Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bell Out For Season

Yup.
He will really be missed. Shame he was off to such a good start.

Last edited:
Tough break, senior year too. Hopefully his recovery is quick and he'll be ready to workout for teams before the draft. Unless he can still come back. Not sure his situation

I would be shocked if he was not eligible to play for UM next year, should that be his preferred option. NCAA has medical redshirt for this exact type of situation.

That said, he could understandably choose to enter the Draft and if undrafted he certainly would be picked up as a UDFA by a team like the Lions who are desperately needing a WR. Hell, I would be disappointed if the Lions did not use a late round pick on him. Too much potential. Yes, he will be coming in after Covid 2020 and Medical 2021, but if he didn't show his potential in that 1 game to use a late round flyer on him I would honestly be shocked.

Many players have recovered from these injuries. And while many have experienced injuries throughout their brief NFL careers, if a team is expecting a player who was never injured then they will have benchwarmers filling the roster.

To add a bit more, Waddle was a top 10 draft pick after his season ending injury. One could argue it was an ankle whereas Bell is a knee, but dies that really make a difference to teams desperate for a WR? Heck, Bell might not even be ready to play till the 2nd half of the NFL season and I would still be ok with Lions using a Day 3 pick to get him.

Looks like it happened when he tried to make the last cut on the punt return, which to me makes it more sad for the kid. He was making a great return and may have broken it for a TD, and then his knee gives out. With the game he was having I was thinking he was going to be an really important part of the team and a difference maker in some games. Big loss for Michigan.

Heartbreaking loss for the team?. Difference maker and captain. Sucks big time

I would be shocked if he was not eligible to play for UM next year, should that be his preferred option. NCAA has medical redshirt for this exact type of situation.

If he decided to come back, he would likely have two more years of eligibility. Last year doesn't count because of COVID and you have to assume that he'd qualify for a medical redshirt after playing for less than a half this season. That being said, I don't there's anyway he would come back for more than one season. He has NFL potential and there's no reason for him to spend 6 years in college.

PFF didn't have him in their top 100 prospects before the injury, so maybe he decides to come back for one more year and build up his draft stock. He may not want to risk another injury in college either. Just have to wait and see.

That's why I think he may consider going the UDFA path. Signing a UDFA contract, to my understanding, does not lock him into a Rookie Contract type of deal the way being drafted does. Maybe I am incorrect, but if he does a UDFA minimum pay contract for 1 year and becomes a high quality player in that year, I believe he can sign for a more lucrative contract in year 2.

But I am not an expert and that scenario is still a gamble for him should his recovery take a full year or more.

So it might come down to his projected recovery timeline, which I am not aware being announced yet. IMO if it is one that needs a full 12+ months, his best option is likely to play for UM in the 2nd half of next season. Do well and he likely becomes a Day 2 target at worst, but based on Waddle he might actually get picked Day 1.

Just really feels like that recovery time will be the deciding factor.

Back