Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Signs With Seagulls

Slick

Seahawks do deal with top pass rusher Avril

4834.jpg

Seahawks agreed to terms with DE Cliff Avril on a multi-year contract.

That escalated quickly. Avril's market had been dead quiet to this point, but the Seahawks came out of nowhere to snap him up. Avril turns 27 in April. He has 29 sacks and nine forced fumbles over the last three seasons. Although some have attributed Avril's success to drawing single teams next to Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, Lions GM Martin Mayhew thought enough of Avril's edge-rush ability to pay him over $10 million in 2012 as Detroit's franchise player. In Seattle, Avril will add to the Seahawks' pass rush along with Bruce Irvin as Chris Clemons tries coming back from a torn ACL. Avril will be an immediate candidate for 9-12 sacks.

He may get 10 sacks but he will also get 10 offsides 20 missed tackles countless blown assignments and multiple roughing calls.

every RB in the NFC West just smiled.....

wow this shocks me I am really curious on money now.

John clayton was just on the radio out here in seattle and he said 2 years 15 mil.... I dont think thats confirmed but thats what he said.

Edit : the 15 mil is now on espns front page as well

Last edited:
The Seattle Seahawks have reached agreement on a two-year, $15 million deal with former Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Avril received the Lions' franchise tender last offseason and didn't sign his one-year, $10.6 million contract until a week after training camp began.
Avril, who will turn 27 on April 8, finished last season with 9.5 sacks, 35 tackles and two forced fumbles.
The defensive end has 39.5 career sacks and 16 forced fumbles since 2008, when Detroit drafted him out of Purdue in the third round.

The Seattle Seahawks have reached agreement on a two-year, $15 million deal with former Detroit Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Avril received the Lions' franchise tender last offseason and didn't sign his one-year, $10.6 million contract until a week after training camp began.
Avril, who will turn 27 on April 8, finished last season with 9.5 sacks, 35 tackles and two forced fumbles.
The defensive end has 39.5 career sacks and 16 forced fumbles since 2008, when Detroit drafted him out of Purdue in the third round.

Bottom line the dude wanted out of detroit. He cost himself some cash if the 3 year 30 they supposedly offered him last year was true. F'em.

Bottom line the dude wanted out of detroit. He cost himself some cash if the 3 year 30 they supposedly offered him last year was true. F'em.

I think Avril was in it for the cash and thought his value was higher. When he saw it wasn't, he took whatever came his way.

hmm..wonder if avril even starts..don't they have clemons and irvin at DE?..or are they going to put all 3 on the field at once?

hmm..wonder if avril even starts..don't they have clemons and irvin at DE?..or are they going to put all 3 on the field at once?

Came across this: Avril could help at the ?Leo? in Seattle's defense ? a stand-up rush role in what's essentially a hybrid 4-3/3-4 approach.

Came across this: Avril could help at the ?Leo? in Seattle's defense ? a stand-up rush role in what's essentially a hybrid 4-3/3-4 approach.

It's a 4-3 under like what Greg Mattison runs at Michigan if I'm not mistaken.

avril wanted more money than we gave jones, quin, and bush combined...even after the good year he had in 2011 i wouldn't make that trade.

Seattle fans all over Twitter and ESPN claim Cliff is the missing piece and they now have the best defense is the NFL....lol

Back