Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 day Minicamp: Day 1 notes

evolutionkb

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/6/11/4420356/lions-minicamp-news-notes

The Detroit Lions opened their three-day mandatory minicamp with a morning practice on Tuesday. Below is a recap of various tidbits from the practice.
The Lions' first-team offensive line on Tuesday consisted of LT Riley Reiff, LG Rob Sims, C Dominic Raiola, RG Dylan Gandy and RT Corey Hilliard, according to Chris McCosky. Also on offense, the Lions had Patrick Edwards lining up as their third wide receiver.
On the first-team defense, per McCosky, the Lions had Willie Young at defensive end over Ziggy Ansah and Ashlee Palmer at outside linebacker over Travis Lewis and Tahir Whitehead. In the secondary, Chris Houston and Ron Bartell were the cornerbacks (with Bill Bentley at nickel) and Glover Quin and Don Carey were the safeties.
According to McCosky, Bentley had a pick-six during Tuesday's practice.
This doesn't exactly sound very promising for Bill Nagy: OG Bill Nagy still limping noticeably. Not a good sign. Warford running with the 2s at RG behind Gandy
? Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) June 11, 2013 Matthew Stafford said that Ryan Broyles' participation in the Lions' team drills on Tuesday was a last-minute decision, according to Brad Galli. It turns out that Broyles was feeling good, so he decided to give it a go, and he did quite well.
Speaking of wide receivers who are back from injuries ... The Lions are wowed, but not too surprised with Nate Burleson's recovery to full strength. Stafford called him a quick healer.
? Brad Galli (@BradGalli) June 11, 2013 Stafford is well aware of the criticism he and the Lions received for their play last season. Matthew Stafford on criticism of last season: "It's impossible not to hear it...I watch SportsCenter."
? Brad Galli (@BradGalli) June 11, 2013 Darius Slay, who was a full participant for the first time since joining the Lions, intercepted Shaun Hill twice on Tuesday, according to Tim Twentyman.
Also per Twentyman, Havard Rugland made every single one of his field goal attempts on Tuesday, one of which came from 55 yards out.
One more tidbit from Twentyman: "It's clearly noticeable the increased number of batted balls from the defensive line in practice."
Jim Schwartz is preaching patience when it comes to Louis Delmas' knee problems. Jim Schwartz on a frustrated Louis Delmas and if the Lions can count on him: "We have a long way to go to worry about stuff like that."

Lot of good stuff in there, especially concerning the secondary.

OL needs to work on clearing their lanes to prevent the batting down of passes, but they are young and still learning. Sounds like the new guys are currently second string guys. I like that, reduces feeling of entitlement that can come with being an early draft pick, let's them know they still havr to earn their playing time and paycheck.

Kickalicious...so far so good, eh? Lol

Last edited:
Crayola and gandy....hawt. Good news is our secondary is getting picks. Bad news is our offense is throwing picks vs one of the worst secondaries in the league lol.

I think the QB coach was telling Hill to throw those picks in the attempt to boost the confidence of the DBs. ;)

I'm just happy to hear that we'll still be able to put points on the board this year since Kickalicious seems to be the real deal. Any reason they don't mention Akers?

I'm just happy to hear that we'll still be able to put points on the board this year since Kickalicious seems to be the real deal. Any reason they don't mention Akers?

We need to see Kickalicious do this in a real game first before we start calling him the real deal.

Been one heck of a long Day 1...I wonder what notes Day 2 and Day 3 will bring.

Fine...Fine Day 2: http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/6/12/4424234/lions-minicamp-news-notes-day-2

The Lions had Larry Warford and Rodney Austin taking first-team reps at offensive guard on Wednesday, according to Dave Birkett. Dylan Gandy, who was the first-team right guard on Tuesday, was working as the second-team center on Day 2 of the minicamp.
The first-team right tackle on Wednesday was Jason Fox, according to Chris McCosky.
McCosky reports that the Lions have "shut down" Bill Nagy for the minicamp. He still hasn't completely recovered from the ankle surgery he had last summer, and he has apparently been limping quite "badly," according to McCosky.
At defensive end, the Lions rotated first-team reps between Ziggy Ansah and Willie Young, per McCosky.
One more note from McCosky: Travis Lewis was the first-team outside linebacker on Wednesday.
According to MLive's Justin Rogers, Bill Bentley has been standing out in practice. The Lions' official Twitter account posted a great shot of Bentley on Wednesday: Check out @bb5live with the batted-down ball today in practice. twitter.com/DetroitLionsNF?
? Detroit Lions (@DetroitLionsNFL) June 12, 2013 Rogers reports that Kellen Moore appears to have "improved his arm strength this offseason." On Wednesday, Moore connected with Kris Durham on a "beautifully thrown" 45-yard pass.
Sam Martin seems to be doing quite well at punter for the Lions, according to Rogers.
Scott Linehan has been impressed with the job Riley Reiff has done this offseason at left tackle.
A lot of people are impressed with Glover Quin, especially Gunther Cunningham. #Lions DC Gunther Cunningham on S Glover Quin: 'I don't know about the defense, but he?s doing a lot for me. He is something.'
? Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) June 12, 2013 Cunningham has also been very impressed with Darius Slay.
Jason Hanson visited practice on Wednesday.

