Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

About 8/11

jimrice

Most people were complaining that Leyland's line up was terrible. Inserting Magglio into the two spot, Inge being back and Boesch being out.

After lighting up Cleveland for 10, what is the overall opinion?

Line up was still terrible?

They got lucky?

Leyland made the right move?

not a fan of maggs being in the lineup in any way shape or form but imo resting boesch off and on is a good idea.

I think bringing Inge back makes sense...and dropping dirks back to toledo makes total sense...with delmon on board and raburn hitting well.

There is a human element to anything we do...my guess is brandon coming back might have given the guys a lift.

about this time last year the popular tide was anti-boesch and avila.....now look at who two of the more key guys are...had leyland just given up on them last year we likely wouldn't be sitting here talking about playoffs.

I don't always agree with everything leyland does but at the end of the day this team is in first

People that like to bash JL do one of three things after a game.
Win- they won because of the players
Win- they won despite JL
Loss- they lost because of JL

JimRice said:
Most people were complaining that Leyland's line up was terrible. Inserting Magglio into the two spot, Inge being back and Boesch being out.

After lighting up Cleveland for 10, what is the overall opinion?

Line up was still terrible?

They got lucky?

Leyland made the right move?

It was great to beat the indians by a large margin in a big game, the lineup wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either. Going with that platoon helped, yeah they were a bit lucky with some bloop singles that dropped in. also part of it might be with the pitcher they faced, and then finally scoring off the indians bullpen who had shut them down the previous 20 plus innings. Leyland did ok, and was glad he is going with the better defense in late innings.
What would make me feel better is to have this kind of game on the road and more importantly in cleveland. Tigers are much better this year on the road at about .500 so far where as last year the end result was 29 and 52.

Give me a break. JL is brain dead when it comes to putting a lineup together. I'll take Betemit over Inge all day any day and anyone over Maggs. Even Mario Mendoza had a good game now and and again.

You guy do remember Inge was. 177 playing most of the first half. And BB resting was not a good idea, he's better against LHP. JL is too stupid to put him back in the 3 hole.

" I think bringing Inge back makes sense" -- I'm sorry but lol.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]You guy do remember Inge was. 177 playing most of the first half. And BB resting was not a good idea, he's better against LHP. JL is too stupid to put him back in the 3 hole.
You do know that BB is hitting .214 with 1 HR and 3 RBI in August....don't you? Yesterday with a LH starter is the perfect time to give him a rest.

Betemit has never been an every day player...with that said he's surely better than Inge...but imo it was worth a shot to put in brandon and see what happened.

Boesch has been better against lefties from an AVG standpoint but has shown very little power....prob what leyland is looking at in that regard.

He hits well against LHP if you didn't catch that tidbit and also the reason leyland is dumb as a door. He's smoking in the 3 hole yet He rather put maggs there and now young.

How many teams would have a third baseman bat. 177, send him down after trading for a new 3B, and give him another shot?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]He hits well against LHP if you didn't catch that tidbit and also the reason leyland is dumb as a door. He's smoking in the 3 hole yet He rather put maggs there and now young.
Probably because he is getting a lot of fast balls hitting in front of Miggy. Maybe JL is trying to get DY some of those fast balls to see if he can get going? BB does hit LH better but he has been horrible in August....and Maggs did have a great game with BB on the bench. You do remember that this is a team and it is better when everybody can contribute....don't you?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How many teams would have a third baseman bat. 177, send him down after trading for a new 3B, and give him another shot?

Betemit is a FA after this season whereas Brandon is not.

Is Inge's contract terrible? Absolutely. But does it make more sense to see if he can come even remotely close to playing to that contract? Absolutely.

Now Betemit has done well in his brief time with detroit but his K rate has been appalling...his BABIP is 2010 Jacksonesque with detroit.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]He hits well against LHP if you didn't catch that tidbit and also the reason leyland is dumb as a door. He's smoking in the 3 hole yet He rather put maggs there and now young.
Probably because he is getting a lot of fast balls hitting in front of Miggy. Maybe JL is trying to get DY some of those fast balls to see if he can get going? BB does hit LH better but he has been horrible in August....and Maggs did have a great game with BB on the bench. You do remember that this is a team and it is better when everybody can contribute....don't you?

What about Maggs before that. IMO, BB benefits more in the 3 hole then those other options. Because of Miggy, of course so why move him? And a team yes, but B. Inge, no. He had his chances.

The lineup was still horrible, but I'll give Leyland some credit. He knows his locker room, he knows his players, and he knows Brandon Inge. Inge was inserted into the lineup to provide a spark for the team and he did just that as the Tigers looked energized and they looked like they had some fun out there. MAggs batting 2nd is crazy, but I agree that Boesch needed a rest. I think Santiago has earned the right to play every day at 2nd right now.

jimmygank said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How many teams would have a third baseman bat. 177, send him down after trading for a new 3B, and give him another shot?

Betemit is a FA after this season whereas Brandon is not.

Is Inge's contract terrible? Absolutely. But does it make more sense to see if he can come even remotely close to playing to that contract? Absolutely.

Now Betemit has done well in his brief time with detroit but his K rate has been appalling...his BABIP is 2010 Jacksonesque with detroit.

So if Inge hits. 280 for the rest of our season you want him as a starter next season? WB has been hitting well and for the season, hell RISP BA was .330. Fa or not he's our better hitter. Why trade for him so he pkays 1 in 3 games.

johnny2x2x said:
The lineup was still horrible, but I'll give Leyland some credit. He knows his locker room, he knows his players, and he knows Brandon Inge. Inge was inserted into the lineup to provide a spark for the team and he did just that as the Tigers looked energized and they looked like they had some fun out there. MAggs batting 2nd is crazy, but I agree that Boesch needed a rest. I think Santiago has earned the right to play every day at 2nd right now.

So Inge gave them a spark, lol.

Back