Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2012 Recruits

It's a very good class and Cox was an awesome player to add. Besides Burbridge there are some really exciting players and tons and tons of speed. There are a couple typical Dantonio sleepers in there that make you question the services as to how in the hell they only have 3 stars. Specifically RB Nick Tompkins from Georgia. His film is outrageous playing at the highest level of high school FB in GA and he has the very definition of that break away burst and speed you want. This is the recruit I am most excited to see on the field. Mark Meyers is another under the radar guy who I cannot believe wasn't rated higher, he will outperform his rating IMO.

The DT they signed David Fenell has an interesting story, his dad is a former CFL D lineman and current mining Billionaire. He sent David to the US to play his senior year in Oregon. A former MSU guy had a line on him and put together a highlight tape, Dantonio saw the tape and invited Fenell for a visit right away. The visit went good and he offered him right away. I've seen the tape, and wow!!! It's safe to say that this kid would have been at least a 3 star, probably a 4 star if more people had seen his film. Just an electric athlete with a great burst and excellent pursuit speed for a 275 lb kid. He likely took Terrell Jackson's (The D player of the year in Ohio) scholarship.

GO GREEN!!!

I think MSU has done a very good job this year. MSU isn't going to make any top recruiting classes but I think they found players that will fit their team. They brought in 3 very good WRs, some good players on D, and some on the OL.

4 WRs actually, Kerrick, Burbridge, Kings, and Madaris. 5 if you count Arnett.

It's a very good class, I geeked out on recruiting a little this year. Depending on which service you go by we got 3-5 4 star recruits. Burbridge, O'Conner (QB), Madaris, Cox, and Lyles all got 4 stars on 1 or more services, but there are several other guys who were right on the cusp of getting their 4th star. Higgins, Bullough, Kings, Tompkins, Price, Jones, and McGowan were all real close to getting a 4th star on more than one of the recruiting services. So that's 12 recruits that were either 4 star or very high 3 star recruits.

You're right, the Spartans will never win any recruiting titles, but we have made some progress and are getting better players than in the past. We've had a couple of very good seasons where we were playing in marquee games on National TV. That stuff pays off in the long run. We're really set up for stellar years in 2012 and 2013 too, if we can get to 40+ wins over 4 seasons, which I think is the least we should expect, that really makes an impression on kids and fans that MSU is for real. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dantonio put together a top 10 class from time to time.

Just wanted to correct myself, Terrell Jackson did not commit to Iowa tonight, he just said Iowa is not out of it. This kid wants to go to Michigan State, he stated that the coaches at MSU were honest with him and told him if they don't get 2 other guys they'll have room for Jackson.

A very reliable poster on another board, (he was dead on for Cox and Madaris among others) seems to think we have Winston locked down and we're right there for Dodson and if we don't get Dodson we'll take Jackson. Winston is a player the coaches are really high on and went all out for during his visit this weekend. He's 6-5+ with a frame that could easily add a ton of weight, he's your typical SEC DE recruit, tall with long arms and he's lightning fast, just needs to add about 30-40 lbs.

Julian Pinnix-Odrick will be taking a visit to MSU this weekend, so maybe Winston isn't a lock. Also, Dodson said he's down to MSU and OSU, not sure if OSU has a spot for him still, but Meyer could find some tricky way to get him in so who knows.

We finish with Dodson and either of the other 3 Julian Pinnix-Odrick, Winston, or Jackson and that's a phenomenal close by MD!!!

Yeah that would be a great close. I didn't think we had a chance at Dodson but it is sounding good.

Everyone's in the fold save for Madaris who's signing at 3 pm with the rest of the Moeller HS kids.

Word is Saban contacted us about taking a DT commit that they don't have room for.

Winston signed with Arkansas, Dodson will sign with OSU probably any minute.

Yeah I saw MSU lost out on Dodson, sucks about losing Winston also. Now if MSU can get some DT from Bama that would almost make up for it.

Back