Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL mock draft

mhughes0021

1a Will Anderson Jr DE
Yes we suck bad enough to get this guy top 3. Dline is awful. We create 0 pressure.

1b Brian Branch S/CB
Play maker in the secondary. We have 0 of those.

2 Trenton Simpson LB
Play making LB. We have 0 of those.

3 Cam Rising QB
Legit back up qb that can be a starter

These guys will all suck or be injured if lions draft them. All pros if they go to other teams with iron man streaks of starting

We need more than backup QB that might start. Goff isn't up to the task and though we need improvement on D, QB is almost as essential.

We need more than backup QB that might start. Goff isn't up to the task and though we need improvement on D, QB is almost as essential.

Imo we need way more than a qb. Goff is serviceable. That's not good by any means.... but neither is any position group on the defense.

6 of 10 teams on the bottom of the league need qbs right now... including us. Was Car det atl sea hou. All depends where we end up drafting and who's left on the board. If we pick #1 ... sure grab Stroud.

Imo we need way more than a qb. Goff is serviceable. That's not good by any means.... but neither is any position group on the defense.

6 of 10 teams on the bottom of the league need qbs right now... including us. Was Car det atl sea hou. All depends where we end up drafting and who's left on the board. If we pick #1 ... sure grab Stroud.

Sure we do but Goff won't be worth the price tag. So if we need 15 new starters why not just take a QB. Drafting a DE, LB, S - wont make us better either.

Sure we do but Goff won't be worth the price tag. So if we need 15 new starters why not just take a QB. Drafting a DE, LB, S - wont make us better either.

Lions have to hit on like 4 picks next year (and even then you are relying on rookies) and 2-3 good FA signings to turn this around and be one of the healthier teams in the league which doesn't seem to happen with this roster.

Goff was doing well but he cannot handle any type of pressure on the road for some reason. He looked lost and scared against New England. Back on the take a QB bandwagon but don't trade up for one giving up multiple picks.

Stroud or Young or Levis better actually be good. We still have to develop them too.

Lions have to hit on like 4 picks next year (and even then you are relying on rookies) and 2-3 good FA signings to turn this around and be one of the healthier teams in the league which doesn't seem to happen with this roster.

Goff was doing well but he cannot handle any type of pressure on the road for some reason. He looked lost and scared against New England. Back on the take a QB bandwagon but don't trade up for one giving up multiple picks.

Stroud or Young or Levis better actually be good. We still have to develop them too.

If they somehow get the #1 pick you know they are going to pick the wrong guy. I think Young is too small. Stroud scares me because OSU QB's seem to play great in college and have a hard time in the NFL. My guess is because they always throwing to 3 or 4 WRs that end up being first round NFL WRs. Last year he had Wilson & Olave who both appear to be studs already. This year he has Marvin Harrison jr, Emeka Egbuka, & Jackson Smith-Njigba who are all three very likely to be first round picks as well.

If they somehow get the #1 pick you know they are going to pick the wrong guy. I think Young is too small. Stroud scares me because OSU QB's seem to play great in college and have a hard time in the NFL. My guess is because they always throwing to 3 or 4 WRs that end up being first round NFL WRs. Last year he had Wilson & Olave who both appear to be studs already. This year he has Marvin Harrison jr, Emeka Egbuka, & Jackson Smith-Njigba who are all three very likely to be first round picks as well.

Hard to tell who the right guy is with college offenses too.

Could get a Maholmes or a Trubisky
A Stafford or a Justin Fields

And then of course the wrong pick wastes 3 years at least. Still striving to build a defense too with the other picks.

Goff at Dallas in two weeks. If he looks lost again o the road against a good defense, we'll know what we need to do next year. The 20 million in cap space will be worth it at that point.

Is this what it looks like when the Lions even break the will of LKP?

Maybe Campbell is right?..this is rock bottom.

Stay away from sharp objects buddy??wouldn?t want you to do something stupid.

If we are going for it on 4th down on our own side of the field in the 1st quarter, when facing a team with a rookie QB making their first start, it really doesn't matter who we take.

Is this what it looks like when the Lions even break the will of LKP?

