Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A-roid other players involved in PED's?

Both sources, speaking independently, identified Gonzalez as the only Bosch client named thus far who did not receive performance-enhancing drugs. A document obtained by "Outside the Lines" bolsters their case: On a computer printout of clients, Gonzalez, identified by the code name "Gladiator," is said to have received $1,000 worth of substances, but under "notes" are several substances not banned by Major League Baseball: "gluthetyn" (which a source said was a misspelling of glutathione), "IM [intramuscular] shots," and amino acids.

Glutathione is an anti-oxidant, and one source said the "IM shots" Gonzalez received were "MICs," a medically dubious but legal combination of methionine, inositol and choline, often used for weight loss.

I take these,
Immune booster, amino acids, and B complex.
Gio should be safe. but thing is the seed is planted in peoples minds.

That's why you're the best poster...you're on roids.

I take these,

lol. thanks MC....might be some who would disagree.

Hope you have had a great B-day!!

I take these,

lol. thanks MC....might be some who would disagree.

Hope you have had a great B-day!!

Thanks! Me and JV :)

I think that a year for the first offense and a lifetime ban for the second is a great idea. Not many will wanna cheat then.

I think that a year for the first offense and a lifetime ban for the second is a great idea. Not many will wanna cheat then.

I agree there. Or even you get caught even once, you can't win any awards, participate in the playoffs or get a ring even if your team won a WS.

It has to be extremely serious. I would actually make the first offense a 3 year ban and you forfeit any and all money during your current contract. So if you are on year 3 of a 5 year deal the team gets to recoup it all. Next offense is a life time ban.

This will never happen but it has to be extreme. Right now it is still worth it for a player to try and gain an advantage even if they get a 1 year ban. Look at Melky. He was out a year and now he signed a huge deal. No big deal. The punishment has to absolutely crush them in the wallet and even jeopardize their career so the risk is not worth it. Take away their earning power for a few years. Time is not on an athlete's side. Shaving an automatic 3 years off of their careers should make it so it's not worth it. Plus it will be harder to get back into the league after a 3 year layoff. A lot of teams may not want to touch you. That's the only way to even hope to stop it.

Like I said though, this will never happen.

Everything kind of change for the mlb moves at a snails pace.
Initially the MLBPA didn't want any shape or form of any kinds of testing. Exactly how many years ago that was, and to where they have come to, shows they have a ways to go to really really make these players who cheat think twice about it.

Something closer to these stiffer penalties posted, imo, would come in 10/15/20 years, again, jmo. 'Most all of you' will be around to see it, and probably, I would guess, the same type harsher rules with football/basketball.

I do like these harsher penalties suggested. really sick of all this cheating.

Last edited:
The problem is they need someone who's a real "name" to speak up on PED use punishments.

It's nice Cuddyer is being vocal, but lets face it, that guy would not make many rosters. they need someone who's name has never been associated with the PED scandal and who's put up good numbers. Jeter or Ichiro perhaps.

The problem with that is, you end up talking about people who most likely are your teammates, it's really a no-win scenario.

I'm starting to believe the people who say the game will never be clean again.

Looks like they are considering tougher penalties for 2014.

"I have been interested in stiffer penalties for some time," Selig said.

"We've made meaningful adjustments to our testing, and it is time to make meaningful adjustments to our penalties."

Selig said there were only five positive tests of the more than 5,000 conducted last season.

The new penalties are intended to deter the small number of those who still don't see the current ones as harsh enough.

"I don't know if we can ever get to zero; there will always be somebody out there," Selig said. "For a very small percentage of people it hasn't served for as much of a deterrent as I think it should."

Selig also said recent comments made by MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner, who stated the topic of stricter punishments should be addressed, indicated both sides are in agreement.

"The players have been discussing whether changes in the penalties are warranted since the offseason," Weiner said during a telephone interview Saturday.

"As I've said throughout spring training, there's a variety of player views on this subject. In fact, during the offseason we suggested to the commissioner's office the possibility of differential penalties, namely advanced penalties for certain intentional violations but reduced penalties for negligent violations.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2013/s...selig-calls-tougher-drug-penalties-violations

http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/22/m...awsuit-anthony-bosch-biogenesis/?sct=uk_t2_a3
MLB planning a lawsuit.

