Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

About 8/11

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
jimmygank said:
Betemit is a FA after this season whereas Brandon is not.

Is Inge's contract terrible? Absolutely. But does it make more sense to see if he can come even remotely close to playing to that contract? Absolutely.

Now Betemit has done well in his brief time with detroit but his K rate has been appalling...his BABIP is 2010 Jacksonesque with detroit.

So if Inge hits. 280 for the rest of our season you want him as a starter next season? WB has been hitting well and for the season, hell RISP BA was .330. Fa or not he's our better hitter. Why trade for him so he pkays 1 in 3 games.

depends what the tigers can do on the trade or FA market I guess. I'd like to see which of Wilson and Brandon do better down the stretch. Betemit is more likely to get more playing time than Inge(and rightfully so) but Inge will likely spell him in the field as well....which is why I felt like bringing brandon back made more sense than having an OF of Jackson,Boesch,Young,Ordonez, and Dirks with Raburn and kelly both capable of playing OF.

in no way is it necessary to go 7 deep in the OF.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:
Probably because he is getting a lot of fast balls hitting in front of Miggy. Maybe JL is trying to get DY some of those fast balls to see if he can get going? BB does hit LH better but he has been horrible in August....and Maggs did have a great game with BB on the bench. You do remember that this is a team and it is better when everybody can contribute....don't you?

What about Maggs before that. IMO, BB benefits more in the 3 hole then those other options. Because of Miggy, of course so why move him? And a team yes, but B. Inge, no. He had his chances.
This is exactly why we as fans shouldn't second guess what JL does as much as we do. He knows the players, he knows what is going on in the clubhouse....we have NO IDEA. My guess is that Maggs ego was hurt so when he was given a chance last night he was focused and that move really worked. Inge was raking with the Hens.....JL made the right move there too....puting him in the lineup right away in an advantageous situation (vs a lefty). Both of those moves worked to perfection. I am sure it was a significant boost to the clubhouse moral as well. Guys like Inge and Maggs have been around a long time. I am sure they are very well liked in the clubhouse. A game like that for those two could go a long way for the entire team's moral. A manager's in game moves and lineups are only a small fraction of what a manager does for the team. I think last night was a perfect example of that.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

What about Maggs before that. IMO, BB benefits more in the 3 hole then those other options. Because of Miggy, of course so why move him? And a team yes, but B. Inge, no. He had his chances.
This is exactly why we as fans shouldn't second guess what JL does as much as we do. He knows the players, he knows what is going on in the clubhouse....we have NO IDEA. My guess is that Maggs ego was hurt so when he was given a chance last night he was focused and that move really worked. Inge was raking with the Hens.....JL made the right move there too....puting him in the lineup right away in an advantageous situation (vs a lefty). Both of those moves worked to perfection. I am sure it was a significant boost to the clubhouse moral as well. Guys like Inge and Maggs have been around a long time. I am sure they are very well liked in the clubhouse. A game like that for those two could go a long way for the entire team's moral. A manager's in game moves and lineups are only a small fraction of what a manager does for the team. I think last night was a perfect example of that.

Maggs ego was hurt, that's what you got? And Inge, what about the .177, did that go a long way to help moral? He got lucky. I thought Inge back up in Sept as a defensive replacement was the idea. I hope he's not in tonight, tomorrow or the rest of the week.

well put tom...I can only assume the sole reason maggs is still on the team is for that very reason (especially on one with so many latino players)....dirks isn't such a plus that losing him is the difference between winning and losing whereas losing maggs presence could be.

I just hope to see very little of maggs in the lineup down the stretch...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:

Maggs ego was hurt, that's what you got? And Inge, what about the .177, did that go a long way to help moral? He got lucky. I thought Inge back up in Sept as a defensive replacement was the idea. I hope he's not in tonight, tomorrow or the rest of the week.
Like I said....we don't know. As far as Inge and his .177, if he goes down and rakes you don't give him a chance when he comes back up. That is why you are posting on an internet board and not a manager. I have no idea either....but I guarantee that JL knows more that either of us despite what most say on this board.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]So you agree on everything Leyland does?
Of course I don't agree with everything JL does. Sometimes I would prefer to have a slightly different batting order. However, most of the time the batting order doesn't matter. As far as second guessing game decisions I am realistic because I don't know what would have happened if another decision was made.

Then how you you say Leyland knows more and we know nothing if you argue the same things. Just because he's a manager doesn't mean he knows a thing about what the best lineups are.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Then how you you say Leyland knows more and we know nothing if you argue the same things. Just because he's a manager doesn't mean he knows a thing about what the best lineups are.
Him knowing his players and his clubhouse gives him a huge edge over us.

