Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Back up QB

inkfreq said:
Go sign David Carr on the cheap so we can all reminisce about the 2002 draft... wait.. maybe that's not so good.

But, I haven't heard anything on him signing, and he'd be a serviceable 3rd stringer.

Giants.

Did they re-sign him? Last I had heard, Tampa wanted him, but he said no, and I thought he hadn't signed anywhere yet.

inkfreq said:
Did they re-sign him? Last I had heard, Tampa wanted him, but he said no, and I thought he hadn't signed anywhere yet.

yup...last week.

Didn't have much of a chance to being sacked that much out of the gate. He had a great arm, but you can only get leveled so many times before you get happy feet trying to make something happen.

I have no idea the exact number of times he was sacked, but a billion sounds about right.

I think it was higher than that.

Some people will say the same about Joey Blue Skies. Whether or not it was their fault, factors out of their control, or a mixture of both; we'll never know. What we do know though is they never lived up to their hype....

If we draft a qb...russell wilson would be perfect in the 5th imo. If he lasts that long.

Detroit Lions will look to NFL Draft for a backup quarterback
Published: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 4:00 PM
Anwar S. Richardson | [email protected] By Anwar S. Richardson | [email protected]
Follow

The Detroit Lions will look for a backup quarterback in this year's NFL Draft and Boise State's Kellen Moore could be an option.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Detroit Lions have addressed most of its needs in free agency this year.

Detroit re-signed receiver Calvin Johnson, leaving him under contract for the next eight years. The Lions solidified its left tackle position by re-signing Jeff Backus. Detroit re-signed linebacker Stephen Tulloch for five years. The Lions also signed free agent cornerback Jacob Lacey, who will compete for a starting position this season.

The Lions lost third string quarterback Drew Stanton in free agency, but Martin Mayhew, Detroit's general manager, said his team might address that need in this year's NFL Draft during Tuesday's owners meetings.

"There's not really an urgency to do something right now with that position," Mayhew said. "We'll probably get into the draft and see what is available draft wise, then play it by ear. If we draft a guy, then he'll be our third. If we don't, then we'll go out after the draft and look at the free agency market."

According to WalterFootball.com, some of the quarterbacks who could be available in the latter rounds are Russell Wilson (Wisconsin), B.J. Coleman (UT-Chattanooga), Austin Davis (Southern Miss.), Kellen Moore (Boise State) and Chandler Harnish (Northern Illinois).

"I think that role, whether it's filled in the draft or free agency, will be a developmental type player," Mayhew said. "I don't know how old that guy will be, but we'll see him as guy who has the opportunity to develop and has upside, whoever that player is."

To be honest, it seems like there are so many of this caliber of QB available after the draft, that I would hate to spend a pick to grab a 3rd string development QB that is unlikely to play.

Even if Matt went down again, and Hill broke some more digits ala 2010, I doubt we'd turn the ball over to a developmental rookie anyway. We'd go find some over the hill washed up veteran who barely ever had an arm and no longer does.

I'm not sure why, but that's just what football teams do.

Fifth round picks often produce starters or top flight backups. Not always certainly, but often. I'd rather see the team look for real production rather than a false sense of security and someone who might dress once a year if he's lucky.

Back