Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone going to Fiesta Bowl?

TheVictors

Watching tickets closely, Hotel on points and flight airfare coming down ?.

Vic Jr and I (boys only) flying in Morning Of and straight to the Game. Actually saw a TCU flag on a neighborhood porch but otherwise have heard no smack, no build up, no big worry or nobody knows?.?

Vic Jr and I (boys only) flying in Morning Of and straight to the Game. Actually saw a TCU flag on a neighborhood porch but otherwise have heard no smack, no build up, no big worry or nobody knows?.?

EDIT: I also haven't seen any smack talk or even much mention of TCU locally; the news and news sites did include a story about TCU making it, but since they lost to KState, it was more muted than might have been if they were 13-0. Texans love to talk a lot when things go their way, but quiet down quickly when they don't

I really didn't know much about the big Texas "private christian schools" except for the infamous SMU Death Penalty case, and the Baylor Rape issue before moving here.

A former coworker who went to A&M hated all three equally (SMU, TCU, and Baylor), and lumped them all together as "rich kid" schools.

I've met a fair number of Baylor alums here, but almost no TCU or SMU alums, so I can't really say anything about them.
I wanted to say to her "I actually consider all white Texans the same whether they went to a public or private university: dumb" but I kept that to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't go to either; we already have NYE plans (I will have to finagle some time to even watch on TV), and can't justify the cost to fly to LA and stay somewhere if we make the final, right now.

Maybe next year...

That's probably a good plan. Me and two buddies had plans to go to the fiesta bowl in 2006 to watch OSU vs. ND. Our brilliant plan was to go to Vegas, gamble for 2 nights, rent a car, and go to the game. Had a room in Tempe, reserved the car...all set.

We never left Vegas. Ended up drinking & gambling way too much and didn't feel like the trip to Tempe.

That's probably a good plan. Me and two buddies had plans to go to the fiesta bowl in 2006 to watch OSU vs. ND. Our brilliant plan was to go to Vegas, gamble for 2 nights, rent a car, and go to the game. Had a room in Tempe, reserved the car...all set.

We never left Vegas. Ended up drinking & gambling way too much and didn't feel like the trip to Tempe.

Since he's going with his son, instead of drinking buddies, that's probably not as much of a concern for him.

EDIT: I also haven't seen any smack talk or even much mention of TCU locally; the news and news sites did include a story about TCU making it, but since they lost to KState, it was more muted than might have been if they were 13-0. Texans love to talk a lot when things go their way, but quiet down quickly when they don't

I really didn't know much about the big Texas "private christian schools" except for the infamous SMU Death Penalty case, and the Baylor Rape issue before moving here.

A former coworker who went to A&M hated all three equally (SMU, TCU, and Baylor), and lumped them all together as "rich kid" schools.

I've met a fair number of Baylor alums here, but almost no TCU or SMU alums, so I can't really say anything about them.
I wanted to say to her "I actually consider all white Texans the same whether they went to a public or private university: dumb" but I kept that to myself.

One of my clients has a daughter going to TCU right now. He describes the school culture as cult like. His phrase about it was, "you'll be indoctrinated into TCU and you'll like it".

One of my clients has a daughter going to TCU right now. He describes the school culture as cult like. His phrase about it was, "you'll be indoctrinated into TCU and you'll like it".

huh.

It's odd, but A&M seems to have the most rabid fans here for some reason. Like I've never heard much talk from any others. And they really hate UT, although UT alums don't seem to care.

Come to think of it, A&M fans are kinda like the MSU fans of Texas, to draw an analogy people here would understand. Especially with the high-priced and hugely underachieving football team!

Baylor alums are like "Hey, I get a $1,000,000 check every year from
my family's dirty oil money fund and so I am constantly "happy" on fun pills and Ros?. I'd go to a football game... if they had a Neiman Marcus or Saks in the Stadium I could shop at."

These days, are there any other kind?

Last edited:
huh.

It's odd, but A&M seems to have the most rabid fans here for some reason. Like I've never heard much talk from any others. And they really hate UT, although UT alums don't seem to care.

Come to think of it, A&M fans are kinda like the MSU fans of Texas, to draw an analogy people here would understand. Especially with the high-priced and hugely underachieving football team!