So when he kept Inge throughout the first half with his .145 with RISP was because he knew playing him was a good idea. We have different opinions I just don't care much for him as a MANAGER. Never was really against him until earlier in the year. I just rather have someone else.

Would like to see the tigers go for gibby in 2013. He has a two year deal that ends after next season.

until then I guess it's only fair to have jim see this through...I do feel like they could've waited another month before re-upping him (because imo if the tigers miss the playoffs jim prob shouldn't be back)

until then I guess it's only fair to have jim see this through...I do feel like they could've waited another month before re-upping him (because imo if the tigers miss the playoffs jim prob shouldn't be back)[/quote]

I don't think re-upping him for 1 year is a big deal. He can still be fired at anytime. Besides what if the Tigers finish the season with 88 wins. In one scenario they miss the playoffs by 1 game and in the other they make the playoffs by one game...either way they finished with the same amount of wins.

I don't complain about the line ups because it is just so pointless and it's beating a dead horse. He is not going to change what he is doing and he has made that clear all year. He even said before the season started that if you are on the roster he will play you. And he likes to keep things consistent for guys so for the most part he keeps guys in the same batting order regardless of how they are doing. That's his philosophy and he's sticking to his guns.

And we all know that Illitch, DD and JL are all extremely loyal, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that Mudhen, Maggs and Inge play way more than they should. That's how this organization rolls. I don't always like it either but I cannot have the same batting order conversation every single game...I just can't do it.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]So when he kept Inge throughout the first half with his .145 with RISP was because he knew playing him was a good idea. We have different opinions I just don't care much for him as a MANAGER. Never was really against him until earlier in the year. I just rather have someone else.
There might be 10 active managers that are better than JL...maybe.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]So when he kept Inge throughout the first half with his .145 with RISP was because he knew playing him was a good idea. We have different opinions I just don't care much for him as a MANAGER. Never was really against him until earlier in the year. I just rather have someone else.
There might be 10 active managers that are better than JL...maybe.

Then lets get one :)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How many teams would have a third baseman bat. 177, send him down after trading for a new 3B, and give him another shot?

No Inge fan here but the guy seems to have found his stroke in Toledo and he is still our best 3B defensively, so I think it does make sense to give him another shot. Betemit is not good defensively and it's not like he's been playing 3B full time since the trade. Dirks will be back with September call-ups. Obviously, with the Young trade, they weren't planning on playing him much during the post season, should they get there, so it does make sense to send him down.

1. I don't understand the thread title.

2. The lineup was bad, and over the course of a season would prove itself to be bad.

I am glad they won and I am glad Inge and Magglio did well last night..I am not really sure but one thing is clear.

Inge should have been benched months before they shipped him out.
Raburn played 90 games to long before being sent to the bench. he should never see the infield.
Magglio played 40 games to long and was batting 3rd. He cannot run or field.
Boesch when he plays hits better in the three hole.
We all have questions on the bullpen and its function in Jim's mind..
His line-ups with two guys batting one and two with a OBP of less then .315 are suspect.
He refuses to move JP and AA up in the order when it would really help this team.

mjsb2 said:
1. I don't understand the thread title.

2. The lineup was bad, and over the course of a season would prove itself to be bad.

Yeah, messed up the date.

No one was advocating that this be a permanent lineup. A lot of people were complaining about Inge being in, citing that his 2 for 5 against this pitcher was too small a sample size. Inge did well, yet few people will admit that possibly Leyland made the correct move to get him in there.

Magglio hadn't been in there for some time. He got in for Boesch, will also caused some problems for the Leyland haters. Magglio had a decent game.

So wouldn't it make sense that the posters that complain about Leyland EVERYDAY should eat a bit of crow? I'm not a huge fan of Jimbo, either, but there are at least 10 regs on here that complain about Leyland everyday, about everything. Leyland had a good day, made some moves that worked, was my only point.

I'm fine with batting Inge against lefties.

He hit them pretty good in 09 and 10, yeah he didn't do well this year, but he was doing good in Toledo, and they called him back up to platoon against lefties.

jimmygank said:
and dropping dirks back to toledo makes total sense...with delmon on board and raburn hitting well.
it makes zero sense, actually. dirks was our only viable LH bat off the bench (dont say kelly, his bat is only for show) and the only viable backup for jackson in CF. sure you can throw kelly, inge or raburn out there...but it wont be pretty. especially with boesch and young (and maggs and raburn occasionally) in left and right.

Back