Day 3: http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/6/13/4428002/lions-minicamp-news-notes-day-3

Jim Schwartz said on Thursday that Matthew Stafford and Joique Bell were the two players who spent the most time at the Lions' facility this offseason, according to Josh Katzenstein.
Tahir Whitehead took his turn with the first-team defense at outside linebacker on Thursday. As noted by Tim Twentyman, Whitehead, Travis Lewis and Ashlee Palmer all got first-team reps this week.
With Chris Houston not taking part in the team drills on Thursday, Bill Bentley got a chance to run with the No. 1 defense, according to Chris McCosky.
At safety, Amari Spievey was with the second-team defense and Ricardo Silva was with the third-teamers, according to Dave Birkett.
Michael Williams got some time with the first-team offense at tight end on Thursday, according to Justin Rogers.
If Louis Delmas misses time again this year because of injuries, the Lions will be prepared to replace him, likely with Don Carey. #Lions coach Jim Schwartz said the team is prepared to play 16 games with or without safety Louis Delmas this season.
? Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) June 13, 2013 Sam Martin continued to impress on Thursday. Lions rookie punter Sam Martin was wowing teammates today, nailing two 70-yarders. Slightly wind-aided but impressive
? Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) June 13, 2013 Havard Rugland also continued to impress on Thursday, as he had "another perfect field goal session," according to Rogers.
Darius Slay said on Thursday that getting to go up against Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson in practice has already made him a better player.
Balaal Hollings, a high school senior who was shot in the head in April, spoke to the Lions as they wrapped up their practice on Thursday. #Lions w/ special visit from Balaal Hollings. Hollings was shot in the head while breaking up a fight in Detroit. twitter.com/DetroitLionsNF?
? Detroit Lions (@DetroitLionsNFL) June 13, 2013

This just in: Gunther Cunningham impressed with jelly donut he ate this morning.

I thought mayhews critique of himself after last season is he didnt address safety.....so now we have don frikken Carey starting?

I thought mayhews critique of himself after last season is he didnt address safety.....so now we have don frikken Carey starting?

Carey played well last year (once he returned from his TC injury) and Mayhew added Glover Quin (keeping one good safety on the field). Plus Spievey as the 4th safety not 2nd safety now. I'd say he addressed it.

Carey gave up only 41% completion, had 2 picks in 6 games and only 38 QB rating against him. He only gave up 7.6 YP completoin which was 6th best in the league. Solid in run support. Coleman, Silva and Wendling sucked and Delmas was hobbled.

Last edited:
Carey played well last year (once he returned from his TC injury) and Mayhew added Glover Quin (keeping one good safety on the field). Plus Spievey as the 4th safety not 2nd safety now. I'd say he addressed it.

Carey gave up only 41% completion, had 2 picks in 6 games and only 38 QB rating against him. He only gave up 7.6 YP completoin which was 6th best in the league. Solid in run support. Coleman, Silva and Wendling sucked and Delmas was hobbled.

Well then...

Delmas is hurt. Carey will start .....what dont you get? Who were they supposed to acquire? They already got a young stud Safety in Quin. Safety was addressed...cmon man

Delmas is hurt. Carey will start .....what dont you get? Who were they supposed to acquire? They already got a young stud Safety in Quin. Safety was addressed...cmon man

were starting Carey....safety wasnt addressed. This is only slightly better than starting wendling last year and mayhew admittingly knocked himself for not adding a starting safety at anytime during the off season.

Resigning an injured Delmas that you dont know when hes ever going to play again doesnt really equate to "addressing the safety position."

GLover quinn averages 60 tackles 1 int and .6 ff a year.....going into his 6th year. Hes not that young....and saying hes a "stud" is a stretch. Hes definitely better than what we had....but we had nothing. Hes so good Houston let him walk so they could sign a 40 yr old Ed Reed for cheap.

They new delmas wasnt going to give you anything anytime soon when they resigned him....either that or they have the worst set of doctors the NFL has ever seen. Meaning they knew they were entering the season looking at Spievey Carey Wendling or Silva as a starter....no good.

ya i know the drill ....everyone is all pro and they all played good. So good they won 4 games. Awesome.

If you think Careys completion % was 41% youre insane lol.

Back