Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Post season thread to the World Series

I don't have love for either team but I'll go with the lesser of the "I really hate you" Phillies.

I'm indifferent on JV.

Phillies are crushing the Astros tonight 7-0 top of 6 th. They sure can hit homers in that band box park they play in.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/11/01/watercooler-wednesday-59/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you back in actual offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s topic??..

Former Tiger Justin Verlander continues to struggle in the World Series. While he was clutch in the playoffs, he has been horrible in the World Series.

In the ALDS and ALCS, JV has a 15-5 record with an ERA just north of 3.0. But in the WS, he is 0-6 with a 6.07 ERA. His ERA leads all of MLB pitchers for this event. Only Whitey Ford has lost more games, but Ford also won 10 with a minuscule 2.71 ERA.

Ironically, Verlander is expected to win his 3rd Cy Young Award this year. He was a major contributor to the Astros success in 2022.

JV is expected to make another start in the World Series. If you were the Astros manager, Dusty Baker, how would you use JV?

Given his disastrous record, would you give him another start or would you instead use him in an appropriate relief situation?

How should the Astros use Justin Verlander going forward in the World Series?

1. Keep him as a starter.

2. Move him to an appropriate reliever role.

VOTE

Astros even the series up 2-2. A game after the Phillies hit 5 home runs the Astros combined to no hit the Phillies !

2nd no hitter in World Series history since 1903.

Dan Larsen has the other one.

Last edited:
You have World Series tickets. Your team is on fire and you have to sit for 3-4 hours and your team never gets a hit.

Last edited:
Cristian Javier second pitcher since 1969 (Jerry Koosman) to have 6 no hit innings pitched.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-no-hit-phillies-in-world-series-game-4
World Series no-hitter! Javier, bullpen shut down Phils in Game 4.
MLB.com

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-...al,lock_state=final,game_tab=wrap,game=715721
Astros 5 - phillies 0.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=715721
Boxscore. Astros Pitchers strikeout 14 phillie's batters.

Tied at 2 wins apiece. Now a best out of 3 with the last 2 played in Houston.
https://www.mlb.com/news/justin-verlander-to-start-game-5-2022-world-series
Verlander's Game 5 start could check long-awaited box.
Ace will get another chance to secure first career World Series victory.
MLB.com

Last edited:
Top 7th in a tight 2-1 game. Astros have runner at third no outs. Phillies move everyone in.
I know teams have bunting but no one is really hitting why not play for a run. Nope
Bounces out to short. Hold runner. Runner goes on contact opps cut down. Last batter bounces out. Tight game. I would have loved ro see a suicide squeeze there.

Montero so far in the 8th

Walks a batter batting .200 in the ws.
K?s next batter 1 out.
Walks a pinch hitter who is below the Mendoza line.
Single Now 3-2
Runners at 1st and 3d 1 out. Astos in trouble Jv
Getting ready to lose his first win. Astros blew that chance to get a run with
No outs and runner at third .

I would left Pena in. He was lights out.
You could tell with Nicks at bat he didn?t want to throw strikes and go after him.

Pressly in.
Marsh up 0-2 count.
Nasty pitch K?s 2 outs.
Schwarber up. 1-2 count.
Holy smash to first and a great scoop With foot on the bag. Wow (only in because Gurriel was hurt in rundown)
Headed to the 9th 3-2 Astros

Again Phillies have a runner at third with 1 out. I know sac fly ties game and a hit could
Break game open. Is Marah any good. Get the runner in. Nope Squeeze ! I know stupid.
Jv Is back in play !

Last edited:
Astros 9th
Infield single.
K?s. (I never understand not playing for a run )
Single jam shot runners on 1st and 2nd.
Altuve bounces into a dp.

Phillies 9th
2,3,4 coming up.
Hoskins 0-2. Count, foul, foul, ball 1-2 K. 1 out.
Realmuto. 1-1. Fly out to deep center great catch By McCormick
Harper up 2-0.. first pitch was a strike. 2-1 foul. Hbp
Runner on first
Ex Tiger Nick up. 0-2 count. Ball 1-2, ball 2-2,ball 3-2 none close.
Ground out to SS
Jv gets his first World Series win
Astros lead series 3-2 heading home.
Washington win both games in Houston so who knows. As all games were won on the road in
National Astros series.

Jeremy Pe?a first rookie ss with World Series homer.

This was a very tight game. Last two games were great.

Last edited:
Back