The New York Times? Michael Schmidt reported late Thursday MLB is planning the suit, which will allege the individuals connected to the clinic, Biogenesis of America, damaged baseball by providing top players access to performance-enhancing drugs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/s...linked-to-florida-anti-aging-clinic.html?_r=0
Baseball Said to Be Suing People Linked to Florida Clinic.
from the newyorktimes

Typical Selig.

Deflect the problem by going after the clinic, not the customers.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/03/22/m...awsuit-anthony-bosch-biogenesis/?sct=uk_t2_a3
MLB planning a lawsuit.

The New York Times’ Michael Schmidt reported late Thursday MLB is planning the suit, which will allege the individuals connected to the clinic, Biogenesis of America, damaged baseball by providing top players access to performance-enhancing drugs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/s...linked-to-florida-anti-aging-clinic.html?_r=0
Baseball Said to Be Suing People Linked to Florida Clinic.
from the newyorktimes

Unless MLB can prove that Biogenesis intentionally solicited certain MLB ballplayers in an effort to lure them into taking banned substances, I have my doubts as to how successful MLB will be after suing them in court.

Last edited:
http://mlb.si.com/2013/03/22/mlb-biogenesis-lawsuit/
MLB all wrong in attempting to fight Biogenesis in court.
from sportsillustrated

Time to make the punishment for buyers and sellers much harsher.

Almost exactly a year ago, Forbes magazine?s Mike Ozanian wrote, ?The National Pastime is flourishing thanks to cable companies? desire for live baseball programming. The average Major League Baseball team rose 16% in value during the past year, to an all-time high of $605 million.?

"In December, Biz of Baseball?s Maury Brown reported that after two years of relatively flat revenues, MLB took in $7.5 billion in 2012, and that after adjusting for inflation, baseball?s revenues have increased 257 percent since 1995"

So much for MLB's contention that it has experienced significant financial harm, due to some of their active players' alleged/suspected use of banned substances...their lawsuit has no basis in fact. (and actually is/was the direct opposite) Their pathetic attempt to use the court system to circumvent their inability to force Biogenesis to cough up "incriminating" evidence on suspected banned substance/PED-abusers in MLB is likely going to fail miserably, if not totally blow up in their money-grubbing collective faces.

If MLB had not permitted this PED shit to go on, especially in the late 90s and early 00s and looked the other way while new, mostly offensive records were being set by certain "All-Stars" mostly in order to revive the sport from its earlier strike-ridden doldrums, and before they had reaped the $$$ rewards...and then when the truth/fact that many players were cheating began to leak out, they suddenly decided that enough was enough, and began their crackdown...then it is very likely that MLB wouldn't find itself in this idiotic "shut the barn doors after the horses got out" position to begin with...IMO.

Almost exactly a year ago, Forbes magazine?s Mike Ozanian wrote, ?The National Pastime is flourishing thanks to cable companies? desire for live baseball programming. The average Major League Baseball team rose 16% in value during the past year, to an all-time high of $605 million.?

"In December, Biz of Baseball?s Maury Brown reported that after two years of relatively flat revenues, MLB took in $7.5 billion in 2012, and that after adjusting for inflation, baseball?s revenues have increased 257 percent since 1995"

So much for MLB's contention that it has experienced significant financial harm, due to some of their active players' alleged/suspected use of banned substances...their lawsuit has no basis in fact. (and actually is/was the direct opposite) Their pathetic attempt to use the court system to circumvent their inability to force Biogenesis to cough up "incriminating" evidence on suspected banned substance/PED-abusers in MLB is likely going to fail miserably, if not totally blow up in their money-grubbing collective faces.

If MLB had not permitted this PED shit to go on, especially in the late 90s and early 00s and looked the other way while new, mostly offensive records were being set by certain "All-Stars" mostly in order to revive the sport from its earlier strike-ridden doldrums, and before they had reaped the $$$ rewards...and then when the truth/fact that many players were cheating began to leak out, they suddenly decided that enough was enough, and began their crackdown...then it is very likely that MLB wouldn't find itself in this idiotic "shut the barn doors after the horses got out" position to begin with...IMO.

So MLB went up in value because of peds? Or they went up in value despite peds? Not sure I understand your point.

Back