Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ABCD on MGoBlog - Pt 2

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/nuss-wont-make-it-year-2

His latest thread has inspired 3 copycat threads. His post "Nuss won't make it" (link above) is followed by 3 other "won't make it" threads.

LOL, look how negative his feedback rating is.

I'm always surprised how visceral a response people have to his posting style; to me reveals more about them than him. They can't think outside the box. They see something unusual and they panic: "What is this?!?! Get it away from me! Help! Mommy!"

I do agree with what he's saying... it's really Nussmeier that gives me little to no hope here. And I guess by extension, Gardner, since he can't run anymore apparently, and Nussmeier can't call plays that work to his limited skillset.

I was thinking we have made some progress on offense this year, as our negative yardage plays are way down (I think we were in the 100's last year, and we're in the 50's this year), and we seem to have some running game now, albeit the evidence is from the IU and NU games. But that's still better than LY when we had no running game whatsoever.

but like ABCD said on the thread, Nussmeier's O-calls work ok for a series or two; he can get us to the 50 or the opponent's 40 okay, but then things fall apart.

At Alabama, playcalling was not too complicated; and I suppose Saban was more hands-on than Hoke, and gave Nussmeier feedback and guidance. here he doesn't have that, or the raw NFL-ready talent, so he's just too inexperienced and out of his element.

Last edited by a moderator:
that dude had an odd nasty streak too, at times. definitely an oddball but it is funny how some of the replies are verbatim to those back in the day on ESPNsucks. Calling him a robo-poster or using some sort of software ..and too the rather abrasive response to his syntax and unique style.

------------------------> BATTLE OF THE PEPPERONI!

that dude had an odd nasty streak too, at times. definitely an oddball but it is funny how some of the replies are verbatim to those back in the day on ESPNsucks. Calling him a robo-poster or using some sort of software ..and too the rather abrasive response to his syntax and unique style.

------------------------> BATTLE OF THE PEPPERONI!

He had a nasty side?

He was just too incomprehensible to me, I guess, for me to have taken notice of that...

during some of the elections and Bush back-and-forth of ten years ago or so, he could get pretty intolerable and insulting if you were conservative or didn't agree with his very left-leaning ways. he went off the deep end there with THE MOB stuff but got sort of nasty at times. I just started ignoring him altogether at one point. don't miss him over here to be honest.

during some of the elections and Bush back-and-forth of ten years ago or so, he could get pretty intolerable and insulting if you were conservative or didn't agree with his very left-leaning ways. he went off the deep end there with THE MOB stuff but got sort of nasty at times. I just started ignoring him altogether at one point. don't miss him over here to be honest.

He actually had political opinions that one could decipher in that mess?

Good Lord...

I am certain I recall phrases like, "Goose-stepping Nazis" though it may have been gOOs-tepping-NAzIs

I do agree with what he's saying... it's really Nussmeier that gives me little to no hope here. And I guess by extension, Gardner, since he can't run anymore apparently, and Nussmeier can't call plays that work to his limited skillset.

I was thinking we have made some progress on offense this year, as our negative yardage plays are way down (I think we were in the 100's last year, and we're in the 50's this year), and we seem to have some running game now, albeit the evidence is from the IU and NU games. But that's still better than LY when we had no running game whatsoever.

but like ABCD said on the thread, Nussmeier's O-calls work ok for a series or two; he can get us to the 50 or the opponent's 40 okay, but then things fall apart.

At Alabama, playcalling was not too complicated; and I suppose Saban was more hands-on than Hoke, and gave Nussmeier feedback and guidance. here he doesn't have that, or the raw NFL-ready talent, so he's just too inexperienced and out of his element.

I really don't know what's going on with Nuss. He has been successful and made QBs and offenses better at every stop except Michigan and Fresno State. The Fresno QB didn't regress. Hell, he made Jake Locker look like he was worth a top 10 draft pick. He made Keith Price a "darkhorse" Heisman Candidate. He got fucking Marc Bulger to a Pro Bowl.

