Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL mock draft

Zappe threw for 5,962 yards (yes in one season) and 62 TDs (yes 62 Tds in one season) for Western Kentucky in 2021. It took all our DBs hurt for him to throw a TD at least against Bobby Price and Chase Lucas at safety.

He's a rookie, 3rd string QB that has had exactly one week to practice with the 1's, has less skill position talent than the Lions do..... and outplayed our #1 overall pick. Even Zappe's INT was absolutely not his fault. Hit "ebron hands" Agholor between the numbers in stride on a slant....can't do anything more than that.

I'm not here trying to sell you on Zappe.....but anyone that knows football could see that in college, the guy could read a defense pre snap and get the ball to his best match up. THAT is the guy I want on my team as a backup. His offense scored 22 points.

Ours scored zero.

He's a rookie, 3rd string QB that has had exactly one week to practice with the 1's, has less skill position talent than the Lions do..... and outplayed our #1 overall pick. Even Zappe's INT was absolutely not his fault. Hit "ebron hands" Agholor between the numbers in stride on a slant....can't do anything more than that.

I'm not here trying to sell you on Zappe.....but anyone that knows football could see that in college, the guy could read a defense pre snap and get the ball to his best match up. THAT is the guy I want on my team as a backup. His offense scored 22 points.

Ours scored zero.

Zappe went up against a way easier defense too though. Goff had been doing well until this debacle. Lions will move on from Goff after this season and gain 20 million unless Goff shows he can handle pressure/road games

Hutch has the makings of a star. Yes, he has slowed down but is still on pace for double digit sacks and is getting better against the run every week. He will be

I think he has a chance to be good but he needs to get stronger and develop more pass rush moves. He has no help on the others side either. But his pace to hit double digit sacks is if we play Washington every week.

Zappe went up against a way easier defense too though. Goff had been doing well until this debacle. Lions will move on from Goff after this season and gain 20 million unless Goff shows he can handle pressure/road games

Not sure they will. It would be wise to keep him for the last year of his deal, draft a guy they believe is the next guy, let Goff lead the team for another year......and shore up the defense. Goff has proven he can move the offense when he has the weapons around him....but this defense can barely force a punt.

This record is not a "Jared Goff isn't good enough" issue. No need to save yourself 20 million when they'll have plenty of cap space even if they don't cut him.....and we are not likely to draw any big name free agents anyway.

Build depth, especially along the front 7 of the defense. Overpay if need be. Draft talent to go along with it. Get a QB of the future if he's available but don't sell draft capital to do it.

I think he has a chance to be good but he needs to get stronger and develop more pass rush moves. He has no help on the others side either. But his pace to hit double digit sacks is if we play Washington every week.

Solid point.....but he is also pretty clearly talented enough to do that and be a big time impact DE.

WTF has happened to Harris this year? Of all the disappointments on the defense, I think I'm most upset with his disappearance. He probably hasn't seen one double team but is never around the QB (i know he didn't play yesterday).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-tackle/
Javon Hargrave, Darron Payne, Derrick Nnadi, Dalvin Tomlinson, Poona Ford, bring AShawn Robinson back lol

David Oneymata, Sheldon Rankins and Shy Tuttle are former Saints we could overpay as they are in cap trouble

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/defensive-end//

Marcus Davenport DE from the Saints we could overpay

Clowney, Watt, Ngakoue, Shaq Lawson too old and have other issues and wouldn't go to rebuilding team. Fletcher Cox too old and stays with Eagles most likely

Devin Bush, Roquan Smith, Dre Greenlaw, Tremaind Edmunds would be nice if they hit the market but they probably won't at LB. Maybe Roquan does

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/linebacker//

Kyzir White or TJ Edwards from Philly since they have Nakobe Dean waiting in the wings

Last edited:
2019 they were decent and then Stafford got hurt second half after having a 100 + QB rating first half of 2019. So that got Patricia/Quinn the pass for 2020 and also because it was only 2 years

Campbell will get 3, maybe 4 since he is a nice guy that "rallies the team" (if they go like 6-11 next year, with mostly close losses, he might still stay for year 4)

Raised expectations too quickly (maybe the Hard Knock effect and the offense looking really good first 4 weeks). 5-6 wins still on the table but it is the bar should have kept on. If they don't hit that bar, roster either way will continue to need a major revamp for healthy vet players and more talented rookies in 2023 draft and development of 2021/2022 picks even more.

Passer rating blows. Not Staff specific but it doesn't count fumbles lost, and pick 6's count the same as a regular pick. Also was always inconsistent so no way he's good for 2nd half of season.

Passer rating blows. Not Staff specific but it doesn't count fumbles lost, and pick 6's count the same as a regular pick. Also was always inconsistent so no way he's good for 2nd half of season.

19 TDs 5 picks (0 picks 6s) and lost only 1 fumble

Stafford played great in 2019. No defense or run game then as always. 0-8 without him gave Patricia/Quinn one last chance

19 TDs 5 picks (0 picks 6s) and lost only 1 fumble

Stafford played great in 2019. No defense or run game then as always. 0-8 without him gave Patricia/Quinn one last chance

What part of not specific to Staff did you not understand. Just saying passer rating is flawed.

What part of not specific to Staff did you not understand. Just saying passer rating is flawed.

Agreed. QBR is a bit better, but heavily favors mobile QB?s. Can?t blame immobile QB?s for not being able to move like Lamar Jackson.

Agreed. QBR is a bit better, but heavily favors mobile QB?s. Can?t blame immobile QB?s for not being able to move like Lamar Jackson.

probably because it's better to have a mobile QB vs. a statue. Can't blame the immobile QBs but getting away from pressure or running for a first down is a real advantage.

Back