Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2011 Feels Like Verlander's Season

Says a lot about a guy who can say he did not have his "A" game and still only allow 3 hits, while striking out 10.

Even with 3 walks and 3 ER, most pitchers would kill for that line.

Outside the win total, Gibson had a better year statistically. But 31 wins were spectacular. That year Detroit had 4 players in the top 7 in MVP voting. Amazing.

Turok said:
upnorth said:

That clown calls 1968 Gibson's season?!?

Uhhh... more like McLain's season, and Lolich's postseason, IMO.

Mayo Smith deserves an HM for the way that he handled the team in the WS as well.

I'll give Gibson the 1967 season as a consolation prize.

Wins are a team stat, Gibson had better pitcher stats in '68.

MI_Thumb said:
Turok said:
That clown calls 1968 Gibson's season?!?

Uhhh... more like McLain's season, and Lolich's postseason, IMO.

Mayo Smith deserves an HM for the way that he handled the team in the WS as well.

I'll give Gibson the 1967 season as a consolation prize.

Wins are a team stat, Gibson had better pitcher stats in '68.

They pitched the entire '68 season in completely different leagues as well, and obviously there was no inter-league play during that season either. Not gonna argue over their individual pitching stats for that reason, and I didn't post anything about McLain's W/L record, although it could be said that McLain faced "slightly" tougher competition, with 5 teams in the AL that had records over .500, and Gibson in the NL only 3.

iirc, It was a big reason the mound was lowered.
Luis Tiant 1.60 era 21 and 6.

several with low or below 2.00era.
I think McLain had a 1.96.

Gibson was 1.12 with a 22 and 9 record.
how did he lose 9 games with that miniscule era. run support.

Well at least were pretty mush assured as of now its a 2 person race between JV and Weaver after CC last 2 starts.

14 IP - 19 Hits - 12 ER - 6 HR over his last 2 starts including giving up 5 HR's in tonight's start against the Rays.

Yeah, CC is out of it.

Just need a bad start from Weaver.

Only way Weaver has a shot at the award is if he keeps his ERA under 2.

Back