Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A Rams Fan Thoughts on Goff

detroit1811

My Background

Longtime Cal fan here. Been watching almost every game since Goff was a freshman at Cal. Enjoyed watching him help lift both Cal and LA to relevance again from years of losing seasons. Hoping he can do the same for Detroid.

Loved Marvin Jones Jr in his time at Cal. So glad to see him have success with the Lions and hope he stays for Goff.

Did a stint as a sideline reporter at Cal during my time there when we were lucky enough to have Aaron Rodgers and Marshawn Lynch at the same time.

As someone who has watched Goff over the last 8 years I want to peel apart what is Goff versus what is McVay.
McVay is a good coach that builds a strong team. Energetic and detail oriented. Is he a perfect fit for Goff? No, with the caveat that the Rams had better pieces than most teams (good defense, WRs, and RB) for the better part of 4 years.

Goff Background

Goff has taken a step back the last half of 2020. He is playing more tentative and is forcing bad throws. Has Goff peaked? I don?t believe so. It looks to me like he is overthinking and suffering from mental lapses or there were bad trust issues with McVay. How do I know?

1. At Cal, Goff was awesome at both the quick pass game (hurry-up) and deep game.
He was never a ?Check-down Charlie?.

2. He led us on so many 4th quarter comebacks with ice in his veins. If we lost, it was
our defense or the receiver missing a catchable ball.

3. Countless times he led 50 second drives when we needed a quick score. This is very
rare under McVay?(see below)

4. At Cal, Goff was often a slow starter but would get stronger as the game wore on. He
didn?t suffer from mental breakdowns in the 4th quarter like previous quarterbacks or
the competition.

5. His offensive line at Cal was horrible. They ran a vertical set and he rarely had time.
He would maneuver and get the ball out quickly. Something he did well in 2018 but
not as well this year.

6. Goff was money against pressure in college. Someone can look up the stat. All I
could find was this espn article Jared Under Pressure Meaning Goff at one time was
good against pressure.

McVay Observations

Rams are lucky. 4 straight winning seasons. Superbowl appearance. Should he be McVay OC too? No he should give up game day play calling. He has been outclassed against better defensive coordinators. His scheme is not that great.

1. Under McVay, the rams have been mostly poor in the 2 minute drill. Goff was terrific
at 2minute. No Huddle? No problem! It also shows when the Rams are down that
they struggle to score quickly. Is this intentional? Does McVay want to keep time of
possession to protect the defense? All short-route YAC receivers? Is the goal 10 play
drives all the time?

2. He always spends every second talking to Goff until the 15 second mark. Part of what
makes McVay a top coach is that he prepares his team very well. He has notes for all
players all the time. He drafts/recruits football junkies that care like he does about
the nuances. Is this too much for Goff to process 60 plays a game every game? Is he
overcoaching Goff to the point of analysis paralysis? I tend to think this is the case.
The way to confirm would be to see if Stafford or whatever future QB suffers the
same climb then drop after a few years of McVay. Anyone who has followed McVay
with Griffin/Cousins, did the same climb and drop-off occur?

3. Redzone problems. Goff was never Rodgers in the redzone but he was pretty good at
Cal. McVay on the other hand was not at Washington and those struggles are
continuing. I think this is more play calling and formation. If you have a huge
TE/possession WR you can throw those fades. Gives you more power-blocking
options as well or add another lineman.

4. Control freak? One of the most interesting things I thought to happen was Matt
LaFleur leaving after one season. I think I read it was because he wanted to call
plays? Now he is HC at Green Bay and they have done very well.
There?s been a different Offensive coaching staff aside from McVay every single year
at the Rams. That could explain some of the inconsistency for Goff.
How much of losing coaches is McVay?s Personality versus guys getting poached like
Zac Taylor/Staley? This year McVay lost almost every single coach from his team.
Packers are now interviewing their Safety coach as possible DC.

Overall I suspect that McVay is over-coaching at times. He struggles to manage the clock and it results in a lot of penalties/delay of game. It doesn?t give Jared a lot of freedom to get a play, go the line and take advantage of what he sees. He often has about 10 seconds to get the play out, look around and go. Sean?s primary goal on every play appears to try and take advantage of matchups. The problem is that great defensive coaches have learned how to disguise the matchups and trick the rams.

Goff with the lions?

A new coaching staff brings a world of possibilities. Goff is a good player and far from broken. He needs to mesh well with the new coach because he can make all the throws. I can?t wait to see what he can do because I do believe he is a top 12 QB in the right circumstances.

Rams better without Goff?

Very hard to say. Stafford was about as good of a QB as you could expect to find on the market aside from maybe Watson. Stafford is not a mobile QB which all 3 of the Rams backups are. Why did he get an immobile guy? McVay had Griffin at one point and seemed to want to go to a Mobile QB as his next guy.

The Rams will likely be winning team again next season. The Rams Defense was a bit overrated: great against the pass, and soft against the run. I expect the Rams Defense to be down next season and Offense to be up with Stafford making for another 10-11 win team.

How do we feel about Lynn as an OC? Herbert looked awesome this season but their offense overall struggled.

I pulled this from another forum. Just thought it was a very well thought out post and was worth a read from someone who has followed Goff's career since college.

It is clearly a biased opinion.

The one thing he keeps doing is comparing Goff at Cal to Goff in the NFL. That is beyond dumb. Goff playing in the PAC12 vs. shitty defenses vs. the NFL where even the bad defenses are much faster and more athletic.

At this point we can only move forward, let's wait and see how things play out over the next 2 years.

I could see him being overcoached and limited. and you can tell McVays offense was figured out. Hell patricia figured it out in 2018. Pats used that in Super Bowl. From there it was more exposed and way less run success in 2019 at least.

Maybe if they open things up, we'll see a new Goff. Might take some time though and of course Lions lack the WRs now with expiring contracts that the Rams have/had Woods, Kupp and Cooks until 2019 . Goff has Swift and Hock though which will be great security blankets for him.

Last edited:
I think its worth adding that we dont know what were going to get from our offensive coaching staff. Alot of what the OP talks about i can see happening here

-Lynn has never called a play in his life. Will he be good at it....or run into the same issues as the OP stated Mcvay ran into with timeliness of playcalling?

-Oline isnt great. Goff isnt getting more mobile....hes definitely showing less of an ability to get out and create when pressured.

-Weapons. Who knows how it will turn out but as of now he has Cephus as a #1 and Geronimo Allison as a #2 lol.

I think its worth adding that we dont know what were going to get from our offensive coaching staff. Alot of what the OP talks about i can see happening here

-Lynn has never called a play in his life. Will he be good at it....or run into the same issues as the OP stated Mcvay ran into with timeliness of playcalling?

-Oline isnt great. Goff isnt getting more mobile....hes definitely showing less of an ability to get out and create when pressured.

-Weapons. Who knows how it will turn out but as of now he has Cephus as a #1 and Geronimo Allison as a #2 lol.

Correction on Lynn. He called plays in Buffalo in 2016. For the chargers he did not.

Back