Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Another What-If

You're the Gm, what's your call?

• Josh Allen - EDGE - Kentucky

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Ed Oliver - DT - Houston

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Rashan Gary - DT - Michigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try to trade back and get more picks

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

inkfreq

Let's just say for the sake of discussion (and because it's a slow week and I am bored) that the Lions stay at #8, and all three of these guys are on the board. You're the GM now... what do you do?

That’s a no brainer. I think Allen is going to be GREAT. He helps this team more than any player in the draft could.

Unfortunately, he won’t be there so you’ve done nothing but get my hopes up.

Asshole!

This.

Jonah williams of Allen is gone and you can't trade back

Damn never thought you'd want to go O line before defense.... IF we did take O line that is a SHIT ton of draft stock the past few years on offensive line... Some are projecting him as a guard, which we need, in the NFL, but how good of value is taking a guard in the top 10? Risdon from Lionswire when asked if Williams could have a Sitton or Zach Martin immediate impact "He's not a power guy and he's never played RG before. I don't see it. I wouldn't even consider him in the 2nd round if the plan is moving him to guard. Much better guys who actually play that spot available"..... Now If they think he is good enough to play T, is he better than Decker and would he be able to supplant him at LT? Because taking a RT, to me, top 10 isn't really worth it either... But then again we are going to a run heavy scheme and need better lineman and he's one of the hardest working/best ones coming out this year, so what do I know?

Trade back. Gary couldn't produce in college with good players next to him.

EDIT: This is assuming Allen is gone.

Last edited:
Damn never thought you'd want to go O line before defense.... IF we did take O line that is a SHIT ton of draft stock the past few years on offensive line... Some are projecting him as a guard, which we need, in the NFL, but how good of value is taking a guard in the top 10? Risdon from Lionswire when asked if Williams could have a Sitton or Zach Martin immediate impact "He's not a power guy and he's never played RG before. I don't see it. I wouldn't even consider him in the 2nd round if the plan is moving him to guard. Much better guys who actually play that spot available"..... Now If they think he is good enough to play T, is he better than Decker and would he be able to supplant him at LT? Because taking a RT, to me, top 10 isn't really worth it either... But then again we are going to a run heavy scheme and need better lineman and he's one of the hardest working/best ones coming out this year, so what do I know?

Just thinking value out of pick 8. I dont see much there at 8 other...likely looking at White, Ferrill or Oliver.

Id rather trade back and get Defense in the 12-18 range.

I dont neccesarily want Jonah Williams...i could just totally see the lions going that route if theyre stuck at 8.

Heres a what if....heard a rumor Stafford to Raiders for 1st round pick was a thing. Well it was before the Kelly Stafford thing...probably not now. But would you?

Heres a what if....heard a rumor Stafford to Raiders for 1st round pick was a thing. Well it was before the Kelly Stafford thing...probably not now. But would you?

Should have sent him to the Dolphins before the start of last season when they inquired but with a sub par season that window to trading him to anyone probably disappeared.

Pre-surgery, I would have traded Stafford to the Raiders for their 4th overall pick. Gruden has always been a fan of Stafford, and is also a terrible GM, so I could see him dumping Carr (and all that dead money). That would have put us in position for a top QB plus a potential star defender. I'm not really buying Arizona taking Murray, and I don't think this year's QBs are really looking better than last year's. That's not to say I don't like them, just that I expect them to fall closer to average than elite. But even taking a step back from Stafford's normal production, the offense should improve with a bigger commitment to the run and a QB that just needs to make the obvious throw.

With the surgery, I'd rather we just kept him. I'd rather not uproot a family in the midst of something like that.

Trade back and get more guys !!!

This was my pick as well. Much as I think Allen/Oliver/Gary are good players, I don't think they are guaranteed Watt/Donald level defenders. Just an example, but lets say we trade 8 for 24 and 27 (Raiders). That could be something like Greed Williams (a true outside corner to keep Coleman in the slot) and Devin Bush (a sideline to sideline LB if we go more 3-4). Or if you like, swap one for Noah Fant (a real receiving threat at TE). Someone always falls, too, so maybe we end up with a Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat.

This was my pick as well. Much as I think Allen/Oliver/Gary are good players, I don't think they are guaranteed Watt/Donald level defenders. Just an example, but lets say we trade 8 for 24 and 27 (Raiders). That could be something like Greed Williams (a true outside corner to keep Coleman in the slot) and Devin Bush (a sideline to sideline LB if we go more 3-4). Or if you like, swap one for Noah Fant (a real receiving threat at TE). Someone always falls, too, so maybe we end up with a Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat.

I'll eat my fucking shoe if Devin Bush and Greedy Williams are both available with those picks.

I envision a situation where everyone keeps saying 'trade back' and then are completely underwhelmed with the options they are given.

Last edited:
I'll eat my fucking shoe if Devin Bush and Greedy Williams are both available with those picks.

I envision a situation where everyone keeps saying 'trade back' and then are completely underwhelmed with the options they are given.

This. It?s really easy to say ?trade back? without knowing what, if ANYTHING, is being offered. It would be nice if a couple teams fell in love with Haskins or Daniel Jones and are eager to jump up and grab him....but that isn?t likely at 8.

Hopefully someone like that idiot Gruden will fall in love with someone and trade us two first rounders to move up. But I wouldn?t move down just to pick up an extra mid rounder.

im starting to be underwhelmed with options available at 8. Hope the QBs fall to make #8 a good trade up destination.

I don't need Devin Bush or Greedy Williams to last to the end of the first time for a trade down to be worth it. Those are just names I've seen that low in mock drafts that I knew other people would recognize. Fact is most of these players in the top ten probably aren't going to be pro bowlers (some are even going to be busts). I'd rather have two chances at a solid player than one chance at an only slightly better player.

Someone always falls. Every year. And someone always rises (Ted Ginn, Mike Mamula) unexpectedly. Greedy seems to be falling.....and ILB?s are like RB?s now.....you can get them later than you used to.

Back