Baylor alums are like "Hey, I get a $1,000,000 check every year from
my family's dirty oil money fund and so I am constantly "happy" on fun pills and Ros?. I'd go to a football game... if they had a Neiman Marcus or Saks in the Stadium I could shop at."

Colorado is full of transplant Texans and I know many. Your comparison between UM:MSU & UT:A&M is a good one. The Aggies are more vocally anti-UT than the other way around and seep a bit of napoleon complex. Coworker of mine from Boston has a kid at Baylor and another at Colorado. He?s Catholic but said the reason his kid chose Waco was to be away from any big city. Texas Tech grads seem decent enough, the ones I know like to have a fun time. UT grads pretty similar to M alum in many ways, IMO.

My friends daughter goes to TCU. I?d describe the family as upper middle class, Catholic but not very religious. He says the opposite - the ?C? isn?t forced down their throats, the focus is on students and education without all the woke garbage his other two kids deal with at UVA and Penn. his daughter loves it and he highly recommends it.

Last edited:
Colorado is full of transplant Texans and I know many. Your comparison between UM:MSU & UT:A&M is a good one. The Aggies are more vocally anti-UT than the other way around and seep a bit of napoleon complex. Coworker of mine from Boston has a kid at Baylor and another at Colorado. He?s Catholic but said the reason his kid chose Waco was to be away from any big city. Texas Tech grads seem decent enough, the ones I know like to have a fun time. UT grads pretty similar to M alum in many ways, IMO.

Yeah, I was surprised how much of a TX-CO connection there is. They love going up to the mountains, and that's their favorite mountain range. Cashing out a stock windfall in your late 40's or early 50's from a mid-size oil company merger, which are surprisingly common, and buying a place in CO (ideally a "ranch," with skiing nearby) is like THE dream for upper middle class TXNs.

The non-Baylor Texans I know aren't really impressed with Waco. I dunno... College Station isn't very big either, but it's public & relatively cheap to attend, so less of the prestige to go there.

Looks like SMU and TCU are both suburban Dallas-Ft Worth locales. I knew SMU was a Dallas school, but had no idea where TCU was.

Prior to meeting anyone from any of the three, I always thought of SMU as the "Out-of-control Frat Boy" of the three, while Baylor and TCU were more akin to Bob Jones U, but my former coworker said the student bodies & behavior at Baylor/TCU/SMU are all pretty much the same.

One of the first games I went to in the Big House was as a freshman in 1977 vs A&M. They had a running back with thighs the size of tree trunks so they claimed. Michigan was not going to be able to stop him. #3 Michigan won 41-3. I moved down to Galveston in 1988 and worked with many A&M alumni (there is a branch campus near Galveston). Flash forward to 1995 Alamo Bowl Michigan vs A&M. My girlfriend (and future wife) at the time was (is) an A&M graduate, but not in to sports at all. We really didn't talk about the game, but she did watch it with me. Michigan lost 22-20. Lots of pass interference no calls for A&M as I recall. Right after the game, I mean immediately after, my phone starts ringing with calls from A&M people, not saying anything just making noises like whoop whoop and then hanging up. WTF?!! Never liked A&M since then.

Last edited:
One of the first games I went to in the Big House was as a freshman in 1977 vs A&M. They had a running back with thighs the size of tree trunks so they claimed. Michigan was not going to be able to stop him. #3 Michigan won 41-3.

George Woodard was the A & M RB. He did gain >150 yards that day. Score at half was 7-3.

One of the first games I went to in the Big House was as a freshman in 1977 vs A&M. They had a running back with thighs the size of tree trunks so they claimed. Michigan was not going to be able to stop him. #3 Michigan won 41-3. I moved down to Galveston in 1988 and worked with many A&M alumni (there is a branch campus near Galveston). Flash forward to 1995 Alamo Bowl Michigan vs A&M. My girlfriend (and future wife) at the time was (is) an A&M graduate, but not in to sports at all. We really didn't talk about the game, but she did watch it with me. Michigan lost 22-20. Lots of pass interference no calls for A&M as I recall. Right after the game, I mean immediately after, my phone starts ringing with calls from A&M people, not saying anything just making noises like whoop whoop and then hanging up. WTF?!! Never liked A&M since then.

Your wife is the first A&M fan I've ever heard of that's not into sports, or all excited about the Aggies (when they're winning)

Back