Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

AL CY Young Comparison (Insider)

jdeb said:
Weaver's meltdown and loss to the Tigers could come back and bite him.

IMO that's why he had the meltdown. If he beat Verlander heads up he would have had the edge. Instead his team was being no hit by JV. I think that was the root cause of his blow up. He was frustrated they were being no hit and he didn't get any help. The Guillen thing was just the straw that broke the camels back.

kgdetroit said:
Pretty cut and dry to me, the same guy is at the top of the list in 5 of those 9 categories, the other 4 are split between 2 other pitchers. That same guy is also the only one on that list to have thrown a no hitter thus far this season. Its JV's to lose at this point IMO.

This sums up exactly what I think.

I have to do to much math and calc's at work, I don't want to think about it for baseball :)
Did anyone hear John Smoltz on MLB net when he was talking about his formula for picking the cy young winner?

Cliff notes version was each pitching category and assign points. So if you were 1st in wins you would get 1 point and 7th in ERA you would get 7 points, the guy with the lowest score wins the cy young.

I thought that would be really cool. I'll try and find the link to the discussion.

Ultimately for me it will come down to who makes the playoffs....i think CC is still in 3rd but if somehow both JV and Weave miss the playoffs maybe that gives him the edge.

Right now I think JV is the front runner with the amount of press some of his outings have been given.

amajjd said:
I have to do to much math and calc's at work, I don't want to think about it for baseball :)
Did anyone hear John Smoltz on MLB net when he was talking about his formula for picking the cy young winner?

Cliff notes version was each pitching category and assign points. So if you were 1st in wins you would get 1 point and 7th in ERA you would get 7 points, the guy with the lowest score wins the cy young.

I thought that would be really cool. I'll try and find the link to the discussion.

Problem with that is a 7th in ERA could mean just .12 behind the number one guy. And the 2nd in k's could mean 40 less behind the 7th ERA guy. Not that cut and dry.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
amajjd said:

Problem with that is a 7th in ERA could mean just .12 behind the number one guy. And the 2nd in k's could mean 40 less behind the 7th ERA guy. Not that cut and dry.

It isn't that cut and dry but letting bias voters pick isn't cut and dry either. The last few years have seemed like the right guy got it even though they didn't lead the league in wins though so maybe the system isn't as flawed as it usually seems

Maybe but just like the BCS. Give me real voters over a number system anyday.

Verlander has finally gotten some real national media attention the past 2/3 months, and even with a bit of Tigers bias, I say JV is the frontrunner.

Alex Avila says there have been times, after a hitter has just struck out against Verlander and is walking away, ump will say, "Hell of a pitch."

Verlander is by far the best Pitcher in baseball right now. The stats show it and he's still throwing 100 MPH fastball in the 8th inning

I saw that tweet by Buster Olney regarding what Avila said and just smiled. I'm so glad to be able to watch an absolute master at his craft do what he does here in Detroit.

Maybe but just like the BCS. Give me real voters over a number system anyday.

I think the BCS is better then voters and a playoff is better than the BCS.
Its just a different way to look at it. I really just hope JV gets the CY Young we can agree on that

I'm actually more excited that he'll win 20+ games this year, he could win 22 or 23 games. If Weaver continues his dominance and Justin has a shaky start though, I would not be too disappointed as Weaver is having a great great season. They both deserve the award with the types of seasons they are having, but right now Verlander is a little better.

Iagree but I just don't like Weaver. But better than CC.

If the season ends today, it's Verlander's. But the season won't end today unless there's a world wide catastrophe of mind blogging proportion; in which case, there probably won't be a Cy Young vote anyway - would be odd to have a world calamity occur that would end the season, but the sports writers would vote on the Cy Young Award for the AL, regardless...

personally I feel the writers would still consider the AL CY Young important enough to drum up one final vote in the face of impending armegeddon.

I know I would go to my grave satisfied that verlander won the CY Young.

the important things in life...ya know?

Good day for Verlander voters. CC got shelled in Boston and is in line to lose his 4th game this season to them. Verlander should put up a W vs the royals.

Back