Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hurricane Sandy

.... Even when you point out that the fact that they smugly blamed the people of New Orleans for their plight after Hurricane Katrina and therefore deserve no sympathy now, they will not agree with you, because as with most people of average or below intelligence, it's all me, me, me. they are unable to see things from any other point of view....

Wasn't it Pat Robertson who said Katrina was God's wrath for all the deviant lifestyles in New Orleans...? Will Pat Robertson attribute Sandy to the ass clowns on The Jersey Shore?!

"If it wasn't for Snookie, this never would have happened!"

Last edited:
The Onion is out of Chicago, actually.

no, only the AV Club part of it. They moved the main offices from Madison, WI to NYC a few years ago.

also, sorry, I didn't mean to sound personal to anyone here; just reading some of the crap online about the hurricane and typing my thoughts on this board because it exists.

.... Even when you point out that the fact that they smugly blamed the people of New Orleans for their plight after Hurricane Katrina and therefore deserve no sympathy now, they will not agree with you, because as with most people of average or below intelligence, it's all me, me, me. they are unable to see things from any other point of view....

Wasn't it Pat Robertson who said Katrina was God's wrath for all the deviant lifestyles in New Orleans...? Will Pat Robertson attribute Sandy to the ass clowns on The Jersey Shore?!

"If it wasn't for Snookie, this never would have happened!"

I had a friend that I remember saying some shit like that about Katrina, "those idiots should've evacuated. not Bush's fault they were stuck there."

he's right... it wasn't Bush's fault, I guess, but in a lot of cases, the people couldn't evacuate because they were too old, or too poor. paying a couple hundred bucks for a bus ticket and a hotel is easy if you're salaried; but if you need that money for food, rent, etc. it still may be a smart call, but you're less likely to play it safe.

anyways... he denied he ever blamed anyone for their own plight in Katrina, and called me a "douche" for not crying tears of sadness that a tree hit his parent's house in NJ and ripped a gutter off the side of the roof. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

no, only the AV Club part of it. They moved the main offices from Madison, WI to NYC a few years ago.

also, sorry, I didn't mean to sound personal to anyone here; just reading some of the crap online about the hurricane and typing my thoughts on this board because it exists.

The Onion went from Madison, WI to Boulder, CO to Chicago. The Corp HQ are in Chicago with regional Sales people all over the place. The Haupt Bros who started it have nothing to do with it any more and I'm sure there is a NY presense too, but the Corp HQ are in downtown Chicago (whatever that actually means for an on-line newspaper).

The Onion went from Madison, WI to Boulder, CO to Chicago. The Corp HQ are in Chicago with regional Sales people all over the place. The Haupt Bros who started it have nothing to do with it any more and I'm sure there is a NY presense too, but the Corp HQ are in downtown Chicago (whatever that actually means for an on-line newspaper).

oh. you're right: link. I didn't know they moved the offices back to the midwest.

guess I take back my other statement

There were probably more nuances to the "HQ" in terms of Print/Distribution vs Corp HQ vs Sales, etc.

No matter which way you cut it, The Onion is pure gold.

I thought the problem with Katrina was the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet canal and the Industrial canal. They basically cut a path straight to New Orleans for the water to surge. Hard to blame the residents for that.

Kind of a neat scene on my way to the brewery this morning. As I cruise along the highway, which is the same highway one would take to go from Lancaster to New Jersey or New York City, I pass a total of fifteen utility trucks from a power company out of Texas.

your insurance covers some or all of that, right? presumably, NYC residents are better insured than residents of NOLA... so I'm guessing in the end this won't be quite as "tragic."

on the bright side, NYC got it's 50 year or whatever storm out of the way. I remember reading about how one was overdue.

No, after Irene came thru last year, state farm decided a few months ago to drop insurance on everyone in area. New companies refuse to offer coverage. Downright criminal they can drop people like that.

Thankfully the storm was downgraded to trop storm just before landfall so ins comps won't be able to claim hurricane, but it is still impossible to get flood ins now. Maybe the poor folks in rockaways who had houses burn down might be covered, for their sake I hiope so...very sad.

Oh,.and I have house in zone b, admittedly made out far better than most and finally was able to get back to living in ho,e tonight. Feels great to be back in own bed again. Tomorow I will finish cleanup and Monday try to see how I can help others. Unfortunately seems another big storm invound for Wednesday.

Insurance companies stopped offering fire insurance in parts of Colorado after the Hayman fire 10yrs ago ....yep, criminal. Insurance companies are literally an agent of Satan. Lobbyists work to pass legislation mandating coverage, deny people coverage, take premiums for years and then refuse to pay out claims, pay them slowly or make the bureaucratic process of filing claims so convoluted it's nearly impossible.

Fuck insurance companies and the significant increase in Ads lately due to Sandy.

"Hey, better call AllState now before your house looks like this one from the Jersey shore...."

Back