Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Andrew Luck is retiring

Crazy. Now I know why he went back for his senior year. I don't think football was everything to him and he could walk away easily.

Lots of money.

Pretty wife. Especially for how ugly that dude is.

He’s frustrated with the injuries. I bet he comes back in a year or two.

He's been hurt a lot the last few years. I dont blame him if he's Just not healing right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Andrew Luck played 86 NFL games.
Leaderboard for most TD passes in the 1st 86 games...

1. Dan Marino (196)
2. Aaron Rodgers (174)
3. Andrew Luck (171)

Passing yards thru 1st 86 games...

1. Matthew Stafford (24,039)
2. Andrew Luck (23,671)

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
? Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
? partially torn abdomen
? a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
? at least 1 concussion
? a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
? and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

🔹 2012 No. 1 overall NFL draft pick
🔹 171 touchdown passes
🔹 23,671 yards
🔹 4 Pro Bowls
🔹 2018 NFL AP Comeback Player of the Year
🔹 53-33 record

When he played he was very good. Can't blame him. Does this mean Matt moves up a spot in the QB rating?

I've seen several people trying to justify the fan anger over this, but there are a few things to consider

- He was already dealing with a leg injury at the time of his decision, there's no guarantee that he would've started the season and he most certainly wouldn't have been 100%
- If this leg injury was going to linger into the season there always would've been a moderate risk that he'd miss time
- The above considered, I think Brissett would've likely played some amount of time even without the retirement, the coaching staff had to be aware of this and should've been planning accordingly
- Brissett is certainly not better, but without the uncertainty this should at least help continuity and provide a clear path for game planning (rather than Brissett playing sporadically/unpredictably)

If Luck felt this way five months ago, then I can see some justification to the anger, but this seemed to be a more recent development. While he may have considered retirement in the past, the recent injury/rehab cycle is what pushed him over the edge.

Luck already has the money, if the potential risk for injury or trying to play hurt hindered his passion for the game then it's best for all involved that he retired. Luck is a human being like all of us, if not wanting to be partially disabled 20 years down the road is more important than winning a sport then more power to him, he made the right choice.

I've seen several people trying to justify the fan anger over this, but there are a few things to consider

- He was already dealing with a leg injury at the time of his decision, there's no guarantee that he would've started the season and he most certainly wouldn't have been 100%
- If this leg injury was going to linger into the season there always would've been a moderate risk that he'd miss time
- The above considered, I think Brissett would've likely played some amount of time even without the retirement, the coaching staff had to be aware of this and should've been planning accordingly
- Brissett is certainly not better, but without the uncertainty this should at least help continuity and provide a clear path for game planning (rather than Brissett playing sporadically/unpredictably)

If Luck felt this way five months ago, then I can see some justification to the anger, but this seemed to be a more recent development. While he may have considered retirement in the past, the recent injury/rehab cycle is what pushed him over the edge.

Luck already has the money, if the potential risk for injury or trying to play hurt hindered his passion for the game then it's best for all involved that he retired. Luck is a human being like all of us, if not wanting to be partially disabled 20 years down the road is more important than winning a sport then more power to him, he made the right choice.

I get it but why did we get angry at Sanders. Its just fans being fans. What would we think if Stafford called it quits two weeks before the season? Oh wait.

So who is there QB now? Was somewhat shocked to hear he retired had our FFL draft last night another guy picked luck in the 8 round and for the second straight year nobody drafted stafford LOL

I get it but why did we get angry at Sanders. Its just fans being fans. What would we think if Stafford called it quits two weeks before the season? Oh wait.

Fandom brings out the worst in people sometimes. If a player can?t honestly commit to the game then he shouldn?t be playing. I?m sure those same fans would have no problem with a guy who doesn?t want to play the game and plays anyway, and that?s terrible.

Fandom brings out the worst in people sometimes. If a player can?t honestly commit to the game then he shouldn?t be playing. I?m sure those same fans would have no problem with a guy who doesn?t want to play the game and plays anyway, and that?s terrible.

I'm all for people retiring.

Colts letting him keep the $12M+ they could get back from him. Somewhere, Calvin is smoking (pun intended) mad. ��

How many hated Sanders when he retired? A lot. I think its the time of the retirement. Barry after the draft and Luck right before the season.

The difference was that Barry had not had the injury history of (bad) Luck, the Lions had not won a playoff game since early in Sanders career, (the Colts have played in 2 SBs prior to Luck going 1-1) he was closing in on the NFL all-time rushing record, and the Lions had a coach who Barry disliked, b/c he didn't let him do as he pleased, unlike Fontes, such as missing mandatory OTAs and training camps.

Back