Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Adam LaRoche walks away from $13 Million

Ha White Sox management has always been awful towards their players.

Probably similar with other ball teams. I also doubt its everyday, he has school eh? And what about the Mom? Does the boy spend time with her? I could understand if he was single/divorced/widower etc.

Also, if the other 24 guys didn't object I don't see a problem.

whitesox and ken williams know how to shoot themselves in the foot.
No DH.
Opinions are on both sides of the fence with this.

Checked LaRoche's salary Career to date (may be incomplete). $71,807,500. Does not include future salaries ($13M)
Baseball Reference

Probably similar with other ball teams. I also doubt its everyday, he has school eh? And what about the Mom? Does the boy spend time with her? I could understand if he was single/divorced/widower etc.

Also, if the other 24 guys didn't object I don't see a problem.

VMart bring Victor Jose almost everywhere. Prince Fielder grew up in the Tigers/Blue Jays/Yankee clubhouses.

Honestly I don't see the problem, and the White Sox have not said what the reason was specifically.

But consider that a baseball player lives up to 9 months of the year away from home (assuming they make their home in a city that they don't play for) and half those games are road games plus ST so you are basically away from your family for very long periods of time. I can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his son, especially when it seems so many kids don't get enough time with their parents.

I fully expect Kenny and the White Sox to cave in the next few days and change their attitude towards the issue.

I am on both sides . White Sox have every right to ask this. Plus they never said never they just told Adam not to bring him everyday. Adam has made enough money he can walk from 13 million. But if Adam had had a good year last year Williams would not have said boo,

Last edited:
VMart bring Victor Jose almost everywhere. Prince Fielder grew up in the Tigers/Blue Jays/Yankee clubhouses.

Honestly I don't see the problem, and the White Sox have not said what the reason was specifically.

But consider that a baseball player lives up to 9 months of the year away from home (assuming they make their home in a city that they don't play for) and half those games are road games plus ST so you are basically away from your family for very long periods of time. I can't blame him for wanting to spend time with his son, especially when it seems so many kids don't get enough time with their parents.

I fully expect Kenny and the White Sox to cave in the next few days and change their attitude towards the issue.

I don't either. Just that others teams would. I don't know about VMart and his situation but Little Prince wasn't at the ball park all the time. I still wonder why the Moms wants him gone everyday? Plus, what about growing up like other kids, playing the game with the neighborhood kids..

Seems that there is "complicancy" on both sides. Sox let a situation get too far and LaRoche took advantage. The kid has his own locker. Sox ask to dial back the situation and LaRoche took his son and went home. Did he really want to play there if that's his reaction?

This is the problem with not having rules in black and white. I don't think there would be a problem if there was a sign that said "team personnel only beyond this point" and it was enforced. Teams don't want to do that but they also don't want a kid to always be a fixture in the locker room, it's not always a kid friendly environment. If you allow kids in, there's the possibility of a player abusing the privilege. The team didn't say your kid is never allowed, just not to the extent that he was there. I'm on the white sox side here, kids attending work with their parents should be limited.

I don't think they are only pissed about this, likely a culmination of things. Williams has had a few public spats in the past with Frank Thomas, ozzie Guillen and others.

One thing about this, Williams was likely not alone in thinking the kids presence should be dialed back. I'm sure it was becoming an issue with some players and coaches and it rolled up to the president. I'm sure those who back Williams will stay silent though

I don't think they are only pissed about this, likely a culmination of things. Williams has had a few public spats in the past with Frank Thomas, ozzie Guillen and others.

One thing about this, Williams was likely not alone in thinking the kids presence should be dialed back. I'm sure it was becoming an issue with some players and coaches and it rolled up to the president. I'm sure those who back Williams will stay silent though

The way Sales says it, the players had no problem with the boy.

The way Sales says it, the players had no problem with the boy.

I don't think any player would come out publicly and say that they did but my guess is that this wasn't 100% on Kenny Williams. I would think in a locker room with grown men that they wouldn't always want to monitor what they say and how they act because they were in the presence of a kid

Isn't this one of those things where you weigh the opinions of the clubhouse? Wouldn't a guy like Sales' opinion weigh a bit more than other people?

Why wouldn't Williams tell the player(s) complaining about the kid to take it up with LaRoche? If the player is too afraid to say something to LaRoche, chances are his/their opinion isn't valued by the rest of the team either.

I don't think any player would come out publicly and say that they did but my guess is that this wasn't 100% on Kenny Williams. I would think in a locker room with grown men that they wouldn't always want to monitor what they say and how they act because they were in the presence of a kid

I'd say it's 99% on Kenny Williams. He handled it poorly, and still hasn't offered a straight answer to anything about it. And now Reisnedorf (sp?) has put a gag on it. Sale's reaction alone is the most telling. He's the face of that franchise right now, and he's telling everyone that KW fucked this up and should be the one leaving the team. That's pretty hard to overlook.

Back