Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Free Agents

Why would we trade Austin Jackson? Until he starts making 15+ million a year, he's playing below market value. If Ausmus starts utilizing him more as a baserunner his value will only go up.

Why would we trade Austin Jackson? Until he starts making 15+ million a year, he's playing below market value. If Ausmus starts utilizing him more as a baserunner his value will only go up.

Or down, because he has terrible baserunning instincts. Austin Jackson has the speed to steal a good amount of bases, but not the head for it.

Sorry, but Austin will never be the base stealer everyone wanted him to be, he might steal more bases next year, on more attempts, but he'll always be thrown out a good bit or picked off 1st.

CF Chris Young just signed a one year $7.25M contract with the Mets. .235/.315/.746

Good lord!

I want Edward Mujica for a closer. The guy doesn't walk guys and has proven he can close. We could land him for around 7 million a year from what I read.

Or down, because he has terrible baserunning instincts. Austin Jackson has the speed to steal a good amount of bases, but not the head for it.

Sorry, but Austin will never be the base stealer everyone wanted him to be, he might steal more bases next year, on more attempts, but he'll always be thrown out a good bit or picked off 1st.

Im not saying he'll improve a lot (or even at all), but im hoping that vizquel can help him out with his shitty baserunning.

I want Edward Mujica for a closer. The guy doesn't walk guys and has proven he can close. We could land him for around 7 million a year from what I read.

Valverde and Jose Veras proved they could close too. You want either of them?

Just need a good reliever, the term "proven closer" is a mythical concept. A RP only needs to prove he can get guys out, not when.

Im not saying he'll improve a lot (or even at all), but im hoping that vizquel can help him out with his shitty baserunning.

I guess but watching him get picked off first so many times tells me he can;t read a pitcher for shit.

On the other hand take Berry....who had only 1 useful baseball skill to his name, and that was he could tell if a pitcher was getting ready to deliver, throw over or fart. I don't think those instincts can be taught.

I guess but watching him get picked off first so many times tells me he can;t read a pitcher for shit.

On the other hand take Berry....who had only 1 useful baseball skill to his name, and that was he could tell if a pitcher was getting ready to deliver, throw over or fart. I don't think those instincts can be taught.
Possibly, but a lot of that is observation. Vizquel might be able to teach him how to better recognize it. Then again, you could also be right and he might not be able to. Im just hoping he can help lol

Just need a good reliever, the term "proven closer" is a mythical concept. A RP only needs to prove he can get guys out, not when.

I would take Veras back. Mujica is a very good RP. I don't want closer by committee. I prefer assigned roles for the bullpen. That way guys know what they are there to do.

Last edited:

You need a pitcher who can shut down high-leverage situations in the playoffs. Whether it's Bruce Sutter or Sergio Romo. When he gets the hitters out is what is most important.

You need a pitcher who can shut down high-leverage situations in the playoffs. Whether it's Bruce Sutter or Sergio Romo. When he gets the hitters out is what is most important.

Sergio Romo was also not a proven closer when he was given the job. Proving my point.

And I know you disagree, but Benoit did as good a job as anyone. I wish the term "closer" was never invented.

Sergio Romo was also not a proven closer when he was given the job. Proving my point.

And I know you disagree, but Benoit did as good a job as anyone. I wish the term "closer" was never invented.

Kyra Sedgwick just went mad with anger.

I agree with you to a point but my guess is most of the guys in the back end of the BP like to know thier roles. There is something to be said for stability.

Kyra Sedgwick just went mad with anger.

I'm sure Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, and Jack Lemmon (from the grave) are cursing me out with some pretty colorful phrases as well.

I was not attempting to disprove it. Benoit was not especially effective in the '13 playoffs, especially in the ALCS, but he was used poorly as well throughout the playoffs, even in the ALDS. Which, by default means that the rest of the pen was also misapplied.

Back