Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

5th rd pick for clady

mhughes0021

How do we not pull the trigger on things like this. Fuck man. ..

Hes a jet.

I'm thinking we are content at what we have at both tackle spots.

Quin dropped the ball. I'm sure he was waiting for Clady to be cut. Clady set to make 6 mil, with 3 guaranteed, jets have option for 17'.we missed out, Quinn is cheap. Tulloch set to make 6 mil, Reiff 8 mil and Pettigrew close yo 5 mil, just putting things into perspective

Last edited:
Quin dropped the ball. I'm sure he was waiting for Clady to be cut. Clady set to make 6 mil, with 3 guaranteed, jets have option for 17'.we missed out, Quinn is cheap. Tulloch set to make 6 mil, Reiff 8 mil and Pettigrew close yo 5 mil, just putting things into perspective

Yep...steal. Quinn's welcome to the NFL moment. 100% the buzz was he was going to be cut because they are right up against the cap, like unable to sign rookies or go over. The Jets were proactive. With only 3 mil G a former all pro will make less than a OT we could draft at 16.

We don't really know how Quinn views the team, nor how much he values health (this was the only reason Clady was available). It's certainly possible that Quinn prefers a young tackle without injury concerns over a veteran that may not be healthy again.

For that matter, Quinn could realistically see this team as a couple years away from actually contending. He could be purposely playing a longer game, reducing risk until the team is really just one or two pieces away.

Or, he could be avoiding major upheaval in the roster so that he can take a year to properly evaluate the players and coaches. There are a lot of hypotheses that could explain NOT making a deal that I'm sure other teams passed on as well (the Broncos would have been stupid to simply take the first deal that came along). Whatever the actual reason is, it's probably not the worst one that we can think of.

Can't blame Quinn unless you include all other teams who didn't trade for me. Too bad though.

It's tough not getting in on that deal, BUT... a lot of teams passed on Clady due to health issues. The guy hasn't really been healthy in two years, and there's a good chance he's not coming back at 100% and a decent chance he doesn't really come back at all.

He's a big gamble. It's pretty early for a new GM to take a gamble like that if it could make him look inexperienced. Quinn needs to look like a seasoned veteran to his peers, even if he's not. Sometimes that means passing on a guy.

Like Smith pointed out. Instead we gamble on Pettigrew? Cut him Clady plus cap space. Quinn's another guy above second guessing I see. How'd that work out with Mayhew? Now this isn't worthy of serious criticism but we know we were in the market for a tackle and this would have been a good option. If two years of injury invalidated someone's career we would have cut Stafford in year 3.

Like Smith pointed out. Instead we gamble on Pettigrew? Cut him Clady plus cap space. Quinn's another guy above second guessing I see. How'd that work out with Mayhew? Now this isn't worthy of serious criticism but we know we were in the market for a tackle and this would have been a good option. If two years of injury invalidated someone's career we would have cut Stafford in year 3.

No doubt about it. And to point out, I explained why Quinn likely didn't make the move, but I started out by saying it's tough not getting in on that.

He's not above second guessing. The point of my post was to say I think he scared himself out of a deal, not to say the deal shouldn't have been made.

I think a lot of young GMs get spooked too easy and miss deals like this. I'd rather he slapped his nuts down on the table and said "Yeah, these should be big enough". But thats just never the case with these young guys.

It could also mean the deal was made and other GM's didn't have time to react. Not like the trading teams waits for every team to say yea or nay.

No doubt about it. And to point out, I explained why Quinn likely didn't make the move, but I started out by saying it's tough not getting in on that.

He's not above second guessing. The point of my post was to say I think he scared himself out of a deal, not to say the deal shouldn't have been made.

I think a lot of young GMs get spooked too easy and miss deals like this. I'd rather he slapped his nuts down on the table and said "Yeah, these should be big enough". But thats just never the case with these young guys.

With that explanation, your and my theories align to a tee.

It could also mean the deal was made and other GM's didn't have time to react. Not like the trading teams waits for every team to say yea or nay.

It was known Clady was on the market for awhile. No takers. Everyone thinks he's going to get cut. You don't need three starting salary tackles. All of a sudden Ferguson retires and the Jets pull a savvy move. Someone just needed to step up and take him. Just a little reminder to Quinn luck favors the bold.

It was known Clady was on the market for awhile. No takers. Everyone thinks he's going to get cut. You don't need three starting salary tackles. All of a sudden Ferguson retires and the Jets pull a savvy move. Someone just needed to step up and take him. Just a little reminder to Quinn luck favors the bold.

Makes sense everyone thought he was going to be cut. I noticed NE or Baltimore or GB etc didn't grab him and they're suppose to be some of the best GM's there are.

Not sure anyone could say Savvy Move. If he doesn't play or play well it's a horrible move.

Makes sense everyone thought he was going to be cut. I noticed NE or Baltimore or GB etc didn't grab him and they're suppose to be some of the best GM's there are.

Not sure anyone could say Savvy Move. If he doesn't play or play well it's a horrible move.

If it doesn't play well they are out $3M and then clean.

Just remember, nobody is going to come out praising Quinn next year if Clady only plays a quarter of the season or no longer plays like an elite LT. But if Clady comes out and plays awesome for 16 games, there are going to be fans from half the league or better trashing their GMs.

This is a calculated risk by the Jets, and there is no guarantee it works. Indeed, even if Clady had come to Detroit and played great, there's no guarantee we would have made the playoffs or won anything.

I see they re-worked the deal.. So he gets hurt, cut out 3m. He plays, but poorly out 6m. Not savvy if either happens.

Edit: And out a 5th round pick.

Last edited:
I see they re-worked the deal.. So he gets hurt, cut out 3m. He plays, but poorly out 6m. Not savvy if either happens.

Edit: And out a 5th round pick.

Mitch like Smith said, for perspective, Tulloch 6M, Pettigrew 5M if they keep them around. Clady is a 3X All Pro (2 first 1 second) and Is still 29 (turns 30 this September). We just signed Johnson Bademosi for 2.1 M! Cap space doesn't roll over, a 3M dollar bet on upgrading one of the worst oline in the league would have been savvy for us and widely praised. It is one Quinn would have likely wanted to make. For the Jets they potentially replace one former all pro LT with another. Good or bad, savvy move at $3M. Given the terms of the deal and our need we missed out. It's okay, not a huge knock on Quinn, like Ink said chock it up to being a first year GM.

The real question here, missing out on two tackles to "bet on yourself" deals. Is having gated community security guard aka Team President Wood already hurting the team?

Last edited:
Mitch like Smith said, for perspective, Tulloch 6M, Pettigrew 5M if they keep them around. Clady is a 3X All Pro (2 first 1 second) and Is still 29 (turns 30 this September). We just signed Johnson Bademosi for 2.1 M! Cap space doesn't roll over, a 3M dollar bet on upgrading one of the worst oline in the league would have been savvy for us and widely praised. It is one Quinn would have likely wanted to make. For the Jets they potentially replace one former all pro LT with another. Good or bad, savvy move at $3M. Given the terms of the deal and our need we missed out. It's okay, not a huge knock on Quinn, like Ink said chock it up to being a first year GM.

The real question here, missing out on two tackles to "bet on yourself" deals. Is having gated community security guard aka Team President Wood already hurting the team?

I get it. But right now you can't really say it's savvy or a bad move. And lets say we traded for him and he did poorly, that just compromises the fact we have Tulloch and Pettigrew.

And he missed two of the last 3 seasons. And he'll turn 30 before the season. Also, 30 other GM's didn't take him either. Many need a T. The savvy move might have been to not take that deal.

Last edited:
Back