Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Al Albuquerque

jimrice

A lot of people are listing him as possible trade bait. Is he really worth much? He had bounced around for a few years before winning the job in spring training 2011. He obviously has some nice stuff, but is a team going to give much for a guy that had a nice 3-4 months?

I don't see him bringing in much via trade.

I think he could bring a decent haul just because of how many Ks he gets and how nasty of a slider he has. I don't think I'd trade him away though. I think he's a good find and is someone you'd pay a lot to try to replace in the open market.

as the year went along, so did his stock value drop.I thought earlier he had great stuff and prolly still has, but he needs time somewhere to work on his control, once he loses it it's gone.

JimRice said:
.... He obviously has some nice stuff, but is a team going to give much for a guy that had a nice 3-4 months?....

Damn, I'd like to know what you consider a great 3-4 months.

I do agree he's likely worth more to the Tigers than any other team would be willing to give up.

No middle RP with no track record will have value in trade.

DR said:
JimRice said:
.... He obviously has some nice stuff, but is a team going to give much for a guy that had a nice 3-4 months?....

I do agree he's likely worth more to the Tigers than any other team would be willing to give up.

I don't think a guy that averages over 6 walks per 9 innings is anywhere near "great".

1.87 ERA and 67 K's in 43 innings regardless of walks says he's had a hell of a year. I'd call that great. And he was good at inherited runners. So regardless the walks, he still got it done.

As for getting anything in return, he's still a RP so i doubt much. Not like someone will trade a starting 2B.

JimRice said:
DR said:

I don't think a guy that averages over 6 walks per 9 innings is anywhere near "great".

What does it matter how many walks he gives up when his whip is 1.15? Sure, that stat alone may not be "great", but his k rate mitigated his very good whip, and his ridiculous opp avg kept those walks from getting knocked in.

Bottom line, he only allowed 10% of inherited runners to score, and had an era of 1.87. Saying he didn't do great is like saying Valverde didn't do great because he allowed too many baserunners.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]1.87 ERA and 67 K's in 43 innings regardless of walks says he's had a hell of a year. I'd call that great. And he was good at inherited runners. So regardless the walks, he still got it done.

As for getting anything in return, he's still a RP so i doubt much. Not like someone will trade a starting 2B.

Guess I should have read further!

DR said:
JimRice said:

What does it matter how many walks he gives up when his whip is 1.15? Sure, that stat alone may not be "great", but his k rate mitigated his very good whip, and his ridiculous opp avg kept those walks from getting knocked in.

Bottom line, he only allowed 10% of inherited runners to score, and had an era of 1.87. Saying he didn't do great is like saying Valverde didn't do great because he allowed too many baserunners.

Good point. Valverde wasn't great. He was very solid, and had a nice year.

Benoit was a great reliever.

JimRice said:
DR said:

Now you're being picky. A guy like Mariano lost games for NYY last season but Valverde didn't. No one will say Valverde is better than Mariano, that'd be crazy. But Valverde had a better year.

JimRice said:
DR said:

Ha!

Yeah. I'd much rather my relief pitchers give up home runs and other extra base hits than walks. Who cares if they allow three times as many of their inherited runners to score. And even if those damn walks don't score....psh....walks...I hate em!

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
JimRice said:

Now you're being picky. A guy like Mariano lost games for NYY last season but Valverde didn't. No one will say Valverde is better than Mariano, that'd be crazy. But Valverde had a better year.

Didn't Valverde have 4 losses this year?

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Didn't Valverde have 4 losses this year?

In a save situation he had none. Hell Mariano lost 4 or more seven times and that doesn't include blown saves. Nonetheless, you know what I meant.

it would be silly to trade Albuquerque, he makes the minimum salary, he throws hard and can get a big strike out when needed.

I actually have a man crush on him

Back