Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

AJax

jmakula87

I have read in so many places, by lots of random people (nobody in particular), that AJax has been such a patient batter this year. He was extremely patient last year as well at 3.96 pitches per plate appearance, which landed him 2nd on the Tigers to Avila and tied for 33rd in all of baseball. He is at 3.60 this year.

Not knocking him, or anybody else, but it is interesting how getting a hit on that 2-2 pitch or striking out changes the perspective of how patient of a batter he is.

It sure is crazy how our offense looks good when people in front of the Miggy/Prince get on base. Keep it up boys!

I think his pitch recognition has been better this year. He would always see a lot of pitches, but he would often swing at balls and take strikes. so far ive seen him do a lot less of both this year.

I have read in so many places, by lots of random people (nobody in particular), that AJax has been such a patient batter this year. He was extremely patient last year as well at 3.96 pitches per plate appearance, which landed him 2nd on the Tigers to Avila and tied for 33rd in all of baseball. He is at 3.60 this year.

Not knocking him, or anybody else, but it is interesting how getting a hit on that 2-2 pitch or striking out changes the perspective of how patient of a batter he is.

It sure is crazy how our offense looks good when people in front of the Miggy/Prince get on base. Keep it up boys!

Pitches per Plate Appearances is not necessarily a good indicator in how much patience a player has, especially if he strikes out a ton.

Realizing it is early and the sample size is small.

First Pitch Swinging. Jackson career = 23% of the time. This year = 13%

2-0 Counts. Jackson career = 12% of the time. This year = 19%

3-1 counts. Jackson career = 7% of the time. This year = 13%

Now, this numbers do show promise.

In addition to the numbers Rebiv posted, it also seems Jackson is doing a better job of fouling off good pitches that last year he would swing through for a strike.

But again, it is a small sample, and Jackson has had plenty of hot streaks before. Let's hope he can keep it up though, just cutting down on his strikeouts by 4-5% would enable him to become a quality leadoff hitter.

I don't think he's any more patient watching him, he's just making a lot more contact and actually looks good at the plate without the big step. Last year, he'd look foolish when chasing pitches and he'd miss them by a foot or more. So far this year, it's been the opposite. He's fouling off those pitches and hitting the ones he should hard.

Ah yes, those are all good points, and yeah, like Spock said, I think his pitch recognition is a lot better. And I guess it would depend on your baseball definition of patience. It is definitely a tiny sample size, which is kind of why I think it interesting how big of a deal is being made (and yes, I am one of those making a big deal out of it lol) He didn't look great in ST, although I didn't have a chance to watch too many of those games.

Some inconsistency should have been expected. Austin just turned 25 years-old a couple months ago.

What I love most is Yankees top minor league hitting instructor Butch Wynegar tell GM Brian Cashman that Austin Jackson was NOT ready for prime-time and may not ever be ready.

A week or two later, his trade to Detroit occurred.

Last edited:
Back