard stories (from tv of course) that he hated the kissing scenes with his tv wife. Now that you re-watch those episodes and see him kissing her, you can see the pain...lol.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...............

No I'm not from California, I'm from Ann Arbor. I live in California now; I've lived here for a long time now.

But I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, and I'm a Michigan alum too.

Although I was a teen in the early 70s,I liked a lot of the indie/grunge/GenX music that was released from 89-95. But when I went to see many of the groups and bands perform live in concert, I came away sometimes a bit disappointed, in fact the last year that Soundgarden was still together in '97, and touring, my wife and I went to go see them, and it was a pretty dull and uninspired performance. Chris Cornell, their lead singer even noticed the lack of interest from the audience and he suggested that we should all take a 15-20 minute nap, while the band went off-stage for intermission...lol.

We also went to see Pearl Jam, and we left due to sheer boredom ~an hour or so before the concert ended, never ever did that before...haha!!

Probably the only band that I liked most of their music, then later completely hated it, was Jethro Tull. Dishonorable mention would be Yes. Went to see Rick Wakeman perform solo when he toured in support of his first album, titled "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" it still is the only "rock" concert that I have ever attended where the audience didn't know what to do, but politely clap on cue, while seated. Good thing that I was completely "fried" on drugs during most of it.

cool.png

Edit: Forgot about Ted Nugent, but it is more that I despise his politics, while coming out of the right-wing closet, long after his musical popularity had waned, than the music that he and his band had made. Now I will refuse to listen to any of it, if it is being my choice.

My wife and I looked a lot younger than we were in the 90s, so we fit in with most of the much younger people who would normally attend concerts like Korn, NIN, and RATM...perhaps more than a decade less than we actually were. Not so true anymore, as we have been very devastated, post-20th century, by things beyond our control health-wise and financially. But I can't really complain, when I know that there are so many millions who are far worse off than we are now.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]The Partridge family, lol. I thought they were bad when I was a kid. As far as the OP goes, for me NO. Now there are groups who I liked and still like but some of the newer stuff I don't. Like Aerosmith, their 80's and 90's stuff blew.

I remember when that came out about the dad on the partridge family.

never liked aerosmith either, always thought they were trying to rip off the Stones.
many groups ripped off the blues men and others like the Stones and Clapton went out of their way to get Muddy, and the other Blues Legends acknowledgement and kudos.

Turok said:
Although I was a teen in the early 70s,I liked a lot of the indie/grunge/GenX music that was released from 89-95. But when I went to see many of the groups and bands perform live in concert, I came away sometimes a bit disappointed, in fact the last year that Soundgarden was still together in '97, and touring, my wife and I went to go see them, and it was a pretty dull and uninspired performance. Chris Cornell, their lead singer even noticed the lack of interest from the audience and he suggested that we should all take a 15-20 minute nap, while the band went off-stage for intermission...lol.

We also went to see Pearl Jam, and we left due to sheer boredom ~an hour or so before the concert ended, never ever did that before...haha!!

Probably the only band that I liked most of their music, then later completely hated it, was Jethro Tull. Dishonorable mention would be Yes. Went to see Rick Wakeman perform solo when he toured in support of his first album, titled "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" it still is the only "rock" concert that I have ever attended where the audience didn't know what to do, but politely clap on cue, while seated. Good thing that I was completely "fried" on drugs during most of it.

cool.png

Edit: Forgot about Ted Nugent, but it is more that I despise his politics, while coming out of the right-wing closet, long after his musical popularity had waned, than the music that he and his band had made. Now I will refuse to listen to any of it, if it is being my choice.

My wife and I looked a lot younger than we were in the 90s, so we fit in with most of the much younger people who would normally attend concerts like Korn, NIN, and RATM...perhaps more than a decade less than we actually were. Not so true anymore, as we have been very devastated, post-20th century, by things beyond our control health-wise and financially. But I can't really complain, when I know that there are so many millions who are far worse off than we are now.

How could you not like Yes?

Now that we're on to good music, Boston. They were awesome. And Bad Company. Now I'm in the mood to jam.

Btw, fun fact of the day: Schwartz, the Producer for the part Mike Brady first wanted Gene Hackman. Can you believe that? Apparently he wasn't known enough at the time. Good thing, probably would have ruined his career.

[flash=350,287:it0smoqa]http://www.youtube.com/v/950yB3S43ls&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:it0smoqa]
</td><td valign="top">
<html><head><title>Banner</title><style>html, body {margin:0;padding:0;}</style></head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");
var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);
if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)
{
if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)
document.write('+']');
else
document.write('+']');
}
else