Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

All Things Cabrera

Obviously as a Tigers fan, I'd want him to retire and therefore forego his remaining salary. But there's absolutely no reason for Cabrera to do that, so I'd do more of #1. I'd play him at DH (or first for a few innings in the NL) the first game of every series. He's never playing back to back, and it creates a sort of Cabrera day for every town we travel to. It gives plenty of time for Tigers fans to find a game to attend, and it probably also helps increase attendance for "Cabrera" games late in the season. I'd probably also have him play the final home game and have a big celebration.w

The NL has a DH now

The bigger problem is we really don't have a replacement. And please don't say Carpenter. That's not even a small band-aid

The bigger problem is we really don't have a replacement. And please don't say Carpenter. That's not even a small band-aid

you really don't have to have a designated DH. Honestly, you are probably better off with a roster full of players that can at least play in the field somewhere.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...abrera-left-biceps-strain-10-day-injured-list

10 Day IL stint

"We do want him to get some more at-bats this year," Hinch said. "We don't know how long it's going to take until the strength is back. That's the biggest issue with a strain. But we're hopeful he's going to be able to get back in the batter's box this year."

Translation...AJ is hoping that he comes back for a farewell tour this season and doesn't come back next year.

One month into the season and Cabrera hitting .189 with an OPS of .477

I wonder if he hangs them up before the end of the season? He should. Just ask the Tigers to pay the entire amount owed and just move on. At this point, he's just embarrassing himself.

I wonder if he hangs them up before the end of the season? He should. Just ask the Tigers to pay the entire amount owed and just move on. At this point, he's just embarrassing himself.
Money doesn't matter at all when the team spends so little. Not sure why that seems to be a concern for you. lots of guys are embarasing. At least Miggy has a HOF career. Baseball money is always about what you already did not what you're going to do. I don't care if he had a hitting streak but Baez is sub . 600 OPS, embarrassment for that kind of money. Should he retire.

Last edited:

I think they are giving him too many days off, hard to get into a rhythm when you're only playing every 3 days. It's not like he's playing in the field either, all he does it bat. I don't understand the very limited playing time here in his final year unless that was his call?

I think they are giving him too many days off, hard to get into a rhythm when you're only playing every 3 days. It's not like he's playing in the field either, all he does it bat. I don't understand the very limited playing time here in his final year unless that was his call?

They're picking the best match ups and he still can't hit. If he could still hit he'd play. He sucks now

Money doesn't matter at all when the team spends so little. Not sure why that seems to be a concern for you. lots of guys are embarasing. At least Miggy has a HOF career. Baseball money is always about what you already did not what you're going to do. I don't care if he had a hitting streak but Baez is sub . 600 OPS, embarrassment for that kind of money. Should he retire.

the money for Cabrera doesn't matter to me. I said that the Tigers should just pay him the $40M he is owed.

As far as Baez, of course he shouldn't retire. He's "only" made $62M during his career so far and he is only 30 years old. The Tigers still He's still owe him $115M. He would be beyond stupid to retire.

the money for Cabrera doesn't matter to me. I said that the Tigers should just pay him the $40M he is owed.

As far as Baez, of course he shouldn't retire. He's "only" made $62M during his career so far and he is only 30 years old. The Tigers still He's still owe him $115M. He would be beyond stupid to retire.

I was trying to make a point with Baez. Nonetheless, Cabby or someone else the teams not getting better. And I suspect in some way the fans that go to games want to see him.. He's not the most I'm bothered by. Even if he is the worse. Only 2nd year, 150 games or what you call it Tork isn't getting it.

from totally tigers

"2. Ever since the Tigers signed Miguel Cabrera, it was well-known that few could communicate well with him. That his personality was temperamental and he only engaged when he wanted. Victor Martinez was identified as the only one who could keep Miggy in check.

Miggy never bonded with any of his managers for years. He refused to return texts or phone calls in the off-season and constantly ignored his third base coach in running the bases. But now, a few years too late, A. J. Hinch has solved how to communicate and engage with Cabrera. It?s been written that the two have ?outstanding communication? with each other and that Miggy truly has liked Hinch since he came on board. Hinch?s psychology degree is certainly paying off.

One just wonders that if A. J. was managing in Detroit years ago whether some of the health issues with Cabrera, including his problematic weight, would have been addressed before they became significant issues."

IMO, this is much more of an indictment on Cabrera, than a positive comment regarding AJ

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Miguel Cabrera?s 21-year career in baseball comes to an end this week. There are 4 games left in the season in which he is expected to play.

Sixteen of those years have been spent with the Detroit Tigers. During this time, he won 2 back-to-back MVP Awards, 5 other top MVP nominations, a Triple Crown, 5 Silver Slugger awards and 7 All-Star appointments.

With the Tigers, Miggy hit a lifetime (so far) .304/ .380/ .510/ .890. His career slash line is .306/ .382/ .518 /.900.

Cabrera will finish sitting in 16th place in the 3,000 hit club with at least 3,168 hits. After Ty Cobb, he is the second Tiger in that club and has 161 more hits than Al Kaline.

Miggy holds a number of other hitting records and sits with some of the game?s best.

Unfortunately, multiple injuries ? including a broken foot, core muscle surgery and bad knees ? have slowed down his production since 2017.

As a result of both age and injuries, Miggy has held a ? WAR every year since 2017.

In all, the Tigers have paid him over $432 mill in salary which does not include bonuses given out for awards. They will pay him an additional $8 at the end of this year to buy out his 2 option years. When all is calculated, Detroit will have paid him somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 mill.

Cabrera is universally expected to be a first-round Hall of Famer, going into Cooperstown wearing the Olde English D.
As his career comes to a close and we watch his final games, what are your feelings as a fan?

How do you feel about watching Miguel Cabrera play his last games before he retires?

1. Sad to see it end.

2. Bittersweet.

3. Looking forward to moving on.

VOTE

I Voted #3 :clap:

Cabrera is universally expected to be a first-round Hall of Famer, going into Cooperstown wearing the Olde English D.
As his career comes to a close and we watch his final games, what are your feelings as a fan?

How do you feel about watching Miguel Cabrera play his last games before he retires?

1. Sad to see it end.

2. Bittersweet.

3. Looking forward to moving on.

VOTE

I Voted #3 :clap:

I vote #2. Man, that guy was fun to watch in his prime. One of the best pure hitters in the history of baseball. I wish they had the exit velo stat 16 years ago, because I would bet a lot of money on him leading the league in that category multiple times. He hit everything hard.

But, the last 6 years have mostly been ugly, and him not really taking care of himself physically caught up to him.

I will miss watching him, but it's time to move on. I hope he stays with the team in some capacity, though.

Back