Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Back up QB

mhughes0021

Who would u guys want to see backing up Staff if Hill and Stanton sign elsewhere? I liked Campbell or Orton but they got scooped up fast. Leinhart was just released, Garrard is out there, lolMcNabb....whod you guys have in mind?

Someone is going to say Henne, but he will cost a few bucks and might want to go to a place where there is a chance he can start. Me I'd take Sage Rosenfels, a cheap vet who by all accounts is a vet number two film guy that can help Staff in a similar way that Hill did. I don't know if Hill is gone for sure yet though.

cheeno said:
Someone is going to say Henne, but he will cost a few bucks and might want to go to a place where there is a chance he can start. Me I'd take Sage Rosenfels, a cheap vet who by all accounts is a vet number two film guy that can help Staff in a similar way that Hill did. I don't know if Hill is gone for sure yet though.

Rosenfels signed a 2 year deal back with the Vikes 2 days ago.

SLICK said:
cheeno said:

Well shows what I know. Although in my defense I don't really keep up on the backup qb beat of free agents. Someone like Sage would do for me. Not sure who is out there.

cheeno said:
SLICK said:

Well shows what I know. Although in my defense I don't really keep up on the backup qb beat of free agents. Someone like Sage would do for me. Not sure who is out there.

Lions dont resgn Hill , they're fucked....nothing but garbage left out there.

unless you can get Henne to take back up money for a year , which I seriously doubt.

SLICK said:
cheeno said:

Lions dont resgn Hill , they're fucked....nothing but garbage left out there.

unless you can get Henne to take back up money for a year , which I seriously doubt.

We might have leverage with Jake Delhomme, I'm sure he would like to reattach his head.

Maybe Cassel gets dumped post draft? Kolb might get tossed out of ARI if they get Manning. SEA could be dropping one of their guys like Whitehurst if they grab a QB like Flynn or draft one. But ya....situation is bleak if Hill signs elsewhere lol

Well running down the list this is the group who I think are in our price range. Pretty sad looking group too be honest about it.

Charlie Batch, Kellen Clemens, Jake Delhomme, Dennis Dixon, Derek Anderson, Rex Grossman, Josh Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Matt Leinart, JP Losman, Luke McCown, Donovan McNabb, Curtis Painter, Brady Quinn, Chris Redman, Sage Rosenfals, Drew Stanton, Charlie Whitehurst, and Vince Young.

There were some other guys who we could obviously afford but they're complete bums and I left off the people who I just don't see us ponying up for (i.e. Henne). From this group I would either like someone from the savvy vet mold who can pick up the system A.S.A.P. or somebody in the mobile runner mold so they pretty much change what teams have to plan for when they enter the game (i.e. Joe Webb) and just pray the guy never has to go for more than a quarter or two.

My choices would probably be

Savvy Vet
Batch, Rosenfels, Kellen Clemens, Chris Redman, Stanton (cause he knows the system) and Jake Delhomme (although I'm pretty sure hes like an old broken dog who's completely gun shy so probably not)

Mobile Backup
Josh Johnson and Dennis Dixon (always felt both these guys had some decent talent to work with)

I thought Josh Johnson was 100% lock to go to SF. harbaughs been wanting him back ever since his days in SDSU together. He may even end up the starter there if something weird happens with Alex Smith in coontract negotiations.

That being said....hed be a good back up.

mhughes0021 said:
I thought Josh Johnson was 100% lock to go to SF. harbaughs been wanting him back ever since his days in SDSU together. He may even end up the starter there if something weird happens with Alex Smith in coontract negotiations.

That being said....hed be a good back up.

that would actually my choice to....I also thought he'd be a Niner by now

@AdamSchefter As @taniaganguli reported, former Dolphins QB Chad Henne reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Jaguars.

servinthed said:
@AdamSchefter As @taniaganguli reported, former Dolphins QB Chad Henne reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Jaguars.

He can beat out Gabbert....but probably wont beat out Tebow!!!!

Find a way to resign Stanton on the cheap and draft a 3rd round QB for depth. Easy.

inkfreq said:
Find a way to resign Stanton on the cheap and draft a 3rd round QB for depth. Easy.

Stanton is not a number 2. And why would you use a 3rd round pick on a QB, that's a waste.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
inkfreq said:

Stanton is not a number 2. And why would you use a 3rd round pick on a QB, that's a waste.

I agree, but with some of the names out there...

And with the 3rd, yeah man way too high for someone who will spend his career holding a clipboard.

Derek Anderson - QB - Panthers

Panthers re-signed QB Derek Anderson to a one-year contract.
Anderson is "just excited to get back and build on the success that we had last season." Familiar with Rob Chudzinski's offense from their time together in Cleveland, Anderson will back up Cam Newton again in 2012.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
inkfreq said:

Because while I love everything Stafford does when healthy, I'm still not sold on him staying healthy. I'd like to have a project QB with some real potential backing him up, with Stanton to serve as the #3 to help coach the kid along.

Worst case scenario, Staff gets hurt again, and the kid needs to play. Best case scenario is he gets some good looks in garbage time over the next few years and we spin him off on a team for a phat draft pick ala Kolb.

There are much worse ways to spend a third rounder... Amari Speivey comes to mind.

And I know Stanton does't want to remain a third stringer, but he also knows he's not going to be a starter. So you tell him this is his shot to be a second stringer with Hill moving on, and let a rookie beat him out on the depth chart. A couple more years of a guy who at least knows the system doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

inkfreq said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Because while I love everything Stafford does when healthy, I'm still not sold on him staying healthy. I'd like to have a project QB with some real potential backing him up, with Stanton to serve as the #3 to help coach the kid along.

Worst case scenario, Staff gets hurt again, and the kid needs to play. Best case scenario is he gets some good looks in garbage time over the next few years and we spin him off on a team for a phat draft pick ala Kolb.

There are much worse ways to spend a third rounder... Amari Speivey comes to mind.

And I know Stanton does't want to remain a third stringer, but he also knows he's not going to be a starter. So you tell him this is his shot to be a second stringer with Hill moving on, and let a rookie beat him out on the depth chart. A couple more years of a guy who at least knows the system doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

I've always been in favor of a project QB in the draft but not a 3rd rounder. More like a 6th. Someone that has a good skill set, strong arm etc. The Lions still need pieces to contend and a QB in the 3rd doesn't help. IMO.

inkfreq said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Point made.

Back