Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bassmaster College Series National Championship

Well, I politely disagree as well, and we can leave it at that. I totally forgot what this thread was even about.

The reason being GREED?

Hey, did you ever read that Walter Byers' (head of the NCAA from the 50's to the 80's) book?

I finally started it last week, and am about 1/3 of the way through. It has been... illuminating. I was going to start a separate thread on it when I finish. all these stories... how MSU actually joined the Big Ten, how the SMU scandal went down, how the SEC & southern schools were always driving the race to the bottom, etc.

It's eye opening how many coaching legends got where they are by landing recruits through paying under-the-table, and how much a parasite college sports are on universities (contrary to their claims of being self-sufficient)

I actually tried to start it on Sunday, but was pretty wiped out from the weekend. Didn't get too far, but plan on getting into it this week. Looking forward to this read.

I actually tried to start it on Sunday, but was pretty wiped out from the weekend. Didn't get too far, but plan on getting into it this week. Looking forward to this read.

I'm about halfway through now. I won't spoil any parts for you...

I think he is a mostly honest narrator, although there are some places where he tries to blame other people or point fingers to excuse what the NCAA had become under him.

in the end I think he realizes they opened a pandora's box by brining in TV money and selling out, and it's out of control now (and even more out of control now than when he wrote it.)

It's interesting reading behind the scenes of what drove a lot of the rule changes that - for better or worse - made the game what it is now. And yet fans will argue over these things like they're sacred and were set in stone by god himself 100 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't matter.

all those people aren't going to learn to fish now. he created a generation of loafers.

Just caught up on this thread. Saw what you did there.

Nice.

?Cause...like...Jesus...? And fish? And loafers? Like...fish and loaves?

Get it? Get it?

That?s good.

Just caught up on this thread. Saw what you did there.

Nice.

?Cause...like...Jesus...? And fish? And loafers? Like...fish and loaves?

Get it? Get it?

That?s good.

I can't take credit for making that joke intentionally.

maybe subconsciously.

I clicked on the link expecting to read how the dude on the left placed in the men's division and the chick on the right placed in the women's division. Turns out they're both dudes.

I clicked on the link expecting to read how the dude on the left placed in the men's division and the chick on the right placed in the women's division. Turns out they're both dudes.

I couldn't believe a man would have long hair like that either.

But like you, I was also born in Des Moines, Iowa in 1950, and never left, watched television, or read magazines.

I couldn't believe a man would have long hair like that either.

But like you, I was also born in Des Moines, Iowa in 1950, and never left, watched television, or read magazines.

If only you could make money being offended by literally everything - including comments about a dude on your school's fishing team. If being a snowflake was a profession, you'd be richer than Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos combined.

I was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana but my family moved before I was old enough to remember any of it and since then, I've never lived anywhere more than 14 years. I'd bet just about anything I've seen a lot more of the world than you have. Even if I haven't, I would bet there are guys with long hair in Fort Wayne (and even in Des Moines, Iowa) - some that look like chicks and some that don't. This guy on the uofm fishing team happens to be one that looks like a chick.

Last edited:
Maybe someone who's a more proficient fisherman than me can answer this question I've always had about competitive fishing but never cared to look it up: How do fishing contests work to make it a game of skill rather than luck?

Like presumably there are better spots than others to fish at. Assuming all participants are competent fishermen, is the outcome really determined by who can identify the best place on the lake to fish?

What if the best fishing spot is obvious to all participants? is it just a race to get to it first?

Tournaments are generally won by weight off a 5 fish limit. I have fished a few kayak tournaments that use length, but I would say since most major tournament circuits use the 5 fish limit that's what has happened here.

So to reach that limit, you would go fish a given body of water along with whoever else is in the tournament. After a set number of hours, usually 8, you meet up and have a weigh in where the one with the heaviest weight is the winner.

One thing that I want to point out is that anyone who fishes in these high level tournaments are competent fisherman. But there are many different ways to fish and each fisherman has his own expertise. You have to take in to account lots of factors when fishing in these tournament and yes one of them is luck. Yes if the best spot is obvious it is a race to that spot. However these guys are fishing very large lakes with many spots, so a lot of them have pre fished the area and found multiple spots, or maybe due to timing or whether they fish have moved and now you have to search to find them. There really is a element of science and skill to it.

Tournaments are generally won by weight off a 5 fish limit. I have fished a few kayak tournaments that use length, but I would say since most major tournament circuits use the 5 fish limit that's what has happened here.

So to reach that limit, you would go fish a given body of water along with whoever else is in the tournament. After a set number of hours, usually 8, you meet up and have a weigh in where the one with the heaviest weight is the winner.

One thing that I want to point out is that anyone who fishes in these high level tournaments are competent fisherman. But there are many different ways to fish and each fisherman has his own expertise. You have to take in to account lots of factors when fishing in these tournament and yes one of them is luck. Yes if the best spot is obvious it is a race to that spot. However these guys are fishing very large lakes with many spots, so a lot of them have pre fished the area and found multiple spots, or maybe due to timing or whether they fish have moved and now you have to search to find them. There really is a element of science and skill to it.

Gotcha. Thanks for answering my question by posting actual useful information, instead of posting dumb bullshit like everyone else here does, including myself.

Back