Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Am I the only M fan who thinks we are ranked too high

Michlady

Now in top 10 both polls

Wisconsin win was great but one the weakest Wisconsin teams in 20 years

Take what we can get! After the insanely embarrassing games in 2019 and 2020 against Wisky, I'm elated we kicked their teeth in yesterday.

I hope their basketball team is awful as well and we beat them by 30+.

Now in top 10 both polls

First, doesn?t matter, second, who should be higher?

The Spartans and the Wolverines could arguably trade places, but it doesn?t matter, because they?re going to play each other.

The primary goal this season is to finally get to the Big Ten championship game and win it, right?

Anyway there?s a lot to do before worrying about any of that, Starting next week on the road against Nebraska, who played both the Spartans and the Sooners tough on the road and then crushed Northwestern yesterday.

Now in top 10 both polls

just going by biggunsbob's complaints in the game thread, he'd also agree with you.

I think we're just about right. I don't know that there are ten teams that I'd put in front of us right now.

Sagarin has us 6th (down from 4th) after that win, playing the 21st toughest schedule in the country.

We're we are is reasonable

I don't care about the ranking right now. In the past it seems like when I put to much stock in the polls I wind up being disappointed. Just playing hard and keep winning. I think this team can beat most of the rest of the teams on the schedule. I am doubtful they will beat PSU, but I am hoping for a win over OSU finally.

How many B1G were ranked in the top 10 at the start of the season? One? Now there are 4. I like that.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that everyone thought Arkansas was a big deal because they beat a really shitty shouldn't have been ranked A&M. They zoom into the top 10, you know, because SEC and all. And then proceed to get roughly rear ended by a really good Georgia team, 37-0. We are in the right spot, with MSU interchangeable with us. I watch BYU out here, who's in between. Good team, but no where near MSU or UM level.

Last edited:
Shit I think we(UM, MSU) are all interchangeable with Iowa, PSU, Oregon, and Cincy. On a neutral field we are all even at this point.. Oklahoma is trash. They are living by the skin of their ass every week and just don't look good. Bama, Georgia, and OSU are still miles ahead of everyone else, even with the blemish on Bucky's record.

I know it is hard to say who should be ahead of us but I just don?t feel like a top 10. Lol

I think it's funny that everyone thought Arkansas was a big deal because they beat a really shitty shouldn't have been ranked A&M. They zoom into the top 10, you know, because SEC and all. And then proceed to get roughly rear ended by a really good Georgia team, 37-0. We are in the right spot, with MSU interchangeable with us. I watch BYU out here, who's in between. Good team, but no where near MSU or UM level.
And now Kentucky zooms from NR to number 16. That doesn't happen to B1G teams. We have to fight our way up the rankings.

And now Kentucky zooms from NR to number 16. That doesn't happen to B1G teams. We have to fight our way up the rankings.

the ranking system in general is so subjective as to be almost meaningless except in hindsight, and so it's completely asinine when you think about it.

but yeah, with SEC teams it's on a whole different level of absurdity.

4-0 Kentucky was NOT one of the Top 25 teams in the country prior to this week, and had Florida manage to score at the end of the game there, with seconds left and the ball on Kentucky's 8 yard line, Kentucky still wouldn't be ranked. But now they're the 16th best team in the country?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because for past few weeks teams just ahead of UM lost while UM won. UM was obviously going to move up each time. Same will happen should they beat Nebraska as, at a minimum, either Iowa or PSU will drop in the polls. So next week UM might be #8, possibly higher.

They have to just play focused on the next team on their schedule. If they win every game, the polls will not matter.

the ranking system in general is so subjective as to be almost meaningless except in hindsight, and so it's completely asinine when you think about it.

but yeah, with SEC teams it's on a whole different level of absurdity.

4-0 Kentucky was NOT one of the Top 25 teams in the country prior to this week, and had Florida manage to score at the end of the game there, with seconds left and the ball on Kentucky's 8 yard line, Kentucky still wouldn't be ranked. But now they're the 16th best team in the country?

It is absurd! But you know at the end of the season teams will start claiming they deserve consideration for the playoffs or whatever because they beat such and such a team that WAS ranked ##. Regardless of whether such and such a team is still even in the rankings or if they ever truly deserved such rankings.

And I know what you mean ML, I don't feel like Michigan is a top 10 team. They have beaten a Washington team that lost to Montana the week before and a Wisconsin team that is on a downward spiral. Before the season these looked like very tough games, but they turned out not to be as the season progressed. The toughest games on the schedule are looking to be MSU, PSU, and OSU. Indiana has also played Michigan tough in recent years, so they are no walkover either.

Last edited:
I hope we?re not being set up for Rich Rod finishes ala? 2009 and 2010.

Last edited:
I hope we?re not being set up for Rich Rod finishes ala? 2009 and 2010.

no way. this team has taken care of business.

even RichRod's 2010 team, with the better start (5-0) had iffy score margins, struggled to put away FCS UMass at home.

We're still not good enough to just assume Big Ten road wins though, and I don't think we're talented enough to play sloppy football and still win games.

But after a certain point, I think the shock of last year's debacle, and the 2018 and 2019 OSU games has to wear off and we can have a little more confidence in our team.

I realize that with OSU to end the regular season each year, that really means we basically don't know if we're legit good, or just not bad until the end of November, which is our cross to bear as Michigan fans, I guess.

Not including 2020, M is 14-11 from 2015-2019 in the last five games of the season. So, the tendency to wither is evident.

Back