Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Another frat kicked off campus- psi upsilon

wow. we used to call them "psi Oops I joined the wrong fraternity"

the city & University have been good at whittling the numbers of houses on campus way down. I remember hearing they had some law on the books preventing fraternity houses from being built (or rebuilt) when they burned down or were condemned. it could've just been one of those things college students hear and believe (cause we're gullible and believe everything we're told in those days).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fraternities never appealed to me. Two years in Rumsey House was fraternal enough for my liking.

I used to bus tables for food at a frat and they treated my like I was hired help. Which I was, but really, they were dicks.

wow. we used to call them "psi Oops I joined the wrong fraternity"

the city & University have been good at whittling the numbers of houses on campus way down. I remember hearing they had some law on the books preventing fraternity houses from being built (or rebuilt) when they burned down or were condemned. it could've just been one of those things college students hear and believe (cause we're gullible and believe everything we're told in those days).

Same in my day ...Cy Ooops!!

was in a frat for a couple years. it had its ups and downs. as with any organization, there are good members and bad members, the proportions of which change over time.

there were some real moments of camaraderie and some moments where I wondered why the hell I was associating myself with these people. the latter seemed to predominate over time, so I quit.

I was in a frat but I can't say a single person ever wore any letters and to our credit, one snobby little sorority chick once remarked, "you guys are just a bunch of partiers and slobs who don't care about your reputation."

Our Pres of the frat at the time is now the GM of the White Sox ...another was National Sales Mgr for Vitamin Water when Coke bought them ...another is General Counsel for General Dynamics ... another was on Jeopardy for a run a few yrs ago ..another is head of Int'l marketing for the NBA .....

Slobs, all of us!

Heh

I was in a frat but I can't say a single person ever wore any letters and to our credit, one snobby little sorority chick once remarked, "you guys are just a bunch of partiers and slobs who don't care about your reputation."

Our Pres of the frat at the time is now the GM of the White Sox ...another was National Sales Mgr for Vitamin Water when Coke bought them ...another is General Counsel for General Dynamics ... another was on Jeopardy for a run a few yrs ago ..another is head of Int'l marketing for the NBA .....

Slobs, all of us!

Heh

that's pretty solid.

I don't really have too much contact with many of my former brothers. via facebook updates seems like the bulk of them are typical white-collar workers... sales managers at companies, couple attorneys, MBAs, computer programmers and start-ups. some seem to be living chill existences as whitewater rafting tour guides or similar professions.

the college dropout ones haven't done much. some managed to eventually clean themselves up and finish school after 6, 7 (or more) years. better late than never, I guess.

okay ... which house? Chi Psi, is my guess....

nope.

seems to go in cycles anyway, as membership changes. I guarantee most of the houses that were big in your day were completely different in my day.

the one constant is SAE. that place seems to always be packed with pricks, date-rapists, & violent morons, no matter what year it is.

when I was there some meathead frat got booted for beating up some Sigma Chis with baseball bats.

I was in Chi Phi on Washtenaw. not ashamed or proud, really. long time ago and many good friendships from it.

my dad was a PhD student during the early-mid 90s. I remember going with him to campus a couple times when I was a kid, and seeing guys all drunk at the house on the NW corner of Forest and Hill, playing volleyball on their lawn and thinking "Holy Crap! That looks insane!" Then when I got on campus in the late 90s the place had burned down and was a vacant lot.

when I was there some meathead frat got booted for beating up some Sigma Chis with baseball bats.

I was in Chi Phi on Washtenaw. not ashamed or proud, really. long time ago and many good friendships from it.

I didn't know much about Chi Phi. Seemed to have average guys... no particular noteworthy characteristics in my day. they weren't meatheads, they weren't trust fund kids, they weren't pretty boys, they weren't any more "druggy" than any other house, etc. I was in DKE. Gerry Ford's old fraternity at Michigan. And... all the Bush's at Yale. Prescott, George, George W.

that house that burned down was the same that carried out the beatdown when I was there ... "Sig Apes" was all I can recall - not the actual frat letters.

as for Chi Phi, my younger bro joined the year following my graduation (first me, then him at UM for 8yrs from 91-99) because he'd come to visit and got to know some of the guys who were 5th yr engineer seniors or juniors. the house changed quite a bit from my days even that quickly.

some kid came up to me in 97 when I was back for the Minny game and said something like, "oh ...you're The Victors!? are you tripping?"

"No, why the fuck would you ask me a question like that?"

apparently, according to my brother, there were tales of the Old days and my era and greatly exaggerated they were -- supposedly I spent 4yrs at M on LSD.

yeah. in the couple years after I withdrew from the house, they were kicked out of the IFC, had their membership whittled down to a single pledge class by the national chapter, and then bounced back to becoming a decent sized house on campus. very fleeting.

we seemed to be plagued more than other places by the college dropouts who were still hanging around Ann Arbor and living through their old glory days at the frat house. individually they were all cool guys, but they enjoyed the "cult of personality" they kinda acquired from some of the younger guys who looked up to them and would skew the direction of the house to keep it their own personal hangout. The national chapter and some of the more activist members actually had to get restraining orders keeping them off the property (!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the Greek thing for one quarter but it felt like I was paying to have friends. I enjoyed it but I never felt like I was missing anything after I left either.

Back