Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Update

mhughes0021 said:
SLICK said:
isn't Mario Williams an OLB now ?
he was forced to that position when houston switched to a 3-4. With how well brooks reed and connor barwin played on the outside for them I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt offer mario huge money via extension/tag. Hes still a de first imo...dude is huge. Not like he shed 30 lbs to become a lb or something.

not according to the Texans...he's an OLB in the future.

they love Watt and Antonio Smith at DE.

SLICK said:
mhughes0021 said:
he was forced to that position when houston switched to a 3-4. With how well brooks reed and connor barwin played on the outside for them I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt offer mario huge money via extension/tag. Hes still a de first imo...dude is huge. Not like he shed 30 lbs to become a lb or something.

not according to the Texans...he's an OLB in the future.

they love Watt and Antonio Smith at DE.

correct, i mean in a 4-3 hes a DE.

lionsftw said:
We are talking about the same Mario Williams that was a #1 pick by Houston, has 53 career sacks in 82 games and is only 26 years old right? I mean I understand he got hurt this season but it wasn't like he wrecked a leg or anything. Dudes gonna get Julius Peppers money if he somehow hits the open market!

Avril has 30 sacks and 14 FF in 57 games played and is only 25. Based on your math he should get double Peppers money???

you being ignorant now. Avril for his career averages 8.4 sacks per 16 games. Williams for his career averages 10.4 sacks per 16 games. say what you want about it but that's a roughly 25% upgrade in productivity per 16 games just in terms of sacks not to mention Williams is a more complete DE with a much larger skill set!

listen, weather you want to acknowledge it or not Williams IS arguably the best 4-3 DE in the league, this is a FACT! He's so good that he made the move to OLB after his 5th season and instantly became one of the best 3-4 OLB's in the league. If he somehow became a free agent 4-3 teams would be lining up around the block for a chance top sign this dude.

Avril on the other hand is probably not even in the top 10 discussion for 4-3 DE's as he's a one trick pony speed rusher. yes he is good at his one trick but without playing along 2-3 other really good Dlinemen he would be neutralized in a lot of ways. Avril will get around 8 mill per and he should be plenty happy for that because if he was, oh I dunno, a Jacksonville Jaguar he would be basically Kalimba Edwards. . .

lionsftw said:
you being ignorant now. Avril for his career averages 8.4 sacks per 16 games. Williams for his career averages 10.4 sacks per 16 games. say what you want about it but that's a roughly 25% upgrade in productivity per 16 games just in terms of sacks not to mention Williams is a more complete DE with a much larger skill set!

listen, weather you want to acknowledge it or not Williams IS arguably the best 4-3 DE in the league, this is a FACT! He's so good that he made the move to OLB after his 5th season and instantly became one of the best 3-4 OLB's in the league. If he somehow became a free agent 4-3 teams would be lining up around the block for a chance top sign this dude.

Avril on the other hand is probably not even in the top 10 discussion for 4-3 DE's as he's a one trick pony speed rusher. yes he is good at his one trick but without playing along 2-3 other really good Dlinemen he would be neutralized in a lot of ways. Avril will get around 8 mill per and he should be plenty happy for that because if he was, oh I dunno, a Jacksonville Jaguar he would be basically Kalimba Edwards. . .

with the numbers provided its only a 12% increase in sacks. And who is being ignorant?....im just stating facts. It was Marios first year in the 3-4....he got injured for the entire year and youre annointing him as the best 3-4 lber in the league? lol, thats ignorant.

I did no such thing. I said he switched positions and became one of the best, which he was through his first five games. And its not a 12% increase its a 23% increase.

And your not even stating facts. Your spewing off random cap numbers that have nothing to do with anything because were not shelling out 15 mill a year for a DE in free agency that probably won't even become a free agent.

Anyways I'm done with this one. Pretty pointless because I feel very confident about my opinion as it appears you do so there's no point in debating.

schles192 said:
He's our youngest DE, if the price is right he will be back.
Thats a big if. And I don't think it will be. Thats the main problem.

I like Avril, however he is getting a bit overrated. A healthy LoJack in my opinion, is just as good (better against the run). Let him walk if he makes high demands.

sunnydlitex123 said:
I like Avril, however he is getting a bit overrated. A healthy LoJack in my opinion, is just as good (better against the run). Let him walk if he makes high demands.

There were rookies with 15+ sacks on the year. Avrils 11 sacks were weak sauce.

mhughes0021 said:
sunnydlitex123 said:

Name one rookie with 15+ sacks in the regular season.

Tied for 2nd one behind Terrell Suggs and Charles Woodson for most turnovers created by single player. Awesome Sauce.

cheeno said:
mhughes0021 said:

0. Although Aldon Smith got 14 this year

lp4ever41 said:
cheeno said:
0. Although Aldon Smith got 14 this year
+1 in the post season = 15

Avril had 11 = shitty

Plus 0 in the post season = shittier

edit: looks like they gave avril a gift .5 sack in the NO game somehow. He was still shitty that entire game lol.

11 sacks is nothing is my point....he played way too much to not get higher numbers if he wants charles johnson numbers.

A guy who benefited from great all around defense including some pretty good DBs, All Pro LBs and Dlinemen. The guy who takes the cake is Jared Allen, that D is pretty brutal and came within a Favre flop of breaking the sack record.

cheeno said:
A guy who benefited from great all around defense including some pretty good DBs, All Pro LBs and Dlinemen. The guy who takes the cake is Jared Allen, that D is pretty brutal and came within a Favre flop of breaking the sack record.

what do you mean?! We have the best dline in football remember?!!! lol. Avril saw 1 v1 alllll year long....not good production when thats the case and he played every game.

Not good production? He was 5th in the league among D lineman!!! With dbs who couldn't cover a shock victim at an accident scene.

cheeno said:
Not good production? He was 5th in the league among D lineman!!! With dbs who couldn't cover a shock victim at an accident scene.
The problem is, 11 isn't GREAT for a guy who doesn't bother against the run. If he were a more complete DE, 11 would be outstanding. I want a more complete DE though.

Back