Tom Brandstater and Devin Gardner are the only two QBs under Nuss to not vastly improve or play the best football of their careers. Both were seniors when Nuss came in. Maybe he just can't fix players that are irreparably broken from 4-5 years of bad coaching?

Last edited:
I really don't know what's going on with Nuss. He has been successful and made QBs and offenses better at every stop except Michigan. Hell, he made Jake Locker look like he was worth a top 10 draft pick. He made Keith Price a "darkhorse" Heisman Candidate. He got fucking Marc Bulger to a Pro Bowl.

Tom Brandstater and Devin Gardner are the only two QBs under Nuss to not vastly improve or play the best football of their careers. Both were seniors when Nuss came in. Maybe he just can't fix players that are irreparably broken from 4-5 years of bad coaching?

their records at UW those years were really not that great. I don't think Locker was as good as advertised either.

giving Nussmeier credit for Locker, is like giving Spurrier credit for recruiting Clowney. I think 99% of what you read in either case was the result of each of those guys having a good publicist behind the scenes. They each got more talk than they deserved...

It also might be that he was a good QBC, or at least could handle that level of responsibility; putting the entire offense on him, in addition to grooming the QB, is just too much for the guy.

If I had to fix Michigan's coaching staff, and couldn't fire anyone... I would force Nussmeier to take a pay cut, and give the QB duties to a separate coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's mainly that Gardner is now coached to run through a progression he wasn't used to and has started to lock on to his receivers (clearly). Though disappointing this fall, I always got the sense that Nuss really saw Morris and then Speight as 'his type' of QB, from some of his remarks during the pre-season.

DG did better under Borges but that may not be an indictment of Nuss

their records at UW those years were really not that great. I don't think Locker was as good as advertised either.

giving Nussmeier credit for Locker, is like giving Spurrier credit for recruiting Clowney. I think 99% of what you read in either case was the result of each of those guys having a good publicist behind the scenes. They each got more talk than they deserved...

It also might be that he was a good QBC, or at least could handle that level of responsibility; putting the entire offense on him, in addition to grooming the QB, is just too much for the guy.

If I had to fix Michigan's coaching staff, and couldn't fire anyone... I would force Nussmeier to take a pay cut, and give the QB duties to a separate coach.

Washington was a wasteland of talent. They had Locker and Polk. That was it. They were 0-12 the year before Nuss showed up and the defense was a shitshow. Their offense improved every year under Nuss. From MGoBlue:

"The Washington Huskies offensive unit improved statistically in each of Nussmeier's three seasons. The offense doubled its scoring output during his first season (2009), led by the passing of Locker and running of Chris Polk. The production was better in 2010, with a balanced attack that gained 2,238 rushing yards and 2,475 passing yards. Polk gained 1,415 rushing yards, the second-best total in school history, and Locker completed his career ranked first or second in every major passing category. Locker was the eighth overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft.

In his final season at Washington, the offense scored 57 touchdowns and 434 points to finish with the second highest totals in school history; behind only the 1991 national championship team. Nussmeier coached first-year starter Price, who set school records for passing TDs, completion percentage and pass efficiency. Price was seventh nationally in pass efficiency and Polk ranked 16th nationally in rushing."

I got the sense he was more a moderate Republican, or at least a more centrist democrat, but was particularly sensitive to the slide to right wing extremism; and these days if you call out the Tea Party, you're pretty much forced into the left wing camp (like Red_and_Guilty). abcd liked Gerry Ford, and considered the current GOPs failure to stand up to the Tea Party to be failing to man up... I thought I remember him comparing it to BM folding to The MOB and hiring an outsider to coach the football team.

he seemed to know his history better than almost anyone else who posted; I liked the comparisons to War, discussing Lloyd Carr reading Rudyard Kipling's poetry, etc.

...the posts with the "FVCK"s.

the MOB thread was classic. I guess you could call that his nasty side...

It was pretty funny when he admitted he was actually a UVA alumnus after all that.

It was all the Mike DeBord stuff there that pushed it over the top for me.

Back