Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

BTN Football Preview

bphillips4gg

Just watching this now, and I've gotta say, "Now I'm
REALLY fuckin excited!"

God, I can't freakin wait for the season to start. I think I'm going to get back to kissing the wife's ass to get her to agree to a trip for the ND game.

Anyone else catch this show?

I was kind of disappointed in it. A lot of stuff I guess we'd all heard before. I do like though that they interviewed Hoke and both coordinators.

Analysts did give reason for hope on defense, just from running a better scheme for the talent there.

And who the hell is Chris Eddings?!

They showed the same plays over and over but I guess it's good not showing opponents a lot of tape.

Scares me a little to hear Brady say the D needs A LOT of work.

MichiganMicros313 said:
They showed the same plays over and over but I guess it's good not showing opponents a lot of tape.

That is a little scary. We all know it needs a lot of work but the talent is there. They just need the right coaching.

I kind of expect Brady to say the D needs a lot of work. I mean after all we knew that. And I am not sure Brady would be happy unless the defense was #1 in the country and killing everybody. He is a defensive guy and has high expectations.

wheels002 said:
I kind of expect Brady to say the D needs a lot of work. I mean after all we knew that. And I am not sure Brady would be happy unless the defense was #1 in the country and killing everybody. He is a defensive guy and has high expectations.

Pretty much what I was thinking. He will always say they need a lot of work, problem is, right now it's really true. Whether you want to come at it from a "the talent is there, the previous coaches let them down" or "recruiting will bring in better talent" or a combination of the two, the statement is very applicable right now.

A few years down the road he'll continue to say it to motivate the players, but it won't be as true as it is now.

Yeah to me the previous coaching staff was clueless and it has really hampered their development but Hoke will never say that. But when we start winning you can bet that RR will bve in front of the cameras saying see I told you we were close.

Seeing shows like that do two things ......

1) Get me FIRED UP for the season which is only .....12 DAYS AWAY!!!!

and

2) Make me realize how incredibly close I (we) follow the team.

It's funny -- I will have buddies forward me articles, blogs or roster updates and I have to pretend I hadn't read them yet (in some cases now, to avoid coming across as a loser/bragger).

wheels002 said:
Yeah to me the previous coaching staff was clueless and it has really hampered their development but Hoke will never say that. But when we start winning you can bet that RR will bve in front of the cameras saying see I told you we were close.

You ever date a girl that all she could ever talk about was her ex-boyfriend? Man! That shit's irritating.

bigvic said:

and

It's funny -- I will have buddies forward me articles, blogs or roster updates and I have to pretend I hadn't read them yet (in some cases now, to avoid coming across as a loser/bragger).

You're too nice to your friends. I just say something like, "Welcome to last week" if that happens. Of course, most of the time I'm sending them stuff, so they don't even bother to send me stuff.

My friends know I'm fucking with them and can take it.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty lame this year - nothing new was given. The past couple of years it's been an hour long and they actually showed a good majority of 1 practice. They would talk behind the video of the practice going on - interviews and all. It's like they basically took that all out and just did the interviews and got like 15 minutes of practice on film and just kept re-using the same clips. In the long run it really doesn't matter because football starts in less than two weeks - but I was excited for it and it was pretty disappointing.

Hungry said:
bigvic said:

and

I'm not worried about anyone's feelings necessarily. I just don't typically learn a damn thing from an Mlive.com or Freep article (much less anything from ESPN or other national media) and that's the type of stuff a buddy in NYC or Cali would send me.

You're too nice to your friends. I just say something like, "Welcome to last week" if that happens. Of course, most of the time I'm sending them stuff, so they don't even bother to send me stuff.

My friends know I'm fucking with them and can take it.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Yeah, I thought it was pretty lame this year - nothing new was given. The past couple of years it's been an hour long and they actually showed a good majority of 1 practice. They would talk behind the video of the practice going on - interviews and all. It's like they basically took that all out and just did the interviews and got like 15 minutes of practice on film and just kept re-using the same clips. In the long run it really doesn't matter because football starts in less than two weeks - but I was excited for it and it was pretty disappointing.

Have you watched any of the episodes for other teams this year? Looks like they might be all down to 1/2 an hour, so maybe they just cut content across the board, but I'm wondering if they weren't granted the same kind of access to UM that RR gave them.

DR said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Have you watched any of the episodes for other teams this year? Looks like they might be all down to 1/2 an hour, so maybe they just cut content across the board, but I'm wondering if they weren't granted the same kind of access to UM that RR gave them.

Honestly, I hadn't watched any of the other previews - I did notice that they were down to 30 minutes on my comcast guide but I hadn't watched any of them. I just figured they cut the time but were going to do more of a highlight type show rather than the full practice like they did the past couple of years.

Going along with what Vic said in another thread - I didn't learn anything from watching that show. It was the same old same old. It was like reading a newspaper article. The practice highlights were extremely limited and in the previous shows we actually got to see how each position group was doing because we got to see them doing drills for 5 or so minutes.

I have no idea why they cut it down so much.

Well, there is a seperate preview coming up on friday night on FSD, for those of you who didn't get enough.

For me, I never get myself too excited about these preview shows. These reporters don't know shit. Get to watch like 30 minutes of practice and then try to make shit up about the team they just watched 30 minutes of scripted practice of...Most of the guys on the show despite being former players and/or failed coaches aren't any more knowledgeable or insightful than some people on this board, they just have some connection so they get a great gig on BTN. Most of the stuff is just rehashed stuff that us die-hard msg boarders have already seen and/or heard about. 99% of the fanbase isn't like us, though, so it was all new to them.

I haven't watched it yet. Its on my dvr. I'm going to watch all 12 shows eventually, but i've only watched OH* so far.

as for Hoke's comments, I'm kind of torn. One part of me is expecting the D to be very bad, so there might just be something to Hoke's comments. One part of me is thinking that the D might be improved, so he might just be acting the perfectionist and not giving any praise. We'll all see in a few weeks, I guess.

Hungry said:
Well, there is a seperate preview coming up on friday night on FSD, for those of you who didn't get enough.

For me, I never get myself too excited about these preview shows. These reporters don't know shit. Get to watch like 30 minutes of practice and then try to make shit up about the team they just watched 30 minutes of scripted practice of...Most of the guys on the show despite being former players and/or failed coaches aren't any more knowledgeable or insightful than some people on this board, they just have some connection so they get a great gig on BTN. Most of the stuff is just rehashed stuff that us die-hard msg boarders have already seen and/or heard about. 99% of the fanbase isn't like us, though, so it was all new to them.

The one thing they do have over most of us is playing or coaching at a BCS level. They probably know a lot more about the coaching aspect and the X's and O's than a lot of us - but to be honest, fans like us probably know more about our individual roster than they do.

So they sit and watch practice for 30 minutes and point out some good things they saw and bad things they saw from a more X's and O's standpoint but they never really know the roster like we do. Which leads to them sometimes saying silly things about players that make no sense.

MichiganMicros313 said:

To be fair you'll never hear a coach claim either side of the ball is where they'd like it to be - even if they're a national championship team.

And the defense does probably need a lot of work - to get them to a top 10 defense - but does it need a lot of work to be average? That's the question we should be asking. We only need the defense to be average this first year.

I think there is a big difference in definition when its what RR would consider a bad defense and Hoke would consider. RR said we are close and Hoke says we have a long way to go. Like I have said before I am in no way expecting a lights out def but we will be improved. I am sticking with my guess of top 50-60 nationally which isnt a typical Michigan defense but light year better than last year.

Back