Maybe Campbell is right?..this is rock bottom.

Stay away from sharp objects buddy??wouldn?t want you to do something stupid.

Think Lions are going to have to start winning a lot of games to get people to believe in them. Probably like 2 winning seasons because one has tricked us before (2011, 2014)

Roster is super injured but the holes are being smoked out now. QB is one of them based on Goff under pressure/on the road performances. Dline gonna wait to get the injured guys back but probably need a stud 3 tech at least since Levi is like a constant thing.

RG gotta get Vaitai back or replace him with a cheaper healthier solid RG too. Stenberg is done. Kraemer or Brown can play this year if healthy.

Reliable kicker is just a mess to stop with the stupid 4th down choices in FG range. And then of course Mike LB that can cover. Safety have some faith in Joseph developing at least but still need another one with Walker coming off achilles now. And one CB opposite Okudah and one nickel still (maybe Lucas can surprise us there with a miracle).

Rebuild continues and it's ugly so far.

at Dallas, Miami, Green Bay. Can get worse after the bye or show some fight.

Definitely needed that Seattle/at Minnesota win. Was right there and they blow it and now falling apart.

Last edited:

It?s their systems. They are a read option, one read offense. They always have mobile quarterbacks so if a play breaks down after that they can create plays??in college? That doesn?t happen very often in the NFL. Drafting any quarterback from an offense like that is scary.

I don?t know what Bailey Zappe?s career will look like? But you could tell, even when he was in college, that the guy knew how to make reeds and get the ball out quickly. Maybe he doesn?t have the tools to be a superstar, but you could tell he could make a second, third and fourth read even in college.

Justin Fields? Not so much!

It?s their systems. They are a read option, one read offense. They always have mobile quarterbacks so if a play breaks down after that they can create plays??in college? That doesn?t happen very often in the NFL. Drafting any quarterback from an offense like that is scary.

I don?t know what Bailey Zappe?s career will look like? But you could tell, even when he was in college, that the guy knew how to make reeds and get the ball out quickly. Maybe he doesn?t have the tools to be a superstar, but you could tell he could make a second, third and fourth read even in college.

Zappe threw for 5,962 yards (yes in one season) and 62 TDs (yes 62 Tds in one season) for Western Kentucky in 2021. It took all our DBs hurt for him to throw a TD at least against Bobby Price and Chase Lucas at safety.

Last edited:

that was true with Fields but Stroud is not a mobile QB. They probably do play a lot of read option though. I watch all of their games and it seems like the WRs are open a lot but he still has a really great and accurate arm. I think these guys would be best served to stay in college longer and some of them really need to develop vs. just getting thrown to the wolves right away.

that was true with Fields but Stroud is not a mobile QB. They probably do play a lot of read option though. I watch all of their games and it seems like the WRs are open a lot but he still has a really great and accurate arm. I think these guys would be best served to stay in college longer and some of them really need to develop vs. just getting thrown to the wolves right away.

I do think Stroud looks the best out of all the recent Ohio State QBS. Best arm and decision maker, but not as mobile for sure

I thought this team would be bad last year and this year but showing some improvement. They actually look worse this year than last. So my question is why in the hell did they give Campbell and Holmes 6yr deals when know one else was even going for them? If this team doesn?t show a ton of improvement and compete for at least a playoff spot by the end of next season I would at least can Campbell. He is terrible at game management and his tough guy act is wearing thin.

But to the topic in this thread, I liked Hughes picks. They really need to build this defense. I think the offense has a lot of talent. I think Goff can be serviceable and manage the offense if he?s not pressured to score every drive because the defense is so bad. With that being said if he performs pretty well I am all for trading him if you can get something decent for him at the end of the year. I thought we waited a year too long to trade Stafford but Quintricia were trying to save their jobs. Which was why it?s sucked that we let them try another year instead of firing them when you knew they weren?t the answer.

I thought this team would be bad last year and this year but showing some improvement. They actually look worse this year than last. So my question is why in the hell did they give Campbell and Holmes 6yr deals when know one else was even going for them? If this team doesn?t show a ton of improvement and compete for at least a playoff spot by the end of next season I would at least can Campbell. He is terrible at game management and his tough guy act is wearing thin.

