Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

1991...a new look back for Lions fans

zyxt9

Now that "the streak" is over, Lions fans may now look at 1991 in a different light.

So, here's a couple of things to recall from 1991 to fill the void. By all means, please add some things that come to mind and add to this list.

1. Microsoft was installing Windows 3.0 onto PCs. Windows 3.1 was in development, but wouldn't be released until 1992.

2. C++ was created and released.

3. Processor speeds were in the 25 to 40...MHz...yep...Mega Hertz... Intel did showcase a 100MHz processor at a trade conference, so things were already looking up at least!

4. The Internet was not yet available to the general public, at least not like it would be a few years later. It was available for colleges and some businesses.

5. TV was Cathode Ray Tube dominated. Plasma? LED??? Never heard of those. And cable was still not dominating the market, but getting close. Majority of homes still had antennae for their reception.

Some of the youth on here might be wondering what Cathode Ray Tube "technology" even is... *sigh*

To add... people born in after the Lions last win in Green Bay have never lived in a world in which CDs or digital audio were not the dominant form of music distribution. These people have never lived in a day when records, tapes, or 8-tracks were common.

People born in 1991 will not remember Ross Perot or the way he divided the presidential ticket in the 1992 election, becoming the first independant of the modern era (pre-current parties) to be considered an actual threat to the two-party system.

People born in 1991 have likely never had to program a VCR to record their favorite show or a game they were going to miss. They have never seen a "Beta-Max".

People born in 1991 have no idea why the phrase "Not the Momma" is funny as hell to those of us who were alive in that year.

People born in 1991 have no idea who or what a Dabney Coleman is.

People born in 1991 were not yet alive when Will Smith became the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire.

I was 8 years old and I remember that game. Unfortunately, that's the only game I remember us winning in GB.

Dabney Coleman.. Yes sir.

If you didn't grow up in the 70's or earlier I feel bad for ya.

I was 11 but I didn't become a lions fan till around 93 so after 22 years I finally got to see a win at lambeau. Even when I was a fan I didn't get to watch many games since I grew up I Kentucky. I just watched highlights and kept up with the ticker. I always looked forward to thanksgiving because that was the one game I was guaranteed to be able to watch.

Holy shit I was in my 20's back then. Half a life a go. It's official, I now feel old.

Holy shit I was in my 20's back then. Half a life a go. It's official, I now feel old.

I was 18 years old in 1991. I was dirt poor, living in a basement level apartment on the corner of Westland and Merriman, where the reception was so bad on antenna I couldn't watch many Lions games.

That November our boss asked for some volunteers to come in and work on Sunday. As it turned out, there was no work, he wanted to see who was going to show up, and took everyone who did to the Lions game. That was the game where Mike Utley was paralyzed.

I didn't get to see the win in Green Bay, because I just couldn't get anything but snow on the TV and wasn't old enough to go watch it in a bar yet.

I was 18 years old in 1991. I was dirt poor, living in a basement level apartment on the corner of Westland and Merriman, where the reception was so bad on antenna I couldn't watch many Lions games.

That November our boss asked for some volunteers to come in and work on Sunday. As it turned out, there was no work, he wanted to see who was going to show up, and took everyone who did to the Lions game. That was the game where Mike Utley was paralyzed.

I didn't get to see the win in Green Bay, because I just couldn't get anything but snow on the TV and wasn't old enough to go watch it in a bar yet.

Tough seeing the Utley injury. Watching that game on TV still haunts me. 1991 for most of old enough was the best season ever, sad to say. Won in GB and won a playoff game. To the good ole days.

I remember years earlier, before Barry, we only got to watch the road games. No sellouts so home games were never on.

I guess someone finally decided 23 consecutive years of not winning in the state of WI was punishment enough for one lifetime, now let's win 23 in a row there to balance it out.

I guess someone finally decided 23 consecutive years of not winning in the state of WI was punishment enough for one lifetime, now let's win 23 in a row there to balance it out.

LOL.......lets start with 50 wins in a 5 year span. Some consistency as an organization would be nice.

Starting NEXT year, of course!!!

71-36-2. That's the record against the Vikings. 96-70-5, vs the Bears. 97-68-7, vs the Packers.

Ever wonder why we have few division titles or back to back double digit win seasons?

Tough seeing the Utley injury. Watching that game on TV still haunts me. 1991 for most of old enough was the best season ever, sad to say. Won in GB and won a playoff game. To the good ole days.

I remember years earlier, before Barry, we only got to watch the road games. No sellouts so home games were never on.

Believe it or not, watching the injury happen wasn't that bad, because none of us realized how bad it was. We all knew he was hurt, but he gave the now famous thumbs up as they took him out on the gurney, and we all figured he was going to miss a few games... but no one knew.

Listening to the radio on the way home, they broke in and announced he was paralyzed. That's when it stunned everyone.

Of course, being at the game, we didn't see the replay over and over like people at home watching on TV. It happened really fast, most people didn't even know what happened until they watched the news that night.

So for me, like most people who were there, it wasn't heartbreaking until after it was over and we were driving home.

I was just talking to somebody yesterday about injuries in the NFL. I really can't believe that there hasn't been a death right on the field. It's just a matter of time.

I was just talking to somebody yesterday about injuries in the NFL. I really can't believe that there hasn't been a death right on the field. It's just a matter of time.

I thought a Lions player died on the field back in the 70s

Yep, Chuck Hughes in '71 died on the field of a heart attack.. but you can't really call that an injury.

Oh my mistake, I thought it was heart related but I also thought it was caused by an on field play or something.

Lions have had some bad luck with players. Utley in 91, Andolsek in 92, who was listening to his walkman in his front yard pruning roses and was run over by a semi truck. Reggie Brown in 97 who died on the field and had to be revived (same game Barry went over 2K).

In a week full of reading stupid, awful shit on the internet, for some reason that made me really happy. What a cool employer to have.

*edit* And to stay on topic, I was 7 in 1991. It was the second full season that I remember pretty vividly, but I think that 1991 season was the reason I got hooked on this shitty franchise.

Last edited:
Back