Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hurricane Sandy

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Anyone else on the Atlantic or East Coast?
This hurricane is the widest on record? over 1000 miles wide. Rain coming down sideways and winds over 80 mph. Where I am in metro Boston the winds are around 70, and latest update on the tv is (edit) 450,000 in the state have lost power.

Even with worst of it over by midnight, will be surprised/grateful if I don't lose my electricity.
With a state of emergency here and probably in several other states, they are showing scenes of uprooted trees onto telephone/cable wires and onto houses/cars etc.
Hope everyone and their families stay safe.
Looks like the brunt of it went into land further south and into New Jersey, Parts of New York, and West Virginia and into the other states. Lots of flooding in New York and evacuations everywhere.
Hope all are safe and well along with families.

Last edited:
Anyone else on the Atlantic or East Coast?
This hurricane is the widest on record? over 1000 miles wide. Rain coming doewn sideways and winds over 80 mph. Where I am in metro Boston the winds are around 70, and latest update on the tv is 150,000 in the state have lost power.
Even with worst of it over by midnight, will be surprised/grateful if don't lose my electricity.
With a state of emergency here and probably in several other states, they are showing scenes of uprooted trees onto telephone/cable wires and onto houses/cars etc.
Hope everyone and there families stay safe.

stay safe. looks like all the projected paths have it curving around Massachusetts completely, so some minor flooding and power-outages are all I hope you have to contend with

Should be fine here, but it's getting pretty windy. I'm currently assembling a wind energy 'harvester' (an LED lights up) that's been sitting in the corner for a year. I figure this is my best chance to get the thing to work.

dang, look at the storm surge on that map. that's going to slam NJ. oh well...

it looks like with the direction of landfall, it will miss NYC, but the surge will probably funnel up into NY harbor. what a mess.

Should be fine here, but it's getting pretty windy. I'm currently assembling a wind energy 'harvester' (an LED lights up) that's been sitting in the corner for a year. I figure this is my best chance to get the thing to work.

I hope that thing doesn't blow you to Oz while out trying to stick it on the top of your roof...

Lot of road closures, downed power lines, and flooding around here...but my neighborhood is more or less unscathed. The homes across the street were all without power for a bit last night, but we never lost it. Kind of strange how only that side of the street was affected.

Hope everyone else is safe and sound.

could see some of the effects here last night. we didn't get any precipitation, but it was gusty, and against the full moon, you could see how fast the clouds were moving. they were moving south, as part of the counter-clockwise rotation of the system. the winds to the east of the center are blowing north.

looks like the whole mess is headed due north now, across western NY and Lake Ontario, into Canada.

Red, looks like you guys avoided most of the wetness too. link.

the hillbillies in WV got most of the snow.

Lake Michigan is basically getting churned by the northerly winds blowing south across its entire length. I would not want to be out in that right now.

Atlantic City and area was hammered including the Boardwalk,

2 and a half million people without electricity in New York, 100 homes in Queens burned down from a fire,
at least 10 people in ny and from the tv now at least 18 people have perished from this hurricane, and all that snow down in West Virginia.
God have mercy on these people,

No power, no cell service, basement has 1.5 ft water that I can't pump out till electricity comes back on, currently at in-laws who have power. Still, feeling lucky after seeing the damage all around. At 1am while bailing water a car-b-que went up next to big apartment complex. Thankfully firemen got it under control or that building was in trouble as flames were 20+ ft high licking side of building. Could easily have turned neighborhood into another situation like Rockaway fires. How horrific that must have been.

Going to be a long week just to try getting a start at cleanup. Going to be tons of garbage and gallons of disinfecting fluids to make basement usable. Will be years before "normal" returns in area, if ever.

For a Cat1, sure looks more like Cat4 or 5 came thru here.

Red, looks like you guys avoided most of the wetness too. link.

the hillbillies in WV got most of the snow.

Lake Michigan is basically getting churned by the northerly winds blowing south across its entire length. I would not want to be out in that right now.

Yeah, it rained, but I was expecting it to pour.

Atlantic City and area was hammered including the Boardwalk,

2 and a half million people without electricity in New York, 100 homes in Queens burned down from a fire,
at least 10 people in ny and from the tv now at least 18 people have perished from this hurricane, and all that snow down in West Virginia.
God have mercy on these people,

One of my college roommates lives in Queens and he emailed yesterday about stuff completely unrelated to weather. No mention of weather at all.

Haven't heard from the roommate in Hoboken. I did just send him an email.

No power, no cell service, basement has 1.5 ft water that I can't pump out till electricity comes back on, currently at in-laws who have power. Still, feeling lucky after seeing the damage all around. At 1am while bailing water a car-b-que went up next to big apartment complex. Thankfully firemen got it under control or that building was in trouble as flames were 20+ ft high licking side of building. Could easily have turned neighborhood into another situation like Rockaway fires. How horrific that must have been.

Going to be a long week just to try getting a start at cleanup. Going to be tons of garbage and gallons of disinfecting fluids to make basement usable. Will be years before "normal" returns in area, if ever.

Holy cow. Sorry to hear that. I was thinking the same thing about Cat 1 vs 4 or 5, looking at pics of damage.

one thing is clear: New Yorkers are extremely sensitive about this. do not attempt to joke with them.

Even when you point out that the fact that they smugly blamed the people of New Orleans for their plight after Hurricane Katrina and therefore deserve no sympathy now, they will not agree with you, because as with most people of average or below intelligence, it's all me, me, me. they are unable to see things from any other point of view.

even if they typically enjoy the Onion, when you post Onion articles related to Hurricane Sandy, they will say it's not funny this time, but only because it's about them

edit: I should say some New Yorkers. The Onion is actually based in NYC, so not all New Yorkers are being humorless about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a Cat 1, but that is only based on the sustained wind speed; this was the largest atlantic hurricane on record, so for sheer destructive force in the aggregate it was worse.

plus the storm surge is accentuated, getting funneled into what's almost a right angle (the coast between Long Island and New Jersey) like that

I hate when they call the whole thing a tragedy; it's not. It's what happens every 50 years or so when you live on the coast. hurricanes are what is supposed to happen.

not to sound like a republican, but people failing to heed warnings and evacuation orders is just dumb. now, if they are too old, or mentally retarded, or something like that... well, that's tragic. but the hipsters that figure they can get some great iphone pics of the storm for their pinterest site, or the yokels that figure no government agency can tell them what to do... or the guy that figures he can finally make that wind generator he built light up that LED light so he can tell a bunch of idiots on a message board... assumption of risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

your insurance covers some or all of that, right? presumably, NYC residents are better insured than residents of NOLA... so I'm guessing in the end this won't be quite as "tragic."

on the bright side, NYC got it's 50 year or whatever storm out of the way. I remember reading about how one was overdue.

Back