Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Air Force admits F-35 is program a failure

I have also seen this issue with computer programming. Something needs changed but the existing algorithms lack any documentation about how and why it was written, and the way it was done is very confusing resulting in a complete redo being faster and easier than trying to adjust what is already there because somewhere a special tweek was done to make it work but it is no longer easily identified or understood. Sometimes the new code is faster/better, sometimes it is not, but it is what the new programmer was able to make work so you run with it.

I'm vaguely aware of some of that. Like code that was written for specific hardware with knowledge of what some old chip does. Like this data location corresponds to a register that only counts to 255 and rolls over so the script sends bigger numbers there as a modulus operation. More insanity. You could put it all in a book, but nobody could digest it all. You need to have old guys around.

Last edited:
Since the conversation turned to China, one thing that the world could do to remind China that it is a totalitarian regime that oppresses its citizens and inhabitants is to enmasse boycott the 2022 Olympics.

Since the conversation turned to China, one thing that the world could do to remind China that it is a totalitarian regime that oppresses its citizens and inhabitants is to enmasse boycott the 2022 Olympics.

Also, drop the America First routine and try to beat them at their Belt and Road work.

Last edited:
Other things the book (Kill Chain, by Andrew Cockburn) noted about the drone industry, and defense contracting these days in general: HUGE investments in computing power and software were often bundled into the deal with military hardware. Or presented as a necessary add on after the buyer (i.e. the US government) learned that the hardware needed more computing power to work as advertised.

also, the drone industry and CIA have pushed for fully automated systems... they want killing to be done without a pilot in a seat somewhere.

which was in line with another trend: more money for systems and hardware, less money for humans/service members.

I kinda wonder - given the dependence on being connected to a high speed data network to function - how much of our military hardware would be "bricked" on the battlefield if an adversary knocked the network out or jammed the wifi?

Maybe we can issue infantry with bags or rocks to throw, or wooden clubs to carry just in case?

It's often attributed to Einstein, but I don't think it's known who said it first
Joe Laitin reports that reporters at Bikini were questioning an Army Lt. about what weapons would be used in the next war. I dunno, he said, but in the war after the next war, sure as hell, they?ll be using spears!

First wait until the spend a bunch of money building everything out, then at the last possible moment not participate. :D

Other things the book (Kill Chain, by Andrew Cockburn) noted about the drone industry, and defense contracting these days in general: HUGE investments in computing power and software were often bundled into the deal with military hardware. Or presented as a necessary add on after the buyer (i.e. the US government) learned that the hardware needed more computing power to work as advertised.

also, the drone industry and CIA have pushed for fully automated systems... they want killing to be done without a pilot in a seat somewhere.

which was in line with another trend: more money for systems and hardware, less money for humans/service members.

I'm not disagreeing that there are those pushing for the full auto...thankfully we still have intelligent and wise people stating the HITL is a requirement.

That said, DARPA is pushing hard for the Human-Machine interface to minimize the time between when the human gives the green light and the machine executes the command. I question the degree to which the "human" is more in charge than the "machine" with that brain chip. I do not think the human brain stands much chance against the computer when it comes to one controlling the other. In a feedback loop, the machine will be faster and achieve more through minimizing the human brain's involvement...not to mention if the info coming in is skewed in favor of the brain saying "yeah, that's a legit target...DESTROY!" When the data input is from a machine already, the degree to which the HITL will be able to override a system when connected directly to that system is debatable and questionable.

Nonetheless...we are heading for either Zuck's robot controlled world or Musk's brain chip world, unless someone is able to create an alternative. I just do not think there is a different option that is faster and more accurate. Maybe a Star Trek "neural network" computer system would be considered "human"???

The future is very concerning to say the least and I am very concerned about what the world will be like in another 50 years, let alone 100. I see too many computer system glitches and downright failures to trust that future (*ring, ring*...excuse me, Texas is calling...)

The future is very concerning to say the least and I am very concerned about what the world will be like in another 50 years, let alone 100. I see too many computer system glitches and downright failures to trust that future (*ring, ring*...excuse me, Texas is calling...)

Texas wouldn't have been a problem if we were all safe in our Matrix pods.

Back