Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Update

my guess is that the cliff situation will go much more like the chris houston and stephen tulloch ones this last year...he will test the market..see if anyone wants to give him what he wants...the lions will hold firm...and either he gets his giant contract somewhere else..or he signs here for an affordable price..the lions like their talent...but so far they have made sure to go and get it for the right price also...has mayhew given out a bad contract since he's been in the FO?

Yes, because saying "Just not resigning him cause the guy wants to much would be the last and worst option to happen to us." and listing it as an option that could happen this off season clearly means i speak directly with Avril and hes told me how much money he wants this off season. Now you guys are just reaching in order to show your douchebaggery.

I like Avril, but I think we may ultimately be better off letting him walk and drafting a guy like Crick late in the 1st round and coming back in the 2nd with an interior OL pick. Save the money we'd spend on Avril and put it toward an extension for Megatron.

lionsftw said:
We are talking about the same Mario Williams that was a #1 pick by Houston, has 53 career sacks in 82 games and is only 26 years old right? I mean I understand he got hurt this season but it wasn't like he wrecked a leg or anything. Dudes gonna get Julius Peppers money if he somehow hits the open market!

And Wright was like what, the 6th most coveted corner in last years free agent market? Nobody was beating down the door there. The only other team that gave him a sniff was Cleveland where he had spent his whole career. He actually took a pay cut from what they offered him to come here and be a starter because he lost his starting job to Haden and he was hoping a one year deal being a starter here would lead him too a bigger payday. Well guess what? IMO it didn't happen and I honestly believe hes not back next year.

Webb on the other hand has had a very nice third year, starting for Bmore. He already has 5 picks and could make a big impression with the Ravens still playing if he has a big game or two in the playoffs. Might get 5 yrs and 30 mill or could blow up and get 6 yrs for 45 mill or something.

Not sure we're in the market to spend that much on a CB unless he's gonna be a major upgrade. Still too many spots to improve. Just my opinion though.

Bump for Antonio Cromartie/Jonathan Joseph money?!!!

lgolfer said:
The offensive line is not "gold". Our offensive line needs some help if we are ever going to be able to run the ball

True, i can't argue that. It's time for a "new" LT, a C and at least a RG IMO...

Also, having healthy RB's helps out our running game a lot too. Scrubs like K. Williams, K. Smith and Morris don't scare anyone.

Avril is after big money, more than the lions realize that he is inherently worth. He will not be a lion next year.

sunnydlitex123 said:
Avril is after big money, more than the lions realize that he is inherently worth. He will not be a lion next year.

He should be rewarded and he's already come out and said he wants 'similar' money than Hali, Edwards. Somewhere within the 8-10 million mark. Well worth it....

If not? Good for them!! Let's just get rid of one of our best defensive players we got. Great way to build on an already abysmal defense. Brilliant fn move if you ask me....

I know you have a hard on for Avril but please use "most sacks in 2011" rather than best defensive player. Or maybe you said one of, regardless ;-) Avril is a product of having Suh next to him. Meaning, we could put someone else there and he'd do well. Avril is a nice player but nothing great.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I know you have a hard on for Avril but please use "most sacks in 2011" rather than best defensive player. Or maybe you said one of, regardless ;-) Avril is a product of having Suh next to him. Meaning, we could put someone else there and he'd do well. Avril is a nice player but nothing great.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Willie Young and Lo Jack would do as well if not better than Avril, IMO.

I'm not saying Avril is bad....but he is still TERRIBLE against the run and he has been here 3 years and still has ONE pass rush move. ONE. In no way should we give him elite DE money.

He isn't elite.

I really think LoJack is the real deal. I believe with some more playing time we will forget all about Avril. I was hoping LoJack was going to play more and more as KVB started playing less and less and took on more of a leadership and locker room presence role but I do not see how Avril will be back next year with the money that he wants. We will be fine if he does decide to go though. Perhaps they will snag a developmental DE in the later rounds of this draft or we may draft one higher within the next 2-3 years. I would like to retain Avril for continuity but we will be fine without him as I said. I think LoJack is going to surprise a lot of people next year.

michiganmania said:
I really think LoJack is the real deal. I believe with some more playing time we will forget all about Avril. I was hoping LoJack was going to play more and more as KVB started playing less and less and took on more of a leadership and locker room presence role but I do not see how Avril will be back next year with the money that he wants. We will be fine if he does decide to go though. Perhaps they will snag a developmental DE in the later rounds of this draft or we may draft one higher within the next 2-3 years. I would like to retain Avril for continuity but we will be fine without him as I said. I think LoJack is going to surprise a lot of people next year.

I could easily see them going LB or DE in rd 1 of this years draft. OT will be a reach with whats left at 23. Glenn could be an option at G. But they will have to decide if replacing/upgrading Peterman is more beneficial than finding a day 1 starter at DE or LB.

CB could be a reach too and will basically come down to how Jenkins grades out if hes even still on the board and if MM decided to bring a guy in with character issues.

OT will be a reach with whats left at 23.

I dunno Adams is looking pretty good right now with what is coming out of the senior bowl.

cheeno said:

I dunno Adams is looking pretty good right now with what is coming out of the senior bowl.

Ya there always a guy or 2 that rises late based on senior bowl and combine results. Adams could definitely be one. my dark horse is Levy Adcock...big dude.

mhughes0021 said:
cheeno said:

Ya there always a guy or 2 that rises late based on senior bowl and combine results. Adams could definitely be one. my dark horse is Levy Adcock...big dude.

Just looked into this guy and I like him. Good pass protector. Rated as a mid to late round guy but I cold see him moving up to a 3. Definitely big 6'6 320.

tonyballs said:
sunnydlitex123 said:

He should be rewarded and he's already come out and said he wants 'similar' money than Hali, Edwards. Somewhere within the 8-10 million mark. Well worth it....

If not? Good for them!! Let's just get rid of one of our best defensive players we got. Great way to build on an already abysmal defense. Brilliant fn move if you ask me....
What Edwards are you talking about? He mentioned Hali and Charles Johnson. They both got $12 mil. How did you get $8-10? Huge difference between $10 and $12

lp4ever41 said:
tonyballs said:

What Edwards are you talking about? He mentioned Hali and Charles Johnson. They both got $12 mil. How did you get $8-10? Huge difference between $10 and $12

who mentioned hali and charles?

cheeno said:
mhughes0021 said:

Just looked into this guy and I like him. Good pass protector. Rated as a mid to late round guy but I cold see him moving up to a 3. Definitely big 6'6 320.

for a guy that had to pass protect like 50 times a game he did a good job.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I know you have a hard on for Avril but please use "most sacks in 2011" rather than best defensive player. Or maybe you said one of, regardless ;-) Avril is a product of having Suh next to him. Meaning, we could put someone else there and he'd do well. Avril is a nice player but nothing great.

Who gives a shit what Avril is a product of? Is Suh going anywhere? No, he's not. So, why not keep Avril next to him for the next 5 years? It makes sense, no?

And he has been one of our "best defensive players" on the team. Name 2 other players better besides Suh. You can't! He's improved every year. It's not about having a fn hard-on for the guy. It's about not giving up your young talent. It's fn retarded if they let him go IMO. And to say that if you put anybody next to Suh, they'd do just as well as Avril is dead wrong.

Back