But to the topic in this thread, I liked Hughes picks. They really need to build this defense. I think the offense has a lot of talent. I think Goff can be serviceable and manage the offense if he?s not pressured to score every drive because the defense is so bad. With that being said if he performs pretty well I am all for trading him if you can get something decent for him at the end of the year. I thought we waited a year too long to trade Stafford but Quintricia were trying to save their jobs. Which was why it?s sucked that we let them try another year instead of firing them when you knew they weren?t the answer.

2019 they were decent and then Stafford got hurt second half after having a 100 + QB rating first half of 2019. So that got Patricia/Quinn the pass for 2020 and also because it was only 2 years

Campbell will get 3, maybe 4 since he is a nice guy that "rallies the team" (if they go like 6-11 next year, with mostly close losses, he might still stay for year 4)

Raised expectations too quickly (maybe the Hard Knock effect and the offense looking really good first 4 weeks). 5-6 wins still on the table but it is the bar should have kept on. If they don't hit that bar, roster either way will continue to need a major revamp for healthy vet players and more talented rookies in 2023 draft and development of 2021/2022 picks even more.

Last edited:
2019 they were decent and then Stafford got hurt second half after having a 100 + QB rating first half of 2019. So that got Patricia/Quinn the pass for 2020 and also because it was only 2 years

Campbell will get 3, maybe 4 since he is a nice guy that "rallies the team" (if they go like 6-11 next year, with mostly close losses, he might still stay for year 4)

Raised expectations too quickly (maybe the Hard Knock effect and the offense looking really good first 4 weeks). 5-6 wins still on the table but it is the bar should have kept on. If they don't hit that bar, roster either way will continue to need a major revamp for healthy vet players and more talented rookies in 2023 draft and development of 2021/2022 picks even more.

The roster on the defensive side of the ball has needed more talent for a LONG TIME. There are still a LOT of Patricia/Quinn players still on this roster, especially defensively. There needs to be a MASSIVE talent addition and that doesn't happen overnight.

Hutch has the makings of a star. Yes, he has slowed down but is still on pace for double digit sacks and is getting better against the run every week. He will be fine.

Okudah looks like he belongs. Yes, he had a couple PI's yesterday but he has only played 17 NFL games....at least he has some upside and could be a good 2.

Rodriguez was a good find. Natural 2 down LB who has some ability against the pass. You can't put him on an island against quick RB's but can play him in zone and he plays the run well. Imagine if he had any help in front of him?

McNeil has really come on this year. He is the guy getting the most double teams along the front 4 (at least by what I saw) and he is finding ways to make a few plays. Good potential starting level DT.

But that's it. We have 4 players out of approximately 27 who are or/will be considered GOOD nfl players. Yes, I intentionally left off Walker.....who is average at best. Look at the good defenses in the NFL and count how many "good" players they have. Its 9,10.....with backups who either have played at a higher level or they expect to soon.

This regime has always said it's going to take a while. I do think they're a little better than 1-4....but there are too many mistakes. Too many bad coaching decisions. Too many times guys are put in the right position but still fail because they simply aren't good enough.

Blame goes to everyone from Campbell to AG to the individual players. I would hope they are active in the trade market......either getting anything they can for the few players we have that are tradeable and don't fit any long term plans (Chark, Elliot, Jamaal Williams, shit.....even Swift.....who i love but seems to be put together with duct tape and flex seal).

Not giving up on Campbell yet. I think there is a good coach in there but he needs to change up the way he handles a few down and distance decisions and get better at time management.

If we are going for it on 4th down on our own side of the field in the 1st quarter, when facing a team with a rookie QB making their first start, it really doesn't matter who we take.

On the first drive of the game...with the score 0-0.

But to the topic in this thread, I liked Hughes picks. They really need to build this defense. I think the offense has a lot of talent. I think Goff can be serviceable and manage the offense if he?s not pressured to score every drive because the defense is so bad.

Hot Take: Cam Rising can be a better NFL QB than Stroud.

Last edited:
Back